Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 10:01:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331778 Posts in 13583 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  5 Favorite JRPGs of 2009
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: 5 Favorite JRPGs of 2009  (Read 8676 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »

Half Minute Hero is awesome, but is that even really an RPG?  More like a parody of RPGs...

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 10:52:43 AM »

Sure, I don't see why not.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 11:05:11 AM »

Half Minute Hero is awesome, but is that even really an RPG?  More like a parody of RPGs...
When you're desperate enough to list ones you liked...

That's the other reason really, even in the best of years I'm not sure I'd easily pull up 5 JRPGs I liked, if nothing else than due to the time it takes to get through them.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 11:46:24 AM »

If we're just talking RPGs in general, then it'd be relatively easy. Half-Minute Hero, Torchlight, Dragon Age: Origins, Demon's Souls, and Devil Survivor. As far as typical turn-based JRPGs, I have no clue what I'd put up. The only new traditional JRPG I've played this year was Crimson Gem Saga, which was a lot of fun at first but fell apart towards the end.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:48:17 AM by Robert Boyd » Logged

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 11:58:14 AM »

When a top 5 list of JRPGs includes fucking PHANTASY STAR 0, then you know the JRPG genre is in the shitter.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 12:30:30 PM »

Or it's indicative of how few games were played this year.  There were plenty of amazing JRPG's released this year, it's just that everybody seems to have selective memory prior to the last few months.  This happens everywhere, though, and it's why you often see games that were released towards the end of the year at the top of "Top X games" lists even if they were clearly inferior to games released earlier in the year.

Anyway, mine, in no particular order, is:

-Magna Carta 2
-Knights in the Nightmare
-Devil Survivor
-Half-Minute Hero
-Mario & Luigi 3

I would put Demon's Souls but I consider that Survival/Horror, not an RPG.

And some more 2009 RPG's that nobody mentioned:

-Hero's Saga: Laevetinn Tactics
-Persona PSP
-Class of Heroes
-SMT: Devil Summoner 2
-Little King's Story (Kinda)
-The Dark Spire
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 12:39:42 PM »

Part of the rationale for my statement too is that... well, it could be awhile before some of us get to playing some of the best games this year. I took awhile to get through Nocturne, and if you asked me at the end of 2004 what my favorite JRPG of the year was I'd probably say SO3 simply because I had fun with it and couldn't think of better. A year later I definitely would have said Nocturne however.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 12:48:50 PM »

Yeah, there's a few that came out this year that I haven't bought or played yet but want to. Like Devil Summoner 2 and Persona PSP. Of what came out this year, all I've played is Devil Survivor, but Persona 4 came out really late last year so I kind of count it. (PLus I didn't actually get it til Christmas.)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 01:03:43 PM »

I think it's interesting to note that a good portion of the 2009 JRPGs in the list (and some that I really liked this year) did not come from Japanese developers.  There was a time when non-J JRPGs were deemed crap (i.e. Shadow Madness), but it's cool seeing that some solid J-style role playing can come from non-J devs.  Even with Japanese style visual novels, the Canada-developed Fading Hearts was rather good.  

As for my own top 5 and reasoning behind them, you'll just have to wait for RPGFan's Game of the Year feature for that.  Because if any readers are anything like me, I find the individual editors' top 5 lists far more interesting to read than the sitewide awards.  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 01:10:20 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 01:20:12 PM »

I don't think any J-rpgs appealed to me at all this year. Tierkreis was closest, but really not that wonderful. I did thankfully get into Dragon Age and Fallout 3 this year, which is surprising because I'm usually not that into western RPGs.

Can't wait for 2010!

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 01:33:40 PM »

I only played one JRPG that came out this year and that is Bowser's Inside Story. Which by the way was glorious. Other RPGs I completed like Blue Dragon, Dragon Quest IV, TWEWY, Chrono Trigger DS, etc. all came out prior to this year so ohwellz.

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 01:59:05 PM »

Like Eusis was talking about, I did not get around to playing some of the JRPGs I got. Anyway, in no particular order:

SMT Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner 2, Persona
Suikoden Tierkreis

I did play Magna Carta 2 but I wouldn't really put it as a favorite regardless of how much fun I did have with its battle system. I still have yet to play Knights in the Nightmare, Half-Minute Hero, Black Sigil, Nostalgia and any others I couldn't get to in this year. I still don't think I could finish a top 5 even if we included WRPGs. I like DA, but I wouldn't call it a favorite.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 03:16:10 PM »

Wasn't Fallout 3 last year?

I hate to put Dragon Age: Origins on any list. I'm still playing it, but only because my girlfriend (and myself) wants me to finish any game before I go on to playing Assassins Creed II... which is just KILLING ME! I'm not having any fun with DA:O. Great concept (or is it?) but I'm just bored to tears. The only good part about it is it makes practice my bass more than ever, because I don't want to play games any more. It feels more like work than play. Man... and after MA and Fallout 3, I was starting to like wRPGs. Never Mind.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 03:16:44 PM »

On second thought, I enjoyed Suikoden Tierkreis a lot more then I did Knights in the Nightmare, it's just that KiTN was so different and original that I guess I fell for the very trap I pointed out in my previous post.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 04:41:34 PM »

Hmm

Devil Summoner 2, Devil Survivor, Fallout 3 (so far) is all I've got.

I haven't gotten around to Nostalgia or Wizard of Oz yet.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: