Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 07:22:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341044 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FFXIV Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 54 Print
Author Topic: FFXIV Thread  (Read 117335 times)
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: October 10, 2010, 01:47:05 AM »

Japanese gamers hold a funeral for FFXIV

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/24762-the-funeral-of-ffxiv/

I read that, and thought it was pretty funny. 2ch is pretty much a cesspool though. I think it's funny that in protest they're going to play WoW. It's kinda funny that it's not available in Japan. If that was the case XIV might have been a different beast considering how much XI was inspired by EQ. Though it's important to note that Tanaka is a huge fan of D&D, which isnt known for it's user friendliness :)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #526 on: October 10, 2010, 03:35:30 AM »

Project Rapture was announced in 2005.

That's a lot of time for one game, more than XIII if I'm not wrong. And well, I don't know what to say really... all this negativity over the game is just hyperbole or is really that bad? Yeah the reviews said that overall the game have serious problems, but it has potential. That kinda contradictory at this point.

The game was released and with all this mess I don't know what to think anymore. *sigh* I guess I'll just keep waiting for Versus and Agito XIII. :(
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: October 10, 2010, 03:45:03 AM »

Saying "it has potential" doesn't really have any meaning, to be completely honest. I doubt people would say that if this wasn't a Final Fantasy game. There's lots of other games that have potential, including every other MMO that had a shitty launch (Age of Conan for instance). It's not really contradictory- it means the game in its current state is pretty crappy, but it can be fixed eventually...that is, assuming they bother. With the SE I've known the past 6 years playing XI, I'm not so confident myself.

I'm under the impression that XIV had many of the same problems in development XIII did, in that they sat around just waiting for Crystal Tools to be finished a large chunk of that time, or it was a lot of brainstorming and not a lot of doing.

Remember when they said it wasn't going to be a Final Fantasy game?
Remember when they said the game wouldn't have any actual levels in the conventional sense?
Yeah.

all this negativity over the game is just hyperbole or is really that bad?

It depends. If you're someone who has played many MMOs before, which is one of the main audiences for this game, then no, it's not hyperbole.

If this is your first MMO you probably won't notice the horrible UI and such nearly as much.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: October 10, 2010, 04:08:03 AM »

If I play XIV then this is going to be pretty much my first "real" MMO, and that alone makes me cry inside. Final Fantasy IX was my first RPG ever and that was better than ten blowjobs in a row when I was a kid. But XI was "meh" at best for me when it was released, and now XIV looks shiny and sexy like every Square Enix game ever made, so... I think I'll wait for Final Fantasy XV (or I don't know, other game) and maybe buy the soundtracks for XIV.

Yep. :T

Also, thanks for answering so fast.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: October 10, 2010, 04:11:31 AM »

Ygg just torrent the game then play a free month with a buddy code. I warn you though you may face disappointment.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA7GGnyNwEs&feature=related

LMAO
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:15:20 AM by Thoren » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: October 10, 2010, 04:16:29 AM »

disappointment.

I'll just keep watching the opening of the game in YouTube (again).
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #531 on: October 10, 2010, 08:25:18 PM »

http://www.develop-online.net/news/33514/Final-Fantasy-XIV-a-serious-WoW-rival-says-Wada
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: October 10, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »

people saying that their product is better than the oppositions!?

ive never seen that before man
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: October 10, 2010, 11:59:50 PM »

Square-Enix stockholder sells 1% of the company's stock due to disappointment in FFXIV
http://www.ffxivblog.com/content.php/412-Precipitous-drop-in-SE-stock-price-XIV-to-be-blamed!?commentid=4668
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: October 11, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »

Wooowie...  Amazing the unanimous disappointment this game has received.

A shame, too.  I get suckered into online games and this one looked brilliant and one I would have considered....*sigh* paying...a... monthly fee.  Blargh...

I wonder if Squeenix has any plans to fix this.  And if so, how fast and what can they change?

EDIT In defense of the copy+paste fields, why didn't anyone complain when 2D/2.5D MMORPGs did this?!  Every fucken tree grew the same goddamn branches, but NNnnooOooOOoo, we choose to complain nooow.
(I'm fucken around eh)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:00:50 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #535 on: October 11, 2010, 10:45:27 PM »

Wooowie...  Amazing the unanimous disappointment this game has received.

A shame, too.  I get suckered into online games and this one looked brilliant and one I would have considered....*sigh* paying...a... monthly fee.  Blargh...

I wonder if Squeenix has any plans to fix this.  And if so, how fast and what can they change?

EDIT In defense of the copy+paste fields, why didn't anyone complain when 2D/2.5D MMORPGs did this?!  Every fucken tree grew the same goddamn branches, but NNnnooOooOOoo, we choose to complain nooow.
(I'm fucken around eh)

The thing is now, MMOs aren't cheap to make.  You're not making a game you release and forget about, you make a service, which you need to support for an indefinite amount of time.  SE better fix it since they spent millions on it, but sadly i feel they're gonna operate like they did in FFXI :-/

I guess a serious drop in users in the next few months or a dip in stocks might be a wakeup call.  But we'll see. 

BTW I see nothing wrong with copy+paste, every game out there is guilty of this.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: October 12, 2010, 01:27:43 AM »

Every game out there doesn't do it as obviously. The exact same rock formations are literally 4 or 5 seconds of running away from each other. Hallways between "rooms" are the same. Not even XI did it so shoddily. The formations are too artificial- the closest thing I can compare it to is XI's Whitegate, which actually has a reason for being artificial and organized(It's a town). Also they don't reuse models, they reuse entire sections, small streams, etc. It's a lot more noticeable in 3d than in 2d, anyway.

We're not talking about making 5 different tree models and sticking random arrangements of them in a forest, where it won't be noticed as much. We're talking about things that are really easy to spot if you cared the least bit about the game's exploration, which is what you would be doing when the gameplay's so lacking.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #537 on: October 12, 2010, 04:00:39 AM »

Justify this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EaGvRv6jqw
Datastorm

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: October 12, 2010, 09:23:45 AM »

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:25:26 PM by Datastorm » Logged

doh
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: October 12, 2010, 09:42:14 AM »

No see, they want to make sure the game is balanced because the game was designed for PS3! I mean, everyone on a PS3 won't be able to use a mouse, so you gotta make it equally shitty for everyone!

I mean it's not like you can turn that argument around by saying not every PC gamer has a gamepad and the PS3 version can easily support USB mice and keyboards or anything like that!

EDIT:

On a more positive note, I like a lot of music. Lots of people seem to love Nail of the Heavens, but personally I like The Forest's Pulse the most out of the battle songs.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:58:55 AM by Hathen » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 54 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: