Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 04:36:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335244 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Site Related & More
| |-+  RPGFan: The Site
| | |-+  When Will Megaten: Strange Journey's Review Be Up ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: When Will Megaten: Strange Journey's Review Be Up ?  (Read 12747 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 06:45:17 PM »

What bothers me is why you chose to review Dragon Quest IX in your 'spare time' rather than the-more-relevant-title Strange Journey or even Devil Survivor, games that push the genre forward and not sitting-ducks , unevolving , rigid title like DQ franchise.

What are you talking about?
Mike
Administrator

SHOVEL JUSTICE!

MoonFlareDesign
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 06:45:49 PM »

I think "more relevant" is a term you're just throwing around for fun, because whether you like it or not, DQ is a bigger deal. DQ release day is practically a holiday in Japan.

Clearly, the discussion isn't what's more relevant overall, it's about what is more *interesting* to you, which is quite different. Honestly, I'm with you in not being a big DQ fan. They stick with certain RPG traditions set in place back in the 80s and for the most part, the series doesn't evolve or try anything new. But again, that's a taste thing. I'm not a fan, but sales figures speak for themselves in this case.

As for a review, it's a question better asked of one of our import reviewers, who, again, do buy these games for themselves, so they're not going to go spend money and time on Game X if they'd rather play Game Y.

Edit: Also, the Bayonetta thing is a horrid comparison. Besides the fact I believe the Japanese version is already in English, you barely need an understanding of the language to play a Devil May Cry-style action game. An RPG is completely different - you can't always just feel your way through it if you don't know the language.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 06:53:16 PM by Mike » Logged

"Your sins lay heavy upon you, defiler of souls."
Mike
Administrator

SHOVEL JUSTICE!

MoonFlareDesign
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 06:48:10 PM »

What bothers me is why you chose to review Dragon Quest IX in your 'spare time' rather than the-more-relevant-title Strange Journey or even Devil Survivor, games that push the genre forward and not sitting-ducks , unevolving , rigid title like DQ franchise.
What are you talking about?
To be fair, we didn't review the Japanese version of Devil Survivor, which of course is the only "true" version. Let's all go bitch at Sam for only playing the game in English.

ScratchingButthole
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »

I meant the Japanese version.

Japanese RPGs are dying. And the only franchise that upholds it is Shin Megami Tensei. Persona 4 was the one of the highest RPGs reviewed on Electronic Gaming Monthly (it got A+ / A / A) , second only to Chrono Cross  . Do you think DQ or even FF franchise can compete against the likes of Mass Effect or Elder's Scrolls or Fallout in Western ? NO. I would even go further and saying Persona 4 shouldn't shudder against the likes of GTA and Half-Life 2, because because it's that good.

What we need is to unite and support this franchise , and neglect the other JRPGs frachise, because SMT is JRPG only hope.

Mike
Administrator

SHOVEL JUSTICE!

MoonFlareDesign
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »

Why would we need to post a review on the Japanese version now when we have one for the English version? Keep in mind our site is written in English, and caters to an English-speaking readership, which for the most part, would be playing their games in a language they actually can read.

ScratchingButthole
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 07:05:12 PM »

So you wrote DQ IX review for Japanese gamers that just found out that Famitsu isn't that credible ?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 07:05:12 PM »

Man, if quality was the sole factor for sales we'd be seeing games like Deus Ex reign in as the supreme FPSes and MW2 selling notably less than MW1. Whether or not those games are better they don't hit the same wide demographic something like modern warfare does.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 07:07:08 PM »

So you wrote DQ IX review for Japanese gamers that just found out that Famitsu isn't that credible ?

Um... we wrote it for an English-speaking audience who wondered how the game is, since they can't read Famitsu.

You also have yet to reply to any single critique or complaint about your attitude thus far. Please keep this up and see what happens.

ScratchingButthole
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 07:07:19 PM »

If you're an idiot, yes. Medal Of Honor Allied Assault ,even F.E.A.R. was a better shooter than Deus Ex. Deus eX combat is garbage.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 07:09:11 PM »

I think Japan should help Europe's foreign film expansť due to the difficulties of artistic expression in America for hampering down their culture.

Also I think you should take your mom's penis out of your mouth.

I agree btw, Dues ex is a terrible shooter. I also think that Devil Survivor was a shitty racing game. There wasn't even a NOS button. Don't they know the bay area loves they some NOS action.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 07:12:49 PM »

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 07:13:10 PM »

If you're an idiot, yes. Medal Of Honor Allied Assault ,even F.E.A.R. was a better shooter than Deus Ex. Deus eX combat is garbage.

At least your incapability to grasp different tastes extends beyond the niche.
ScratchingButthole
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 07:19:26 PM »

I think Japan should help Europe's foreign film expansť due to the difficulties of artistic expression in America for hampering down their culture.

Also I think you should take your mom's penis out of your mouth.

I agree btw, Dues ex is a terrible shooter. I also think that Devil Survivor was a shitty racing game. There wasn't even a NOS button. Don't they know the bay area loves they some NOS action.

Is this you ?

http://www.facebook.com/people/Tony-Ark/607294499

Filthy gook.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 07:23:23 PM »

You're really no good at this.
ScratchingButthole
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 07:24:21 PM »

Nah , i just found out his real name is Tony Salbato. Sorry , not gook.

A filthy spic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: