Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 02:31:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318999 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The World Cup - do the Americans care?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: The World Cup - do the Americans care?  (Read 17454 times)
GhaleonOne

GhaleonOne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2006, 02:05:45 PM »

Aww c'mon, Gast, you cant really believe that that kind of trash talk like this is an isolated incident. No matter what was said, Zidane had no fucking right to do anything like that.

I disagree. While I'm sure it happens more often than it should, if they can find confirmation of Materazzi's comments being racially motivated, there damn well better be some kind of punishment for him. With all the anti-racism talk that FIFA has done in recent years, it would be a shame if something isn't done about it, assuming they can come up with some kind of evidence. I highly doubt Zidane lost his cool in arguably the biggest game of his life over a minor insult, and looking at Materazzi's past, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he did say those things. Look at his stint at Everton. 3 red cards in something like 20 games. But, unfortunately, considering this incident was completely off the ball, and only the fourth official caught it, I highly doubt any real evidence, other than what Zidane or Materazzi might say will be revealed.

However, I agree that Zidane should never have lost his cool. Wait until after the game to sort it out if you're really that pissed, but don't let your team down. Still, I hope he's not remembered for this, because one momentary loss of anger shouldn't define someone of his standards.

-G1
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2006, 03:38:13 PM »

It's not as if a headbutt to the chest is terribly damaging anyway, it spreads out the impact over a pretty well-protected area.  It obviously had to be something pretty heinous for Zidane to flip out, and if Zidane had wanted to do real damage he had multiple better options for it.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2006, 04:54:29 PM »

That's true. In particular, because even if he had gone with a more damaging attack, FIFA would have had no way to effectively punish him for the offense, since he retired from the game after this match anyways. And for somebody who has probably earned a good deal of money at Real, a fine of several thousand Swiss franc probably wouldn't have been a big deal either.
GhaleonOne

GhaleonOne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2006, 02:36:18 PM »

In case anyone's interested in Zidane's comments on the headbutt matter:

http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/article.aspx?hlid=402672&CPID=4&clid=368&lid=2&title=LEGEND+ZIZOU+BREAKS+HIS+SILENCE

-G1
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2006, 06:06:46 AM »

Yeah, I think not terribly damaging is voided when you have a monster class athlete flipping people onto their backs from the sheer force of it. That said Zidane is my second favourite footballer next to SUPER PETER CROUCH.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: