Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 12:15:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338627 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Getting psyched for Sakura Wars ~So Long, My Love~
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print
Author Topic: Getting psyched for Sakura Wars ~So Long, My Love~  (Read 25755 times)
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2010, 01:04:10 AM »

I wonder what separates the line between a game being hard from a frustrating game... nevertheless this game could be easy if played in the right way.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2010, 01:05:15 PM »

Beat it last night. As I said in my previous post, it took me a while to get into it, but I once I did I was having a blast. The last two chapters have probably more SRPG than the other chapters combined and some of the battle were semi-challenging, in that there was only one strategy that worked (especially in one of them). My only major complaint was the slowdown in some battles, at least in the Wii version. Does the PS2 version have it too?

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2010, 09:07:13 PM »

Beat it last night. As I said in my previous post, it took me a while to get into it, but I once I did I was having a blast. The last two chapters have probably more SRPG than the other chapters combined and some of the battle were semi-challenging, in that there was only one strategy that worked (especially in one of them). My only major complaint was the slowdown in some battles, at least in the Wii version. Does the PS2 version have it too?

Yes -.-', that is the only downside of this game xD

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2010, 09:22:45 PM »

You come into battle with a carefree attitude rather than some autism-fueled determination.

That's very insulting.  Does someone completing a crossword puzzle or sudoku have 'autism-fueled determination' because they are going to use their brain a bit?  If you like games where you can brainlessly mash/grind your way to 'win', feel free to play them, but don't insult others as being mentally retarded in the process.

This made combat fun, but when you're just having fun, you slip up.

Wrong.  Once a skilled player is good enough at a game or genre, even having fun they are naturally less likely to 'slip up' on a relatively easy game like this.

I wonder what separates the line between a game being hard from a frustrating game... nevertheless this game could be easy if played in the right way.

It's relative to how easily frustrated you are.  There's always one 'right way' or most efficient strategy in an SRPG, the challenge is learning and using it.

some of the battle were semi-challenging, in that there was only one strategy that worked (especially in one of them).

There's really not much room for strategic depth/variety in the first place considering the units are practically identical.

I guess I'll just link this SRPG 101 article again for anyone interested in learning more about the genre.  I did add quite a bit more to it.

http://tbtactics.blogspot.com/2010/04/srpgtbs-101.html
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »

I picked a new copy of this up today :D

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2011, 10:41:58 PM »

Just picked up the PS2 version a few days ago (had the Wii one for awhile but I hate the Wii controls) and I'm really looking forward to getting back into this gem! Anyhow, anyone else find the Wii controls a tad clunky and if so is PS2 version a better interface? (or maybe it's me, lol, I'm willing to admit that, just never got into the Wii much)

Everything's Eventual
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2011, 10:45:23 PM »

I picked a new copy of this up today :D

I picked this one up in December -- I had absolutely no expectations, good or bad, and just happened to find it at a Gamestop looking for something else, picking it up on a whim. But that (the part about no expectations,) may have been a good thing, as I was pleasantly surprised.  While there were some parts I found to be 'meh', 'So Long my Love' was very different from what  I was used to -- in a good way, and on the whole, I found it to be an enjoyable experience. Perhaps you may too. ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:02:19 AM by badsanta » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2011, 11:39:02 PM »

agreed PS2 controls are way cooler than Wii controls for this. Glad this thread resurrection happened and people are still discovering it. Maybe, someday, somehow, the other games in this series will grace the English-speaking world. :)

Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2011, 11:42:38 PM »

Yeah, I played the Wii version and the controls were such a hindrance.  :-(  So much dialogue, NISA did a great job with it!

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2011, 12:10:15 AM »

Wow, so strange that this thread got bumped. I actually just bought this game a complete whim when I was Gamestop the other day. I saw it sitting on the shelf and I knew it was rare, so I couldn't pass it up. It seems like something I'd like, but I honestly didn't know much about it when I bought it.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2011, 12:12:57 AM »

Yeah, I played the Wii version and the controls were such a hindrance.  :-(  So much dialogue, NISA did a great job with it!

Despite NISA doing a great job with it, I've seen nothing but complaining from the "hardcore" fans.

Then again, I suppose that happens with many games.  They're just not okay with anything else but a direct translation.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2011, 10:18:35 AM »

Complaining? They get an English disc *and* a Japanese disc? WTF do they want?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2011, 01:21:55 PM »

Just for the record, you can play the Wii version with the classic controller, which is what I did when I played it and the controls were never an issue.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2011, 10:59:50 AM »

Well, the game was made for the PS2.

Also, the 'hardcore' fans need to get a life. This was NIS's best localization ever, hands down.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2011, 12:01:03 PM »

That game was fun just based on how bat-crazy nuts it was. 

Just the whole premise of a broadway theather troupe, whose theater also doubles as launching pad for Giant Freaking robots to dispatch and fight for Justice makes me smile from ear to ear just thinking about it.  Beings the entire game's grind is basically just a dialogue based dating sim makes it even better and certainly unique amoung game choices availalbe in the states.  I'd love to see more of these games. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: