Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 04:15:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319192 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Tell me about buying a pet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Tell me about buying a pet  (Read 11374 times)
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »

By the way, any hints with cat smells? I keep her litter box clean and she's got the scoopable litter (I clean it every day) but she still is a BIG SMELLY BABY. Any hints?

Does your cat smell or do you just get weird cat scents around the house? Cats don't normally stink because they're big on self-grooming. She might have a bad breath problem but if you take her (or have taken her) to a vet, then it should work out alright.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2010, 11:15:03 AM »

By the way, any hints with cat smells? I keep her litter box clean and she's got the scoopable litter (I clean it every day) but she still is a BIG SMELLY BABY. Any hints?

Does your cat smell or do you just get weird cat scents around the house? Cats don't normally stink because they're big on self-grooming. She might have a bad breath problem but if you take her (or have taken her) to a vet, then it should work out alright.

I actually think it's her litter. It's scoopable, but not great at masking odor. When she pees, it STINKS. I've heard some cats don't like the scented litter though, so I may just have to live with it. I clean the box every day and smell does improve when I do that. :)

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2010, 11:48:29 AM »

I would talk to your vet about her food. A lot of off the shelf brands can be unhealthy for certain cats and cause really bad odours in their litter. The vet may be able to suggest a particular brand or prescribe a specialty food.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2010, 12:36:51 PM »

Yeah, if it's a litterbox problem then I agree with Mark. Might be her diet or food brand. Wouldn't know much about it though 'cause my cats used to have an outdoor litterbox that I wasn't in charge of cleaning.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »

I would talk to your vet about her food. A lot of off the shelf brands can be unhealthy for certain cats and cause really bad odours in their litter. The vet may be able to suggest a particular brand or prescribe a specialty food.

I'll +1 this.  My ol' doberman initially had some tummy problems and once our vet recommended switching his food to one that was less rich, he was fine and healthy for the rest of his days with us.  The dog naturally had a very sensitive digestive system so we kept him strictly to his doggie diet; no table scraps or people food.  We were always adamant to guests about that.  

Just like some people have various food digesting issues that alter the smell and/or texture of urine and stool, it's the same for domestic animals.  Health experts say that healthy stool for humans should have a shape, a medium brown color, exit smoothly without excessive effort, and not stink to the high heavens.  I'm sure there's a similar litmus for animals as well.    

I've always seen recommendations that when purchasing food for a dog or cat, pay the extra money for one where meat is the first ingredient rather than grain.  After all, dogs and cats are carnivores and their digestive systems are designed to extract nutrients from meat.  
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:58:47 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, Science Diet is highly recommended.  It's one of the pricier brands to buy, but it's got all the right stuff.
Redeemed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2010, 04:40:59 PM »

healthy stool for humans should have a shape, a medium brown color, exit smoothly without excessive effort, and not stink to the high heavens.
Wow. You should make this your sig Dincrest.

Lucca: I'm not sure what kind of kitty litter you use, but we used to have the same problem until my mother-in-law suggested Fresh Step. It seems to work much better than the other kinds that we've tried.

As for the debate about de-clawing--I think if it's a deal-breaker for someone, then it's much better for them to adopt a cat and have it done than for them not to adopt one and have one more cat euthanized. My cats are not de-clawed, and honestly I wouldn't ever get a cat again unless it was de-clawed.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2010, 08:40:12 PM »

I actually think it's her litter. It's scoopable, but not great at masking odor. When she pees, it STINKS. I've heard some cats don't like the scented litter though, so I may just have to live with it. I clean the box every day and smell does improve when I do that. :)

I recommend a corn based litter if you can find it. Not only does it hide the scent really well, but it is flushable. It also doesn't have a perfumey scent, which is awesome if you are like me and have horrible allergies.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »

I recommend a corn based litter if you can find it. Not only does it hide the scent really well, but it is flushable. It also doesn't have a perfumey scent, which is awesome if you are like me and have horrible allergies.

I've actually been using a corn based litter now mixed with the old stuff so I can use it up. The smell has gone down considerably. Also digging out my dustbuster from storage to clean up the stray litter bits helped too ;)

In terms of diets, I feed her Purina One as it was what she ate in the shelter. It seems to have chicken as a first ingredient and she wolfs it down. Is that considered a good brand? I already changed her litter and she got used to that, so I don't want to make TOO many changes.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2010, 09:28:55 AM »

I like science diet or wellness for pet food.

Just had to give my shelter pup back up for adoption, what a shitty experience.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: