Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 01:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327935 Posts in 13427 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The World Cup - do the Americans care?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: The World Cup - do the Americans care?  (Read 17828 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2006, 11:56:49 AM »

I don't know if you've noticed it or not, but the World Cup of Football (that's right, football - not soccer!) is going on in Germany. I know that football has never really caught on in the US, so I'm just wondering if anyone in N. America gives a damn about it? Here in Europe it's a huge thing, obviously, with World Cup events and happenings being first side news everywhere.

Also, how come you yanks hate the sport so much? I've heard people say that it's too slow or boring... but these same people have in the next senteance praised baseball, NASCAR and American Football. It doesn't make sense :P
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 12:18:32 PM »

I am in love with the World Cup....I watch it with bated breath every four years. I work in a bar and one of the things I throw up on the TV behind the bar is the World Cup during the lunch rush.

Why do American's hate it?

1) We just don't understand it.
2) We have very little exposure to it.
3) Our US Team sucks more than our Olympic Basketball team in 2004.
4) Low scoring. Americans LOVE to see really high scoring sporting events.

I personally find it to be a sport that the American's still dont dominate. It's exciting to see people in my bar rooting for Argentina, or Germany, and then when the USA comes on, they root for the other side. It's frankly one of the last true sports....it's not dominated by steroid use, not overloaded with criminals, and people aren't getting $10-$11 million a year to play. They play cause they love the fucking game. Maybe that's why we hate it....

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 12:37:12 PM »

people aren't getting $10-$11 million a year to play

You wish. Dutch players may not earn 10-11 miljoen, but they do have contracts that are worth a few million. It can't be that different in other countries.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 12:39:43 PM »

One big factor about televised sports in America is corporate sponsorships.  When you go see a live baseball or American football game, they take what are called "commercial time-outs" so that they can run TV commercials.  

In soccer (I'll use this term so that people won't get confused between it and American football if I just say football), you can't do that.  Each half has to be played for 45 minutes straight without fail.  No commercial time-out or anything like that.  Therefore, it falls out of favor with the television industry because they can't air commercials during a soccer game.  

And if a sport isn't televised, it won't be popular in America because we're a country of television-whores.  And soccer will almost never be televised because the ad companies can't run oodles of commercials during a soccer game.  And a big draw for people spending money on upgraded cable TV packages is so they can watch (American) football or baseball without commercial interruption.  Heaven forbid the capitalist pigs give us a televised sport on a free network channel commercial free, which is what they'd have to do to air a soccer game on a mainstream channel.  

However, soccer is surprisingly popular among young kids.  I mean, we have the term "soccer mom."  Main reason it's popular is that a lot of adults don't know much about the sport and because of that, they don't get too involved as with little league and thus the kids actually get to have fun, without all the bullshit of parental egos and parental politics that scar the kids and take all the fun out of the game.  Although once adults start educating themselves about soccer, they'll strip all the fun out of that game for the kids and the kids'll find something else like LaCrosse or Jai Alai.  

I love yesterday's "Count Your Sheep" about the soccer/football thing.  http://www.countyoursheep.com/d/20060621.html

As for me, I find most any televised sport utterly boring.  I much prefer to go outside and play sports than watch them.  Even though I'm terrible at most sports, I just like to get out there, get sweaty, get the heart pumping, and have fun.  I don't really like being a spectator.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 02:44:32 PM »

Soccer is pretty popular here in the U.S., but like Neal said, it just isn't televised here because they can't run commercials. Otherwise I'm sure it would be a pretty big deal.

Also, soccer is VERY popular here with children under twelve in the U.S. When I was in elementary we either played soccer or dodge ball at recess everyday. Once we were twelve though, most of the boys made the jump to American football.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 03:02:35 PM »

I'll be honest, I don't care so much.  I watched a game or two here and there.  It's not soccer, I just don't watch sports all that much with the exception of some college basketball and pro football.

However soccer is one hell of a good time to play.  I also played it till I was about 11 or 12 (my mom was kind of a soccer mom too).  If I find a random game playing this day that needs more people, I definitely jump in.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 03:39:35 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
Also, how come you yanks hate the sport so much? I've heard people say that it's too slow or boring... but these same people have in the next senteance praised baseball, NASCAR and American Football. It doesn't make sense :P

If by "yanks" you mean northeastern Americans, it's because generations grew up on baseball and basketball.  The sports were created here, so it was also a form of national unity.

NASCAR, let's be clear, is big in the Confederate states and just about nowhere else.  The northerners like their Indy cars, but not as much as baseball.

Soccer isn't as hated here as you might think.  It's huge in a number of the western states.  Everyone was a soccer nut in Colorado, where I spent some of my childhood.

And what's the big deal about football?  It's not like american football was born yesterday.  You Europeans and South Americans have your football, and we have ours, and there's nothing terribly confusing about calling them both the same name.  Do you really think I'm going to start going on about Daunte Culpepper's passing yardage when you mention the World Cup?  :P

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 04:57:06 PM »

I'm very surprised that the US Team is 8th favourite. No offence to anyone, but the American team has never really been that good. Good goalkeeper though, despite his age.

And dammit, Cauton, our teams always damn draw against each other!

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 05:08:55 PM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
I'm very surprised that the US Team is 8th favourite. No offence to anyone, but the American team has never really been that good. Good goalkeeper though, despite his age.

And dammit, Cauton, our teams always damn draw against each other!

Much to my delight, I might add! What is it now - 40 years without ever beating Sweden? And the only reason you didn't lose is because your head coach is a Swede ;P

Quote from: "Angelo"
If by "yanks" you mean northeastern Americans, it's because generations grew up on baseball and basketball. The sports were created here, so it was also a form of national unity.

By yanks I mean all Americans. I've been using that term for ages, hoping to get a reaction (as I understand "yank" is seen as a degratory term by many). And it finally succeeded, yay!

Anyhow, surprised to hear that so many of you are favorable to soccer. There is a bit of a prejudice here in Europe that North Americans look down on soccer with the claim that "real men play american football". That's also the reason that many Europeans dislike the term soccer. It's pretty much only used by Americans, and is seen as condescending.
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 05:46:54 PM »

In Canada the World cup is actually very, very popular, despite the Canadian team not competing--just as well, they're garbage. You can't walk down the street without seeing flags hanging from car windows and store fronts. The little pub near my school plays the games on a big projection screen and everyone piles in to watch them during lunch--the place has been packed solid since the Cup started. There are parties nearly every night, and everywhere you go people are talking about it.

It's absolutely amazing how much support there is for the game. We have uninterrupted televised games on almost all the time, and certain Digital Cable providers allow you to watch the games whenever you want, start to finish.

When I was younger, I played football all the time--and I've adopted using football instead of soccer--for almost eight years. I stopped playing two years ago, and I missed the sign-ups this year, but I plan on going back next year. Amazingly fun game, though slower matches can draw on for a ridiculously long time.

Uhh... yeah. Well, I went off on a bit of a tangent there, but you get the idea, I'm sure....
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 05:57:53 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"

By yanks I mean all Americans. I've been using that term for ages, hoping to get a reaction (as I understand "yank" is seen as a degratory term by many). And it finally succeeded, yay!

I'd say I responded, which is short of reacting.  But whatever.  :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee

Probably the only people you're gonna offend by calling them a "yank" are southern conservatives, since the northeast is liberal country.  :P

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 06:07:24 PM »

I haven't actually been all that into the world cup this year. I'm so fucking sick of seeing the England flag everywhere.

If England progress to the quarter finals (which they should, despite how they're playing at the moment), I'll probably care a bit more.

Also, Cauton. Good luck with Germany ;)

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 06:07:57 PM »

If you call Bostonites yanks they get very offended :D
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 06:54:21 PM »

Call me a Yankee and you'll get banned...but only after I use your IP address to find you, burn down your house, and rape your pets.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 06:58:01 PM »

I like playing soccer, but watching it is about as exciting to me as watching golf (which is to say it isn't).

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: