Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 08:31:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340863 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Crystal Chronicals order... CANCELED
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Crystal Chronicals order... CANCELED  (Read 4935 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2009, 03:23:57 PM »

I've never done this before, but a week ago I preordered Final Fantasy: Crystal Chroicals: Crystal Bearers, and just now I had that preorder... CANCELED.

I've had high hopes for this game for a very long time. But the reviews of this game have been terrible at best. I think the highest score it's gotten is a 70%. That's Dawn of Mana bad... that's Lunar Dragon Song bad! I'm sorry, I'm not going to spend $50 to be a guinnea pig for a game that everyone is saying is a total waste of time. I've already had a terrible time having to slog my way through Dragon Age: Origins, and having to put Assassin's Creed II on the backburner. With everything that's coming out, I've got much better things to do with my time. After a 10 minute wait on the phone with Best Buy, I'm now $50 richer, and from what it sounds like, I'm going to be about 10 IQ points smarter (not having lost that in a week's time). Part of me feels really upset because it was probably my most anticipated game for the last 2 years... but other things are starting to look very good (FFXIII, ME2, AC2, Fragile... to name a few), so I'm not that distraught.

Damnit S-E, I really thought you were going to do something quality with the Wii, instead of furthering the already mile high butt-load of shovelwear.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 03:28:25 PM »

I've never done this before, but a week ago I preordered Final Fantasy: Crystal Chroicals: Crystal Bearers, and just now I had that preorder... CANCELED.

I did the same, because it made more sense to wait 'till it's $15-$20 before buying this...

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Myght

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 03:37:35 PM »

I wanted that one also but, It just did not feel right from the get go. So, I'll wait with the others for the price to drop.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 03:51:18 PM »

Isn't...70% a really good score at most sites?  I was pretty sure most sites had converted to the "50% is an average game" scale by now.

And didn't Lunar: Dragon Song score into the 30%'s?  Comparing this to that seems a little extreme.

Anyway, the main point I'm hearing (since I read the reviews instead of just looking at the scores, since usually the scores are meaningless) is that the game just isn't for everybody, not that it's bad.  It's a free-roaming game where you use your hero's psychic powers to cause reactions with monsters and objects.  It's your call if you want to immediately write it off because a bunch of reviewers attached numbers lower then 9 to it, but if you were interested before it seems kind of silly to just immediately lose interest because of something like that.

I wasn't planning to buy it either way, FYI, I just think that reactions like this to reviewer opinions are absurd.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »

I don't think it's silly at all. I'm really picky. I find that I usually don't really enjoy games that get much below a 90%, and even if they do, I still sometimes don't like them (DA:O). 70% is a pretty shitty score on most sites. I don't know what you're talking about with this 50% is an average game. That may your personal idea of how game scores should be... hell, it might be mine, but it's not the reality. 70% is a pretty crappy score, and that's the HIGHEST score that FF:CC:CB has been given.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 05:22:05 PM »

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/finalfantasycrystalchroniclesthecrystalbearers

Two 80s, one 77 and one 75 as opposed to 70, 62, 60, 55 and a 42 if we're just looking at the numbers. The average is a 65, which seems like a generally average game in my book, and that's only with a small number of 9 reviewers. If I was really interested in this game, I'd at least give it a shot from what I've actually read in the reviews. But there are more important games coming soon and this is taking a backseat for me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:24:53 PM by Jet16 » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »

Eh. I've got discounts that brought it down to $40, and Amazon's offering a $10 gift certificate. If I don't like it I figure I can immediately trade it in and effectively pay 5-10 to have had it for awhile at worst.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 05:47:01 PM »

I probably would have picked this game up if not for the crazy set of releases in the first three months of 2010. Due to its average reception, I'll just wait until April and check on Ebay since I'm not genuinely interested in it.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »

I don't think it's silly at all. I'm really picky. I find that I usually don't really enjoy games that get much below a 90%, and even if they do, I still sometimes don't like them (DA:O). 70% is a pretty shitty score on most sites. I don't know what you're talking about with this 50% is an average game. That may your personal idea of how game scores should be... hell, it might be mine, but it's not the reality. 70% is a pretty crappy score, and that's the HIGHEST score that FF:CC:CB has been given.

No, most of the sites I visit have 5/10 set as the average, with 7/10 being above average.

And my main point was that I felt it silly to not buy a game because the numbers attached to it were low.  If I trusted reviews, I wouldn't have touched God Hand, which was one of the most amazing brawlers I've played in my entire life.  I also wouldn't have played Baroque, and we all know how I feel about that one.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 07:03:43 PM »

Who cares what scores a game gets? I don't go around looking for games that have good reviews just so I can play them. They only time I read reviews is after I played the game to see what other people thought about it.

You seem to place a really big emphasis on what scores a game gets in reviews.Why? As far as I'm concerned, a 70% would be an average score, which should mean that the game is good, despite some flaws. I've seen games on this site get a 70% or so where everything is good, but the only thing that dropped it down so low is the story having a 50% or something. You can't always go by the numbers.

The Dark Spire was a game that got pretty low scores as far as I remember, but did I like it? I sure as hell did. Then again, 1st person dungeon crawlers are my thing, so I'm more inclined to enjoy them regardless.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 07:17:27 PM »

I've always gotten the impression that 70 meant a game was good but not necessarily a must have, which admittedly can still be enough to skip out on Crystal Bearers unless nothing else interests you whatsoever.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 07:33:35 PM »

Isn't...70% a really good score at most sites?  I was pretty sure most sites had converted to the "50% is an average game" scale by now.

I always thought of it like uni/college scoring.
Anything below 50% is a fail.
60% is a meh.
70% is average.
80+ is the mark ya wanna get.

Who cares what scores a game gets? I don't go around looking for games that have good reviews just so I can play them. They only time I read reviews is after I played the game to see what other people thought about it.

For the most part, yeah, its hard to take reviews as fact when opinions and game perceptions vary.  
What does matter is when a greater consensus says a game sucks, and quite a bit of money is riding on getting it.  $50 is quite a lot to drop on something you won't enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 08:09:28 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »

I always thought of it like uni/college scoring.
Anything below 50% is a fail.
60% is a meh.
70% is average.
80+ is the mark ya wanna get.

That's the system a lot of review places used to use, but from what I've seen a lot of places have been trying to use the entire numerical scale.  Using the system you outlined, all the numbers below 6/10 mean basically the same thing, it's just telling you the degree of awful the game has reached.  With 5/10 as the "average game that most people would probably enjoy", it really differentiates what the scores mean better.

But this isn't a topic about that, I was just trying to point out that saying "This game didn't score a 9/10 therefore I now hate it" seemed off to me.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 09:11:36 PM »

Well, I didn't only look at the score, obviously. My real concern was that all of the reviewers said it was pretty bad, and gave good explanations as to why. Terrible script/VO + boring battles + extremely broken control system + short game artificially stretched doesn't sound like my idea of a good $50 purchase.

Maybe I have more faith in critics than most people, I've been accused of a lot worse things. I don't always believe them when they like it, but I'll usually give them a notice if they don't.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 09:46:13 PM »

Artificially stretched? It actually sounds like they kept that from the main quest so you could blaze through that filler-free then do the extra crap at your own leisure.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: