Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 06:45:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332888 Posts in 13640 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FFXIV Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54 Print
Author Topic: FFXIV Thread  (Read 112543 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2010, 01:34:55 AM »

Yeah why the hell wouldnt you have full movement while melee fighting in a modern MMO. WoW players (Which are 95% of the MMO market) are going to feel like they're playing with their characters feet stuck in mud.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2010, 03:22:38 PM »

Here's a vid I put together of some combat from Aion - much faster and movement friendly imo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ7xIicSqLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FNWxu-v_j0

The vid is a little dark, the compression software I'm using seems to do that for most vids - but it should be easy to follow. I didn't get a chance to use all my moves as these were non-elites and they vaporized pretty quickly, but you should be able to get the point.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:51:37 PM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2010, 09:33:13 PM »

Did you piece the PC together Parn or did you buy the parts from them seperately and they slapped it together? Your machine is a beast, but the monitor...not so much.

The monitor is an IPS panel.  Most PC LCD monitors are TN panels, which are shit.  The viewing angles and color accuracy are total garbage on TN panels.  The only advantage they have is response times, which only matter if you play a lot of first person shooters.  For reference, here is the difference between a TN panel and an IPS panel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP7C00BIzH8

IPS panels are all about color accuracy.  That's why they're used for graphic design, movie production, medical use, and so forth.  They're expensive for good reason.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2010, 10:23:54 PM »

Did you piece the PC together Parn or did you buy the parts from them seperately and they slapped it together? Your machine is a beast, but the monitor...not so much.

The monitor is an IPS panel.  Most PC LCD monitors are TN panels, which are shit.  The viewing angles and color accuracy are total garbage on TN panels.  The only advantage they have is response times, which only matter if you play a lot of first person shooters.  For reference, here is the difference between a TN panel and an IPS panel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP7C00BIzH8

IPS panels are all about color accuracy.  That's why they're used for graphic design, movie production, medical use, and so forth.  They're expensive for good reason.

I'll take the response time. Gameplay > Graphics
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2010, 01:01:44 AM »

Jesus, thats quite a difference in viewing angles, I see what you mean. Everyone should own one of each, what a wonderful world that would be...
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2010, 08:32:26 AM »

nope
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2010, 05:15:58 PM »

nope

This.  I'll never buy another TN panel again.

Unless you have a small monitor.  I still play WoW on my iMac (for reference:  shitty panel).  At 20.1", I notice quite a bit of distortion if I'm looking straight into the screen.  All the abilities on the bottom of my screen are darker and I lose a lot of quality. 

For some games like TF2, I don't notice it though.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2010, 08:13:33 PM »

God you guys are nerds
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2010, 10:52:05 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-99sSSS3eP4 Can't wait.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2010, 05:03:10 PM »

So they sped up the battle system, eh?  I think I might be sold on this game now. :P

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2010, 08:38:39 PM »

So they sped up the battle system, eh?  I think I might be sold on this game now. :P

For a month.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2010, 12:49:13 AM »

Heh, well they did more than just speed up combat, they completely nixed the effect gauge and redid how stats allocate too. I love how much better the game looks with the new lighting. Seems they updated some textures too. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic because this is the first time SE has actually listened to player feedback and acted on it, instead of their legacy of silence and "deal with it" attitude.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2010, 08:32:58 AM »

Yeah, I wasn't as impressed with the visual aspects because I had a feeling they'd change over the course of development.  But when I saw that slow as molasses battle system, I couldn't shake the thought that that was that. :P

Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2010, 05:13:47 AM »

Onion Helm makes this a worthy purchase for the collector's edition.

I'm so getting it! woo early access...

If only a pre-order of the collector's edition gave you access to the closed beta ;_;
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2010, 05:30:40 AM »

I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to get into beta. The cap is being set at level 30, which is reachable within 3-4 days of playtime if they open the servers 24/7 like they plan to. Especially since were limited to the immediate areas around Limsa Lominsa, you will get bored well before retail. Right now current alpha testers are the only ones going into beta, but the plan was that once the new servers are stabilized with this population, more invites will be going out. Though at this time it is unlikely there will be an open beta, the vast majority of people who applied for beta should get invites eventually. Hell, alot of alpha testers who got invited were applicants for PS3 beta, and were told to participate in PC beta till then.

We had 10 servers open at the end of alpha with about 5k testers each, and they had indicated they wanted to expand it to 10k or more through the beta. Be patient and keep your eyes on your inbox, we just got notification that the beta client would be available soon, but no word yet on when we start. If they an get the client out this weekend, probably after the 4th.

Once we have permission from SE we will be having some content up on the site from the beta.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 08:43:23 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: