Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 05:37:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338072 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Bioware founder says JRPGs "lack evolution"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Print
Author Topic: Bioware founder says JRPGs "lack evolution"  (Read 33167 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »

And if all WRPGs followed Bethesda's model, I wouldn't be playing them.

I find it somewhat curious that Mass Effect hadn't been mentioned, only Oblivion and Fallout 3. Then again maybe they're lumping that with FPSes.

Anyways, I think IGN's articles may've hit a nadir when they made one about 5 ways Final Fantasy is like Jersey Shore. Just... what?
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2010, 02:59:07 PM »

Western gamers see themselves as the protagonist. Think about the character creation feature of Fallout and the Elder Scrolls. You could spend hours just customizing the look of the character.

Japanese gamers prefer to play as another character. Character design becomes extremely important and artists like Toriyama and Amano become a key selling point.

This also explains why FPS games are not as popular in Japan. After all, you don't actually see the main character because western gamers like to think that THEY are the main character. I'm speculating that 3rd person shooters sell better in Japan.
this is my sentiment as well however i like to play wrpg's sometimes to because i get to play as a female protag of my making.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: January 18, 2010, 04:11:58 PM »

http://altjapan.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/01/jrpgs.html

"Do foreign companies even make RPGs anymore? The only games that come to mind are first-person shooter action games. If we followed this 'advice' to the letter they'd have us making Grand Theft Auto clones."

"Hey foreigners: we find your first-person shooters boring as shit. What do you say to that?"

That sums up quite well that this whole debate is just one big pissing contest, but given how much this subject has been talked about in various gaming communities of late, we seem to love us some good pissing contests.  Sure all pissing does is remove waste, but it feels quite good.  Ahhh, relief. 

Nice post avatar combo there.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: January 18, 2010, 04:53:41 PM »

And if all WRPGs followed Bethesda's model, I wouldn't be playing them.

"Hey guys I'm on this quest but I can't figure out how to continue any help?"

"Game's bugged and you can't finish it. Quest target never gets spawned."

Bethesda's got this Steve Jobs thing where they're good at convincing people that they know a lot more about what the right way of doing things is. As such they have a lot of gamers and industry peeps convinced that THEIR wave of doing things is somehow standard and optimal, when in fact it's pretty idiosyncratic to them (and when other companies do it, they generally do it better anyway. Gothic 1, for instance, had goddamn NPC schedules and actual conversation trees and generally more interactivity and detail than Morrowind did. Although if you go back to the Daggerfall era, nobody else was actually making anything similar because that would have been fucking stupid.)

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 18, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »

Bethesda's got this Steve Jobs thing where they're good at convincing people that they know a lot more about what the right way of doing things is.

I dunno, I get more of that vibe from Bioware than Bethesda. Then again somewhat similarly to Apple I think Bioware's really on to something, whereas Bethesda just somehow makes really enjoyable games in spite of being kind of broken.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: January 18, 2010, 06:45:12 PM »

Bioware games at least have quality in a workmanship-ish sense, so maybe that is more akin to Apple. Bethesda just doesn't ever seem to know what they're doing. I should probably delete Morrowind once and for all, honestly. I like it in some nominal sense but there's really nothing good about it.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 18, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »

When I saw how much others liked Morrowind, I tried SO HARD to like it, but never managed.  Played for hours and never got into it.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: January 18, 2010, 10:22:36 PM »

The Teleport Ring mod makes Morrowind a gazillion times more playable.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: January 18, 2010, 10:44:43 PM »

Morrowind's issues are more bad combat and bad interior location design, and a general, pervasive lack of dynamicness. I'm not sure how a teleport ring would fix that.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: January 18, 2010, 10:50:26 PM »

The soundtrack looks to outdo the first game's.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, and each to his own, but I found the ME soundtrack to be pretty sub-par. Most of it consisted of boring electro-symphonic rhythm loops, that never built or went anywhere. I just find it incredibly annoying when epic games go out of their way to not have epic sounding music. It's like they're purposefully holding back and forgoing melody driven material. Somewhere, there's a conscious reason for it, but I have to disagree. It wasn't terrible, but I found it pretty disappointing for a game of that magnitude.

I just realized in light of your commentary, the best track in the game.  Open it in a separate tab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Bjr9e-G8E

Watch me dance with the music in the background.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 19, 2010, 01:32:54 AM »

I forgot to replay to that. One of the key points to a good soundtrack is how well is compliments the game, and Mass Effect's seals that 70s/80s sci-fi movie feel they were aiming for. I wouldn't want anything else, even if the only song I cared to buy was the ending vocal.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: January 19, 2010, 01:54:11 AM »

Prime Mover liked the Blue Dragon boss music. Just some context there.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: January 19, 2010, 03:31:34 AM »

Prime Mover liked the Blue Dragon boss music. Just some context there.
Hahahahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2010, 04:44:33 AM »

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »

The soundtrack looks to outdo the first game's.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, and each to his own, but I found the ME soundtrack to be pretty sub-par. Most of it consisted of boring electro-symphonic rhythm loops, that never built or went anywhere. I just find it incredibly annoying when epic games go out of their way to not have epic sounding music. It's like they're purposefully holding back and forgoing melody driven material. Somewhere, there's a conscious reason for it, but I have to disagree. It wasn't terrible, but I found it pretty disappointing for a game of that magnitude.

I just realized in light of your commentary, the best track in the game.  Open it in a separate tab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Bjr9e-G8E

Watch me dance with the music in the background.

I'll assume your joking about it being the best track in the game, but this did put a smile on my face this morning. Thanks!
Funny thing about the ME ST is that I didn't really take much notice of it(minus a few tracks like the galaxy map) until listening to it after playing the game. It fits the feel of the game so perfectly. It does actually have a few "epic" tracks as well, that sound very MGSish. Good stuff all around.
Plus, I love the ending track.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: