Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 07:19:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338764 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy VIII question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VIII question  (Read 13766 times)
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2009, 06:58:21 AM »

I fired up this one just a few minutes ago, and I guess I have to atone my sin of never finishing a Final Fantasy game. Anyway, I remember reading horror stories how it's possible to mess up your characters. Maybe something to do with GF's, I don't remember exactly.

So, is my memory failing me, or is there really something I should pay notice to?
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 08:52:38 AM »

Just play the game and have fun
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 09:13:10 AM »

I don't know about messing up a character permanently or anything, but the junction system is pretty in-depth. It's a lot of fun once  you get the hang of it though. The trick is to keep character levels relatively low (one popular challenge is to never gain levels at all), while raising GF stats and turning monsters into cards using one of the GF skills (I can't remember which one has it, but I'm sure a FAQ will answer that).
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 09:41:39 AM »

Easy way to get through the game or break the ga,e:
Code:
1. Learn Card Refine
2. Play the card game and win many cards
3. Convert the cards like crazy

You can get the best cards even at Balamb garden (where you start)

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »

I'll third making sure to play Triple Triad.  It's the only part of the game that's any fun!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 12:13:59 PM »

I'll third making sure to play Triple Triad.  It's the only part of the game that's any fun!

It's the least fun if you ask me. I'd rather actually play the game...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 12:19:17 PM »

Yeah, Gen's part of a significant minority but it's not one I belong to.

... Though I think I mostly enjoyed the game just because of brutally breaking it.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 01:16:22 PM »

Be sure to draw 100 of every spell you come across. It can be quite tedious but you can become powerful very quickly if you have patience. Also be sure to learn the status atk/def junctions right away on whatever GF that has 'em. It's always good to blind/silence/sleep an enemy while sitting back and drawing all their spells without them being able to do anything. Draw everything from bosses as well. They almost always have good magic. I guess that's it...just draw a lot:P

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 01:17:07 PM »

I think Triple Triad's great fun, and the fact that it offers you a non-traditional way to win the game is great. The one thing I really liked about FFVIII was the option of doing things a few different ways. But hey, I also feel that FFVIII is the best entry in the series thus far.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »

I think Triple Triad's great fun, and the fact that it offers you a non-traditional way to win the game is great. The one thing I really liked about FFVIII was the option of doing things a few different ways. But hey, I also feel that FFVIII is the best entry in the series thus far.

I'm with you on this games greatness, but I find Triple Triad boring (as well as the card game in FFIX). Whenever I would play it I was thinking about how much MORE fun I could be having actually playing the story and battling stuff.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 03:17:45 PM »

A few good tips...

"Junction Junction, What's Your Function?"
Junctioning is EVERYTHING in Final Fantasy VIII. There are no weapon/armor shops, so junctioning is your best way of increasing stats. Those that take the time to learn the junction system will have lots of fun simply because it's very customizable and also allows you to mow down enemies, moving through the game quickly, and building up even better junctions.

Rule of 100s
In every other Final Fantasy, the maximum number of any particular item is 99, In FFVIII that is 100. Let this stand, then, as a reminder for you in magic building, since magic is an item. It is far better to have one person junctioned to a full 100 spells, then two people junctioned to 50 spells. If you're not so keen on drawing 300 fires and maxing out all three current party members (along with 300 Blizzards and 300 Thunders), then get 100 Fires, stick it on one character, 100 Blizzards on another, and 100 Thunders on another. Obviously, there are times when you will have three party members with the same spell. Go to the "Magic Switch" section in the menu, and give it all to one person, and junction that to a stat. The higher the number of spells on a junction, the better it is... and 100 is the best for any particular spell. Much of the flexibility in the Junction system comes from moving spells around, and FF8 gives us a pretty good system for collecting and moving them around from character to character, get comfortable with this early, many people don't. Actually, I hear the first Japanese release was somewhat botched by not including certain switching commands.

AP Good, Exp Bad
Well, actually when you come down to it, Exp is kinda neutral, but you can get yourself into trouble if you're not careful. Doing strongly in FFVIII revolves around having a high enough ratio of AP to Exp, and utilizing that AP well to maximize your characters. See, enemies level up with you, so no matter how much you grind and gain levels, you won't really be much stronger against enemies. However, enemies do not gain abilities or junction stats, that's you're advantage over them, so use it. Draw as much magic as you need to create strong junctions (set aside some time to do this early, it will be much faster later on if you start early), and use your AP wisely to create strong characters. Forget the GF boosting stats until later, concentrate primarily on gaining junction slots and character stat up grades.

If you are a monster, you will be carded
See how I did that? I made an obligatory alcohol purchasing joke. But I mean it. Shiva has a skill that you can get that allows you to turn enemies into playing cards. Whether or not you want to play Triple Triad is irrelevant (I didn't), but carding an enemy will give you all its AP without gaining Exp. Remember what I said about maximizing your AP:Exp ratio? Well, what better way of doing that by NOT GAINING THE EXPERIENCE! You can only successfully use the skill when an enemy has been drained of about 3/4 of its HP, and only one party member will have the "Card" skill, so you won't be able to do it all the time, but even 30% will greatly increase your AP:Exp ratio, making stronger characters.

GFs are boring
Let's face it, Square got a bit carried away with GF animations and whatnot. Early on in the game, they're extremely powerful and damage all enemies on the screen. So some people get the impression that GF spamming is the best way to plow through the game. Those people eventually stop playing because they've had to sit through a total of 5 hours of GF animation sequences. Although this is going to be effective in the first quarter, it won't be so much in the middle and end game. If you concentrate on building up good junctions, you will end up with characters that make GFs look sissy. You'll have much quicker battles, more time to draw magic, and a lot more fun. Yes, in the beginning, you will end up GFing a lot, but keep building your characters, and the tides will turn in favor of attacking.

And finally... just because I don't recommend always using GFs for battle doesn't mean they're not extremely useful. GFs are the cornerstone of Junctioning. Grab up each GF you find. Some are actually DRAWN from off of bosses. Make sure to CHECK EVERY BOSS'S draw list. Not only will they usually have the best spells in any particular area, but they may also have a GF on them that you can only get by drawing it off of them. One of the last battles of Disc 1, during the Sorceress's Parade will contain the first drawable GF, Carbuncle. DON'T MISS IT!

Go ahead, have fun. I loved FFVIII, it remains my favorite Final Fantasy, even after all these years. A large part of that is because of the infinitely customizable junction system. I also really like the approach to story telling as well as the modern day setting. It's not for everyone, but it has a lot to offer that RPGs really don't tend to explore. So give it a go and if you put some effort into it, the game will play like a breeze.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 03:20:21 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 04:11:50 PM »

I'm with you on this games greatness, but I find Triple Triad boring (as well as the card game in FFIX). Whenever I would play it I was thinking about how much MORE fun I could be having actually playing the story and battling stuff.

Well, we agree on one thing, Tetra Master in 9 was absolute shit.

But I loved Triple Triad.  I love games that are based on mathematics and calculated victory, where you win based purely on your own playing skill and by outwitting your opponent, rather than any kind of randomness or such.  Triple Triad, barring the hidden card rule, was all of those things.  IMO, it was one of Square's greatest achievements in it's whole history.  The fact that you actually got in-game stuff at the same time just made it even more brilliant.  Winning all those Holy War items (and other various powerful apparatus) from the hero cards was a real treat.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »

Triple Triad- Random rule sucks.  Do everything you can not to spread it.  It's funny, I understood Triple Triad because the game itself made sense but I won more often in FF9's Tetra Master which seemed more like nonsense and blind luck.  

But FF8 is a game where it's important to learn and use the junction system.  It's possibly to make the game stupid easy with lots of drawing/junctioning but a lot of FF games have exploitable systems.  One thing you don't want to do is rely solely on Guardian Force summons and use Diablo's "enc non" skill throughout the whole game under the impression that "enemies level up with you so it'll be an easy ride."  Wrong.  The final boss's final form renders summoning null and void and because I sucked at the game (I thought the junction system was too cluttery and pretty much avoided it), I had to GameShark a final boss win.  The second time I played it, I actually took the time to mess around with the junction system and had a much better experience.  

Oh, and if you take the time to follow the "Zell's crush" sidequest it was one of my favorite subplots in the game.  

FF8 is one of those games I had a love-hate relationship with and I'm more or less neutral on.  I loved certain aspects but hated others.  Still, it's telling that despite the game being a decade old or so, it's still highly talked about and debated.  

EDIT: It's hard to really mess up characters, especially in the US version of FF8 where you can one-touch transfer GFs and their stats from one character to another without having to re-junction one aspect at a time. 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 04:22:39 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 04:43:02 PM »

Ah, someone else in love with FF8 like I am. It is indeed my favorite FF so far but FF13 looks like it will finally surpass that old classic.

I loved the flexibility of the Junction system but most of all I LOVED THE CHARACTERS.  Squall, Quistis, Selphie. Who needs another party? FF13 looks like it might have a party that rivals that with Lighting, Snow, Vanille.

The key with FF8 is not to bother getting all the magic in the game. One you learn what magic you should get to junction to your stats then you can get those from Cards. You can either play the card game or turn enemies into cards. Triple Triad has a whole quest devoted to getting the best cards and NOT spreading the random rule. Read a walkthrough on the card game and it becomes much more clear.

I never go for a low level game, enemies level up as you do which makes the game much more challegeing (IMHO, that means more fun) as you level up. And leveling up is quick and easy in this game but hardly does anything so DON'T GRIND. Instead use the Junction system and you'll have all the power you'll ever need.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 07:13:34 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »

Even if you do get the random rule, it's easy to deal with.  Just refine away all the cards you don't want.

Alternately, if you're obsessed with the game, keep it since it adds challenge to the game.  The entire game is ultimately about math once you have the same and plus rules, so low numbers don't matter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: