Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 08:35:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340864 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  WoW paid character transfer to cost $25 a pop
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: WoW paid character transfer to cost $25 a pop  (Read 4750 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2006, 02:09:03 AM »

More info here, and some additional details here.

$25? That's just insane. It's more than half the price of a new copy of the game. I guess Blizzard want to stop people from transferring around too much, but that's a bit excessive if you ask me.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 02:36:04 AM »

Well, you could compare it to EQ2, which is something like $75 for 3 characters and much higher for 5-8 characters, so it's relatively good. Still a ripoff though.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 04:21:57 AM »

It's honestly not that big of a price depending on just how much time you've invested into a character.  Though it's somewhat of a bum deal that you can only transfer one character every six months max (wtf?).  I do find it immensely amusing and quite satisfying that PVE characters can NOT go to PVP servers.  This is only proper, but a lot of people (not surprisingly bored PVEers) hoped that paid server transfers meant PVEers could go to a PVP server and basically skip the gankathon treadmill.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 04:31:19 AM »

With those limitations in mind, $25 seems like one helluva rip off. I guess it's only fair for PVP players... But if you're paying more than you would for some games younger than WoW, and can only do it once every 6 monthes, that seems like a giant ripoff. :P
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 08:34:26 AM »

They still haven't said whether that's per character, or whether you can do multiple characters from the same server to the same server with that. In a Blue response on WoW they made it seem like it was the latter. If so then I am happy.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 10:20:50 AM »

Quote from: "Ryos"
This is only proper, but a lot of people (not surprisingly bored PVEers) hoped that paid server transfers meant PVEers could go to a PVP server and basically skip the gankathon treadmill.

Of course.  If they could do this, this would lower the amount of 1-59 people on PvP servers immensely.  No one likes the "gankathon treadmill".  IIRC, when this game came out, a ton of people from this board bitched about being ganked too much, which led them to quit or switch to a PvE server.  I'll admit it was bad at times, espicially before the introduction of BG's.

Anyways, I'm glad they restricted it.  I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, and I leveled a horde to 60 (horde is more difficult on a pvp server since there are a lot more bored alliance than bored horde imo.  I've leveled a war to 55 on alliance, and I definitely got ganked a ton more on the horde side).  If I can do it, almost anyone can do it.

As for the cost, it's not too bad.  If you want to change servers, it's worth it.  I know when I leveled up my priest, I never even thought of the timezone consideration.  But when I hit 60, I realized the server was on the west coast and i am on the east coast.  It made raiding quite difficult and probably why I inevitably stopped playing.  Good for me though.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 12:29:22 PM »

I think the price is pretty reasonable.  It's not supposed to be a common service, and it's not just affecting the person transferring but the server they're transferring to.

I rolled on Dethecus just a little after release, and it was a pretty tight-knit PvP server.  Raids were slack and well behind a lot of other servers because we'd rather world PvP and talk trash about it to each other on IRC while we were doing it.  We did have guilds starting to work through BWL eventually, and about a week after the server-first Nefarian kill, Blizzard opened up Archimonde transfers.

It had a huge impact on the server.  Really, we just had four guilds and some trash transfer over, but those four guilds waltzed in pretty much full Tier 2 with Rank 13 and 14 PvP stuff on a server with different dynamics to its honor grind.  BG queue times became incredibly skewed faction-wise, and remain so months later.  People are being harassed into forming honor caps, and the gear imbalance is very noticable in preform v. preform PvP, though we've got some teams that can hold their own.  Some of the tradeskill markets are screwy, etc..
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 01:06:29 PM »

Am I the only one that thinks $25 isn't a bad deal?

I mean seriously, you guys who are up in arms about how that's too expensive....will you even take advantage of it? $25 to get my Warrior that I spent almost every day for two months on from the server it started on to the server I play on currently isn't a big deal to me.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 01:33:25 PM »

I dont think its a bad deal, if your not using it to transfer some low level you might not play ever again.  Ive read responses on a few sites, and most were inneligable l33t speak gibberish, or "BLIZZARD, A COMPANY THAT MAKES GAMES TO MAKE MONEY IS A BIG MONEY GRUBBING SELLOUT WHORE!"  Yeah, the sarcasm oozes from that statement, but it collectively reflects what I read...-_-

Anywho, I think that for a 50+ char, its an alright deal...$25 may be a wee much for the restrictions they have in place, but as it stands, its an optional feature, so really, its only used when most needed, or by idiots who waste money.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 02:50:35 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Am I the only one that thinks $25 isn't a bad deal?

I mean seriously, you guys who are up in arms about how that's too expensive....will you even take advantage of it?

I just think that $25 for each character is a bit steep. I can envision a scenario where I'll be wanting to transfer all of my characters from one server to another. If I'm going to have to pay $25 for each of them, it will add up to a pretty huge sum.

And I was thinking of taking advantage of it, by transfering one of my PVP chars to a RP server. So fed up with the PVP mindset. But if I'm going to have to pay $25 (or the equivalent in ), I'm not so sure if I'll be doing it.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 02:53:31 PM »

That's exactly what Blizzard (Not Vivendi) wants - they want to make sure that you know that your transfer has a possibility to change server dynamics and is an important in-game decision.

Vivendi just wants your cash.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 11:13:50 PM »

Update:

While the eligable server list is MINISCULE......Paid Transfers are now live.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: