Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 02:39:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327544 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Getting psyched for Sakura Wars ~So Long, My Love~
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Getting psyched for Sakura Wars ~So Long, My Love~  (Read 24197 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2009, 01:22:37 AM »

As most of you know, NIS America has somehow managed to bring an entry from the Sakura Wars (Sakura Taisen) series to North America. It's one of those holy grails of JRPGs that we thought could never stand a chance.

Anyway, Sakura Wars ~So Long, My Love~ (Sakura Taisen V in Japan) was developed and released a good four or five years ago. And to date, it remains the last game in the series. It takes place in New York City, and it has a strong, diverse cast of characters.

The game is scheduled to launch in February for both PS2 and Wii. A limited edition version will come with a second disc of just Japanese-language voicing (this was to avoid cutting voicing to save on disc space, as they had done with Ar tonelico 2 and some other games).

I'm playing a preview build of the English version right now, and even though it's not entirely polished, I have to share with y'all right now that this may well be the best game NISA has ever brought stateside. I am loving the crap out of this game. If it opens the doors to a possible localization of Sakura Wars 1+2 for PSP, that would be amazing. You may say "isn't it too late?" But when you remember how old Sakura Wars V is, one can definitely say "better late than never."

A more fleshed-out preview will be up on RPGFan soon. Also, if you wanna get pumped about the music, check out these old soundtrack reviews I wrote.

http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/st5ost/index.html -- the OST

http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/st5songs/index.html -- the (insanely awesome) vocal album

and also, Chris Winkler's import review, wherein he gave it an editor's choice award.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/sakurataisen5/index.html

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 01:42:56 AM »

Amazon & Gamestop both list it as coming out at the end of March. Also Gamestop has the Wii version for $30 which is awfully tempting.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 01:48:03 AM »

Cheap price, good game, X360 at brothers' house.... sounds okay to me.

At least, I hope it is as good as you say... =(
Love the Sakura series.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Madoka

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 02:25:10 AM »

I've had this pre-ordered on Amazon for months and can't wait to play it. However, if only the limited edition will have the Japanese disc, I will have to get that.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 08:49:38 AM »

i want this

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 11:28:39 AM »

The "regular versions" will probably retail everywhere for $30. I'd recommend paying more to get the Japanese voice disc from the LE. As good as the English VA is, the original is always worth hearing.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »

I'm honestly not sure if I'll get this right away. NISA fucking sucks at scheduling releases, with this and Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! 2 coming out in March... this on the same day as Strange Journey. WTF.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 07:57:24 PM »

I have not been this excited for a game since SMT Nocturne.

I simply can not wait.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 10:20:14 PM »

The "regular versions" will probably retail everywhere for $30. I'd recommend paying more to get the Japanese voice disc from the LE. As good as the English VA is, the original is always worth hearing.

When the seiyuus aren't butchering English, the Japanese casting for Sakura Taisen's been pretty darn solid.  Kind of lame NIS resorted to the whole LE only version to offer the original cast, but all things said and done, it's better than no Japanese option.  Or cutting ~25% of the Japanese lines or whatever like with Ar Tonelico 2. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 10:22:54 PM by Ryos » Logged

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 10:42:38 PM »

I'd have preferred AT2 to be dub only rather than butchered for dual-languages. It wasn't like the dub was bad, it was actually really good.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 08:58:14 AM »

God damn it

I want this game but I dont want to have to play it in my shitty 480i resolution
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 09:22:31 PM »

Just read the preview on the main site (Yes, I actually read the main site.  Imagine that :P).  You guys actually managed to get me excited for Sakura Wars all over again!  And it looks like it just showed up at the Rosenqueen store, so I'll preorder it from there!

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 01:12:34 AM »

Yeah, I might be doing that too. Good thing I didn't preorder it yet.

I really want this to be a success, but the odds of that are looking very bleak.

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 01:34:09 AM »

The PS2 lives a little longer.  I think I'll have to get this game. Intresting import review.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 09:05:21 AM »

I have also been convinced to check this game out.  I do hope it runs on my 80GB b/c PS3, though...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: