Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 03:24:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319720 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FFXIV Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 54 Print
Author Topic: FFXIV Thread  (Read 105026 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: August 27, 2010, 02:01:49 AM »

its funny because now everyone farms that mount

on the server I used to play on, one guy had the mount, as well as a second drop of it in his inventory just to troll people
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: August 27, 2010, 02:38:18 AM »

Well, for one they had more bots than players at one point. Literally it was impossible to finish quests because they kept killing all the mobs. There are vids still around of trains of bots farming areas or camping respawns. The main thing is that Aion has some pretty ugly cash sinks. Healing lost xp from death and crafting/enchanting required tons of materials and cost. Wings were expensive, transport was expensive - mobs rarely dropped money, they just randomly dropped uncommon quality items that vendored for decent sums of cash. The higher level you were, the more money they sold for but the less they dropped. ex. level 20 polearm would vendor for 8.5k, a level 50 polearm would vendor for 500k. RMT controlled the income (drops from mobs you'd sell) and they controlled the supply (crafting mats that were gathered) as well as the AH. The inflation got so bad that level 23-28 crit crafted gear was selling for millions of kinah because that was how crafters could break even because of how much supplies cost at the AH. They couldn't reasonably gather themselves because there were so many bots, plus bots using hacks making gathering almost impossible against them. The fact that it was impossible to accrue several million by the mid 20's, much less later in the game at 50 showed just how much they had a stranglehold on the economy. You could not effectively gear your character without buying from the AH, and the costs were directly influenced by RMT. The fact that there was so much kinah in circulation despite this was clear proof that alot of players were buying gold. By the time they effectively got down to banning and blocking RMT and bots, the damage was done. The economy had gotten so inflated already that sky high prices didn't drop much, and with the massive bleed off of players, there wasn't enough competition to drive prices down either. Then at endgame the best armor requires you to crit craft the Hot Heart of Magic which requires 100 of a specific item, and if you fail the crit, you have to gather them all over again. Mind you these components AH for 150-330k EACH. The ultimate RNG cash/time sink courtesy of Korean masochism.
Everything is a money sink in Aion. The economy  eventually recovered in aion. After last  November's massive genocidal ban wave. what hurt is Aion is the fact that Ncsoft banned EVERYONE  rmt bots, player bots  that had script based bot programs. a lot of people also got banned from ip waved proxiy bans. the problem was Ncsoft method of banning was so heavy handed it damn near killed alot of servers. whole top legions got banned during the wave. alot of innocent people also got caught in the crossfire. There  have hardly been any bots since the ban wave. the rmters make all their money by hacking accounts now. bots have  now started  to reappear a bit  in certain areas due to the new expansion that is coming out in two weeks.
edit: Actually the prices got worse after the ban wave for items like fluxes and other gathered  materials because  the drop rates were so atrocious. if you kill 500 mobs you would be lucky if you got a green premium weapon or armor flux. You need  6 of those  and a bunch of other mats to make an attempt at being an expert craftsman.You have a high chance of failing this test due to rng. Everyone was trying to do this test for their profession because after you pass it you could make some sick golds and make major bank. After the ban wave prices went from 300k per flux to 750k due to the fact that there were not many people able to farm them and the low drop rate.  Most people at the time were in the late 30s early 40s and very few were 45+ needed to farm the mobs that dropped the fluxes.  As what remained of the population leveled up the economy eventually recovered.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:08:42 AM by Chronix112 » Logged
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 27, 2010, 03:56:30 AM »

I think what really sent fluxes sky high was when they added vendors that sold them... for insane prices. So people just undercut the vendors a tad and thought they were giving people a bargain. I would try Balaurea but pvp is so broken right now on my server I'm not even going to bother. Elyos have the entire Abyss including Divine Fortress. When they cancelled the server transfers the Asmodian race lost their once chance to even the odds - I think most people on Asmo side just quit after that.

/tangent
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:59:35 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: August 27, 2010, 10:28:37 AM »

I think what really sent fluxes sky high was when they added vendors that sold them... for insane prices. So people just undercut the vendors a tad and thought they were giving people a bargain. I would try Balaurea but pvp is so broken right now on my server I'm not even going to bother. Elyos have the entire Abyss including Divine Fortress. When they cancelled the server transfers the Asmodian race lost their once chance to even the odds - I think most people on Asmo side just quit after that.

/tangent

Aion's server merge and the free unmoderated transfer a week after the merges ,pretty much put the game on life support. NcSoft in all their wisdom merged alot of servers that should not have been merged together. The result was alot of Elyos dominated servers where not only were asmo out numbered, but hopelessly out geared as well. Ziikel players from both factions did population counts using the game character search. The numbers were not pretty, just barely  3:2. The first night elyos had 33 freaking alliances during fort sieige.  The next problem was NcSoft set up a event  called "dash of the daevas". This event rewarded the faction who could totally dominate the opposing side 14 Major Ancient crowns,  which is around 133k ap. Elyos went into burn, rape, and pillage mode and stomped the Asmodians into the ground, on all NA servers, except vaizel. Guess where most of the asmo transferred to the first instant free unmoderated transfers were available ? NcSoft is still trying to fix the mess they themselves created.  Its gotten to the point where they changed the event rewards and used  the crowns as a carrot on a stick to bleed subs. They claimed  they had technical difficulties delivering the crowns, yet they mysteriously become available right after the times most peoples subs renewed. All you had to so to receive the crowns was  be a active subscriber, this was available to anyone who played the game.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: August 27, 2010, 05:07:41 PM »

Well, for one TERA isn't going to be managed by NCSoft, that's a big plus to begin with. Honestly, all you really need to combat RMT is an ACTIVE support and GM staff as well as a game that doesn't burden its players with money sinks or too many out of reach "must have" items.

Games like Lineage and Aion have such simplistic macro routes that bots can be made quiet easily, WoW not so much since you can't put "wait" into any supported macro. Since TERA is all about player skill (aiming reticule) it will be very difficult for them to program a bot to farm mobs. Also, we have no idea how the currency is going to work in TERA either, if it follows the WoW model they may not have too many problems keeping the economic impact negligent. RMT will always be a presence, but as long as the developers are active in seeking them out and banning accounts etc. it can be held under control. RMT is MMO herpes - once its there, its there for life, all you can do is manage it so you don't have any unsightly flareups ;p

Ah you're right.  It slipped my mind how Tera has that aiming element (which is pretty cool imo).  I'm sure a bot could still figure it out since there are bots in games like Counter Strike and the like, but who knows.  Hopefully it's good.

its funny because now everyone farms that mount

The drop rate is still extremely low.  Only difference is you only need a handful of people to do these days.  It's still on a weekly timer too.  As far as second one he has - impossible. The item is unique.  If you have it trained already or have an item of it, you can't loot it into your bags. 

Here's the story about WoW's first RMT millionaire.
http://www.wowgold.net/blog/warcraft-news/fun-stuff

Wow.. I hope the kid was filthy rich in real life otherwise what a waste. The article says he thinks the gold retains its value.  While he will probably never run out, there is massive inflation every expansion.  Hopefully Cata keeps it in check, but it has happened quite obviously every expansion so far.  The real question is, how did Blizzard not notice an influx of 1 million gold into some guys account?  I've heard of people getting banned for thousands if caught.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:13:13 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: August 27, 2010, 05:25:54 PM »

Pre-release trailer is up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW-dfDTruMQ
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 27, 2010, 05:46:06 PM »

Open beta schedule has been announced.

The FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test begins on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 19:00 (PDT)! We hope to see everyone participate!

What server are you guys planning on using Parn? If we're going to make the most of this we really all need to coordinate servers.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:51:49 PM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: August 27, 2010, 05:52:15 PM »

I'm not sure what Eorzeapedia plans on doing.  I'm kind of waiting to see what happens.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: August 27, 2010, 09:17:31 PM »

Fatigue System Chart (ONE JOB ONLY)
http://dnachan.com/images/ffxiv/expchart.png
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 27, 2010, 10:58:58 PM »

I'm not sure what Eorzeapedia plans on doing.  I'm kind of waiting to see what happens.

Ok let me know. I know the guys over at Blue Gartyr will be doing Emperor again. I'm flexible. Moved from Garland to Golbez for friends that ended up not playing anyway so...
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 27, 2010, 11:01:29 PM »

Fatigue System Chart (ONE JOB ONLY)
http://dnachan.com/images/ffxiv/expchart.png

That's not really relevant anymore since it's a skill point number that determines cap, not time. Since SP/XP varies greatly between guildleves and grinding the time needed to reach the cap can vary wildly.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 28, 2010, 05:43:29 AM »

Yup there be Judges in the .dat files.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 30, 2010, 02:02:47 PM »

Open beta client now available for download. You may need to disable your antivirus software to patch up without errors however. See you all on Tuesday evening once a server is decided.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: August 30, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »

Does anyone know what is exactly meant by "open" beta in this case?

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: August 30, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »

I wouldn't mind playing with other 'fanners, so if you guys pick up a server let us know.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 54 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: