Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 05:04:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328024 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The World Cup - do the Americans care?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: The World Cup - do the Americans care?  (Read 17833 times)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2006, 05:45:04 PM »

The headline in a paper today on Mister Beckham stepping down as Captain to England:

GOODBYE TOSSER.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2006, 07:19:06 PM »

The Germany/Italy game was an awesome way to spend 4th of July.  What an exciting game.  So much inspired football, some amazing plays, some exciting saves... but Buffon and Italy's defense proved superior.  Those last couple of minutes in the 2nd overtime and during stoppage were unbelievable.  What was also impressive was that it was a very clean game.  No excessive fouling or carding.  

The better team prevailed.  It's so going to be Italy/France in the final and I do think Italy will take it.  The French team has been playing amazingly (Zidane and Henry are on point) but Italy's offense is fierce and their defense is impenetrable.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
GhaleonOne

GhaleonOne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2006, 08:48:26 PM »

I dunno. I thought Germany pressed harder. They just threw away their chances. I'm not all that impressed with Italy's team. They dive so much it isn't funny. I remember seeing one of them holding his face like he was hurt when he didn't even come close to getting touched. That seems to be what the Italian league has though. I can't stand watching it compared to the English and Spanish leagues. I'm all for the French now. If Portugal wins, it's going to be a crappy final for me.

-G1
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2006, 01:55:54 PM »

I'm rooting for France to win it all too.  The French team thoroughly impressed me, especially during that Brazil game.  They were a pleasure to watch.  Henry and Zidane absolutely slay.  Now, as long as Barthez doesn't have an off night, that will be key because when he's hot he's hot, but when he's off, he's awful.  

But for the Italy/Germany match, I thought Italy was generally pushing harder.  I mean, they did have posession more than the German team and took more shots overall.  Still, the game came down to who would make the first mistake and it happened to be Germany.  

As for the falling, that's football for you.  Drama-queen style falls and arm-raising are par for the course.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2006, 05:02:41 PM »

France/Portugal was an OK game, nothing explosive. Entertaining watching Portugal dive all over the place :P Glad France went through.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2006, 05:15:41 PM »

France was tight the first half, but were floundering some on the 2nd half.  

Portugal sucks.

GhaleonOne

GhaleonOne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2006, 05:27:55 PM »

Did Henry dive BTW? I'm at work, and only was able to see text-based play by play through Yahoo's MatchCast. All the chatroom folk were saying he dived, but until I see it I'll hold judgement. Henry isn't known as a diver, so it would be surprising. And really, even if he did, it serves Portugal right to loose on a PK after all the crap they've pulled throughout the tourney. Italy vs. France could be a good final matchup. The Euro 2000 encounter between the two was a close one.

-G1
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2006, 05:39:12 PM »

I didn't think Henry took a dive.  The fall was legitimate.  Carvalho fouled Henry pretty hard.  Henry is not a diver, as you said.  

Saha did get another yellow card (which I call bullshit on) and will be out of the next game.  I believe one of the Portugal players also got an additional yellow card and will be out of the next game.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2006, 05:56:02 PM »

It wasn't a dive, he was fouled, unintentionally by the looks of things.

Portugal were fighting pretty hard toward the end, but whenever they got near the box they just plain sucked :P

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2006, 09:04:34 PM »

My dream match comes true. This match is going to be a clash of epic proportions, to put it extravagantly. My dad wants me to tape this match very much so.

Any takers?

I say France will pull through, however, I haven't seen Italy play yet. I'm going to watch the Germany-Italy match soon, as my dad was telling me it was an incredibly-played match.
GhaleonOne

GhaleonOne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2006, 09:30:42 PM »

Finally saw the highlights of the France/Portugal game. Yeah, that was not even close to a dive. Henry got tripped up. It didn't look malicious, but it was definately no dive. Although the Portugese dove consistently. I missed the incident, but supposedly one of their players threw a waterbottle on the field? I'm all for France to win it. Viva la France!

-G1
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2006, 12:18:56 AM »

Yeah, a Portugal player threw a water bottle onto the field because the whole team and the coach(es) were livid that a ref didn't make a particular call.  At that point the US commentators said that Portugal needs to stop complaining about every call and just play some soccer.  

Bullshit team.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2006, 01:01:55 AM »

And that, folks, is why I can't stand Portugal and didn't want to see them playing in the Final. (Well, that and they took out Holland.)

Germany/Italy was a better game by far. Even if the crowd around the TVs in the mall practically gave me a heart attack when Italy scored the first time. They were THAT loud.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2006, 02:49:35 PM »

So what do you think about tonight's game? Germany vs Portugal for the bronze medal.

Me, I'm thinking Germany will win. Unlike Portugal, the germans seem happy to play in this game, and I think they're really eager to give the home crowd a good show.

I'm hoping it'll be an exciting game. Because this Championship has been lacking in that regard - too many defensive tactics, and too many early goals which have resulted in one team just staying home and defending for ~70 minutes.
GhaleonOne

GhaleonOne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2006, 03:04:57 PM »

I actually see this game probably being more entertaining than the final. Both Italy and France have been renowned for their defense this tournament, whereas this Germany is different from past teams defensive style. They play more attacking, and I think Portugal can play that way too. However, Germany is missing Ballack, and I believe a few younger players will also be playing. Both have strong attackers though. Should be a good game. Germany's already coming out looking strong in the first 4 minutes with a near goal if it wasn't for a deflection. I'm all for Germany giving the home fans something to be proud of.

-G1
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: