Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 10:48:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Last rebellion officially announced
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Last rebellion officially announced  (Read 7075 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 01:25:49 PM »

How times have changed so quickly, huh?

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 01:57:48 PM »

2) From Software used to be the group I cited for making mediocre RPGs (see: King's Field, Evergrace, Eternal Ring). Yeah, well then they made DEMON'S SOULS (amazing), and word is that 3D Dot Game Heroes is pretty awesome too. Believing that a developer can *never* rise from the depths of mediocrity is folly.

You know, I've heard that Demon's Souls is basically King's Field in 3rd person.  I've also heard that FROM is much, much better at making action games then RPG's, and I can personally attest that Demon's Souls is much more Action game then it is RPG.

So basically, FROM didn't really "rise up" at all, it just focused on making a game it was already good at making.

Just wanted to respond like ... months later to defend myself.

They also made Enchanted Arms, which was a traditional turn-based RPG, and was infinitely better than Evergrace, which was an Action RPG.

They did rise up. Eat it.

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 02:23:50 PM »

ahh enchanted arms, even though is kinda traditional i did enjoy its changes, as well as the graphics,  o.o, the only thing i disliked is the main char's uniform... those shorts just make him look more stupid than he already is.
Also i just remembered eternal sonata... that game was pretty mysterious, but if it only had more scenes between characters or stuff like that, i ended the game with barely knowing my ppl.
I wouldnt mind at all another game oriented to classical music, i wish there was another game like this soon to be released.

Anyway i still have to see more of last rebellion before saying i hate it, i wont just say i wont buy it because other ppl said it sucks

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 01:50:48 AM »

Better to rent it first. I made the mistake of buying it. Thank Gerogo I fixed it fast.
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 01:16:15 PM »

the battle system looks kinda cool. My concirns stem from the lack of footage/screen caps of what the environments look like. What little I've seen looks kinda....flat. I was interested in this but It seems to be a foolish purchase sans some kind of community feedback/reviews etc...

--
Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything that happens will happen today
and nothing has changed, but nothing's the same
and every tomorrow could be yesterday
and everything that happens will happen today"

-David Byrne
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »

They also made Enchanted Arms, which was a traditional turn-based RPG, and was infinitely better than Evergrace, which was an Action RPG.

They did rise up. Eat it.

Agreed, I liked Enchanted Arms as well.

Believing that a developer can *never* rise from the depths of mediocrity is folly.

Does Atlus count? :P Persona 1 was average, it got better in Persona 2, Persona 3 was well received, and eventually Persona 4 was highly commended (and created a cult!)

And yet P4 is the worst of the bunch.

Drama!

Kill the heretic!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:16:44 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 07:48:21 PM »

Well, I've played Last Rebellion for about an hour now.  Yeah, I'm reviewing it for the site.  

My initial impressions:

Gameplay- if you thought Xenosaga II's break zone system for battles was strateg-i-licious and not needless padding to make battles long and drawn out, then you may have fun with it.  Okay, the battle system isn't bad and I like the idea of doing combo hits on multiple body parts but with only one protagonist able to fight at a time a' la Thousand Arms, it makes even normal battles take too long.  And don't let the marketing fool you.  This is a traditional turn-based RPG and NOT an action-RPG.    

Graphics- it looks like a Playstation 2 game.  Graphically, it's on par with something like Wild Arms 5.  It does get style points for the cutscene stills that look like pastel paintings.  

Sound- Cheesy voice acting that accompanies equally cheesy dialogue.  The title theme's kinda cool and the battle themes are innocuous enough, but there's not much else.  I'm asking "where's the beef?" regarding music.  

Story- The protagonists are not likeable.  One's a shallow wangst bucket and all I've seen of the other one is her exasperated side.  The story itself seems shallow and throws a whole bunch of cliches together willy nilly without any sort of coherence.  So far cutscenes have been long-winded, but lacked substance.  

Thus far, I don't think Last Rebellion is terrible, but like other HitMaker titles it is mediocre.  Very mediocre.  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:12:33 PM by Dincrest » Logged

jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »

I only came into this thread to say I can't believe how badly From Software was insulted in here being compared to Hit Maker. :(

From Software didn't make 3D Dot Game Heroes BTW, they also publish games in Japan don't forget. 3DDGH was made by a company new to game development called Silicon Studio who made that weird looking PSP game, Onore no Shinzuru Michi wo Yuke. Apparently they've been around for a while, but these are the first 2 games they've actually developed.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:20:24 PM by jj984jj » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »

After about 7 hours, the game's starting to grow on me.  It's an acquired taste for sure and I don't deny the complaints made by most reviews out there, but it's not complete garbage.  It's my favorite HitMaker game, though that's not exactly a difficult feat to manage.

citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 10:18:21 AM »

After about 7 hours, the game's starting to grow on me.  It's an acquired taste for sure and I don't deny the complaints made by most reviews out there, but it's not complete garbage.  It's my favorite HitMaker game, though that's not exactly a difficult feat to manage.

I'ts actually refreshing to hear comments on a game that seem to take into account actual components of gameplay and not just dismiss it outright due to sub-par visuals. If i can get my hands on a cheap copy I'm prolly going to pick this up now.

--
Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything that happens will happen today
and nothing has changed, but nothing's the same
and every tomorrow could be yesterday
and everything that happens will happen today"

-David Byrne
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2010, 07:09:15 AM »

I'd say rent it first.  The game is an acquired taste. 

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2010, 10:31:43 PM »

I almost bought it today - but decided on some Xbox games instead.

$20 instead of $50 is always preferable.

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2010, 11:59:51 PM »

Great line of reasoning

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2010, 12:07:32 AM »

Personally, although I do like Last Rebellion more so than other critics it seems, I don't think I'd pay full asking price.  For a lot of people, $20 for it might even be a stretch.  $10-$15 in the bargain bin, I think it's worth that.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2010, 11:07:10 AM »

Great line of reasoning

Thanks!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: