Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 05:44:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331456 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  5 Favorite JRPGs of 2009
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: 5 Favorite JRPGs of 2009  (Read 8660 times)
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2009, 03:19:44 PM »

That game came out in 07.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2009, 03:43:58 PM »

The last thing this world needs is more people adopting the subgenre insanity that metalheads are so proud of...it's at the point where practically every band gets its own 'subgenre'.  Then metalheads will vigorously defend  their obtuse and absurdly complex system with the excuse that they 'sound different'.  Of course they sound different, they're different bands.  That doesn't make a bloody genre.

Metal is a HUGE umbrella though, with many different almost opposing musical and social philosophies. Metal was unfortunately lumped together by outsiders because they just thought all of it was loud. But really, you have a bunch of different unrelated genres that go forcefully put into the same pile. Dincrest mentioned Pantera and Fates Warning. Pantera is a bunch of rednecks whose sole ambition is to be as loud and aggressive as possible (not a putdown, sometimes that stuff is fun). Fates Warning is a highly classically oriented group who weave 20 minute or hour long compositions with minute subtlety. Trying to compare these bands is about as effective as comparing Bob Dylan to Miles Davis... hence the need to put them in different genres.

Problem is, a lot of sections of the metal genre are defined by encouraging large amounts of experimentation and variation. So you have a wide array of different sounding music that's hard to pinpoint. American folk music is fairly succinct because it fairly static set of musical philosophies. Also being a traditionalist genre, part of it's aim is to try and sound at least relatively similar to it's musical roots. Punk, being a movement, also has a lot of succinct elements, trying to bring people together under one banner... more variation than folk music, but less so than metal. Metal isn't a movement, it doesn't have an overarching philosophy or musical language. It has a few common technical practices, a few flagship bands which vary greatly, and almost 40 years of historic mess of influences and sounds that more often than not, have nothing to do with each other.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »

That game came out in 07.

Man, not even the PSN version came out in '09.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2009, 05:50:48 PM »

Here's my list of top 5 JRPGs  because I love lists

1. Baten Kaitos 2 - This game is goddamn amazing, I don't care what year it is
2. Final Fantasy XIII - Havent played it but I know Square-Enix made another masterpiece
3. Dragon Age Origins - JRPG or not? Of course! This is basically the sequel to FFXII we've been waiting for
4. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - Another hit edition of this classic RPG series
5. &LOVE(アンドラブ) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMaur6pTso4 Nuff said.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2009, 02:26:17 AM »

DQV
M&L3
LoZ:ST
FE:SD
DQV

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2009, 10:48:37 AM »

I've been playing older releases like Disgaea lately, so I'm a bit behind on 2009 releases.  My list is more about 2009 releases that I'm looking forward to.  I've focused entirely on handheld releases because that's mainly what I play these days.

REALLY LOVED:
Fire Emblem SD
Phantasy Star Portable

LOVED/LIKED SO FAR (not done playing):
Phantasy Star Zero
Crimson Gem Saga
Laevatein Tactics
Suikoden Tierkreis
Tactics Layer (not localized, so a bit hard to make full sense of)

SUPER PSYCHED:
SMT: Devil Survivor
Mario & Luigi: Inside Story
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Knights in the Nightmare
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga
Shining Force Feather
Atelier Annie

PRETTY PSYCHED:
Bleach: The 3rd Phantom
Persona
Dissidia
Star Ocean 2
Half-Minute Hero

NOT ENTIRELY SURE, BUT AM THINKING ABOUT IT:
Pokemon Platinum
DQ 5
Nostalgia
Black Sigil

Alfa System Forever
xellos2099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2009, 01:43:16 PM »

Well, Star Ocean 4's story become stupid and pointless after the story in So3 but you got to give credit to it for having one of the best battle system in rpg. 
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2009, 03:56:59 PM »

Well, Star Ocean 4's story become stupid and pointless after the story in So3 but you got to give credit to it for having one of the best battle system in rpg. 

um... isn't SO4 a prequel?

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2009, 04:17:30 PM »

Yes, but the story in SO3 effectively "invalidates" all the stories set in the game's universe.  SO4 coming before it timeline-wise doesn't nullify what was revealed about the universe in 3.

Personally, I think it's silly to think that that single bit of information invalidates everything EVER simply because it was a silly revelation, but that's fandom for you.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2009, 04:26:29 PM »

I prefer to criticize Star Ocean 4 over the fact that it sucks, revelations in Star Ocean 3 be damned.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2009, 04:33:15 PM »

I prefer to criticize Star Ocean 4 over the fact that it sucks, revelations in Star Ocean 3 be damned.

Yeah, frankly SO3's dumb twists were better than the bullshit writing and humor SO4 has.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2009, 04:41:17 PM »

Yeah, frankly SO3's dumb twists were better than the bullshit writing and humor SO4 has.

And inferior combat, mundane music even by Sakuraba standards, creepy graphics with characters that suffer from Parkinson's, and voice overs on par with, or more annoying than Farleen.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2009, 05:49:44 PM »

I guess I was lucky that I only played 6 hours. But damn, $10/hour for a shitty game does sting though.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »

Special mention should be made for the lamest final boss in JRPG history.

Also: "DAMNIT! DAMNIT! DAMNIT!"

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2009, 08:50:31 AM »

I'm still buying this game and I'm still hyped for it (SO4). :(

Anyway, I didn't find the plot twist of SO3 that bad though, I still had fun with the game. I'm sort of playing it again recently (currently busy with SO2).

The main reason why I love the Star Ocean series are mainly the battle system, synthesis system, vast amount of items, Sakuraba's music, and the space theme (although not very evident, it still is there. That's why I sort of like Xenosaga despite Shion and Jr. being shitty).

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: