Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 04:25:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319825 Posts in 13050 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FFXIV Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54 Print
Author Topic: FFXIV Thread  (Read 105073 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2009, 12:39:42 PM »

Going to start posting all the updates I run across on this game in this thread.  Anyways, story stuff this time around.  Check out the link.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/12/23/ffxiv_story/
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »

Sweet, but I can't overlook:

YOUR 360. Holy hell. I'd do that if it wasn't still in warranty. Well, actually I don't have the upper strength to do so; I'll just toss it.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 10:53:10 PM »

There is a MASSIVE update on the official site.  Just a few screengrabs I did... there's a lot more stuff alongside new music.  You can definitely tell it's Uematsu.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 01:17:18 AM »

alongside new music.  You can definitely tell it's Uematsu.

Yes, yes you can. That can often be a bad thing, but so far I am pleasantly surprised. It's like the first time I heard pieces of music from FFIX. It felt so right.

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 06:14:00 AM »

Fuck me... more crabs. Learn something new SE... please.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 07:10:13 AM »

You gotta admit though, if they make crabs look that menacing, imagine what dragons will look like.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 10:26:52 AM »

Fuck me... more crabs. Learn something new SE... please.

Seriously? Most fantasy based MMOs have some sort of crab mob you can fight. Plus..those crabs look pretty bad ass.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 10:41:50 AM »

The crabs are all like >:( and I'm all like >;^(
ShiningHero

Lawlerabs

lightbreakerec@hotmail.com Blazeddc
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »

I'd mount that shit. :O Crab Mounts goooo. I can't believe how detailed the environment looks in this game.

Even the sky looks incredible...

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 01:06:12 PM by ShiningHero » Logged

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 03:38:46 PM »

I gotta say, that sky and the lighting... Wow, that's really impressive.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 05:17:33 PM »

It's coming along very nicely. I'd prefer to play it on PC, but I don't know if it can handle the specs. I suppose I could play the PS3 version.

Which version are you all going to play?
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 06:05:54 PM »

If I get my way, PC. MMORPGs are a joke on consoles.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 06:33:19 PM »

PS3 version.  FFXIV is another console MMORPG, much like FFXI before it.
Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 07:19:04 PM »

I'll be playing it on PC for sure. But like FFXI, I'm sure both version will share servers.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 05:25:13 AM »

Pretty graphics aside, if they pull the same blatant recycling of mobs they did in FFXI, then they truly have learned nothing. We can ohh and ahh over pics and some PR vids, but it's the hands on experience that is going to determine if the game is going to be any good. In the post WoW era, gamers are an even more fickle bunch, and the playing field has changed dramatically. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited over the game, and alot of it is from an old love of FFXI, but times have changed and from what SE has done with FFXI over the years doesn't bode well for FFXIV; unless they can truly shed the impression of a rehash and bring something truly unique to the table without bending to the influence of the market or adhering to the inflexibility they are renowned for. We are definately due for a truly innovative MMO experience and SE is definately qualified to do it, but will they have the balls to?

I want the game to succeed, but there are so many people who got burned on the time sink nature of FFXI that they hope the game fails so that SE drops the genre entirely. So I ask you guys, what changes would you like to see from FFXI and which things would you like to keep? It's obvious they're preserving FFXI in FFXIV to allow some continuity for the fans.

Also PC all the way for me. Playing an MMO without voicechat is limiting to me, and having an alt tab option helps if I'm in need of a wiki. I think the game will run great on the PS3, but if they optimize for DX11, it's going to be the best looking version of the bunch. There's alot of limiting factors with the PS3 in the graphics dept, and I'm betting you all those pretty pics are from the PC build, which is also the version they demoed at GamesCom. I totally disagree that this is a "console" MMO, especially since the PS3 supports a mouse and a keyboard, so the interface argument in moot, likewise any PC can use a game controller. The main factor is going to be if people have PCs who can run the game well, or folks with PS3's (which is the most economical).
Unlike FFXI the game isn't built for one architecture, so we should see robust versions tailored to the capacity of the platform.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 05:43:11 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: