Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 08:26:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327552 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy VIII question
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VIII question  (Read 13541 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 06:45:46 PM »

You can of course, banish the random rule, which always helps. It's one of the first things I do when I get the option.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 08:25:50 PM »

I think I'm going to replay FF8 again, it's been a few years and I used to replay it every year.  There's a few things in the game that are missable, you should probably look up if you don't want to miss them.  It's mostly cards, but there's a few summons and items that are missable as well.  I'd suggest fighting Diablos as soon as you get the lamp to do so, not only is he easier at a lower level but Enc-Half and Enc-None are extremely useful in controlling just how difficult you want the game to be.  I could literally write paragraphs about all the options you have in this game, but you're better off just playing the game how you want or looking up information on the game.  As mentioned before Triple Triad will allow you to make the game a joke if you choose to do so.  You can get Lionheart on Disc 1 if you want to.

I will give you one Pro-Tip though, when you get Rinoa and have the option to start training Angelo, do NOT let him learn the useless moves.  I don't remember all the moves he has, but some are awesome (like healing Rinoa) and some aren't that great unless you wish to use them in a very specific situation (like finding items).  I beat Diablos with just Rinoa by letting him get her down to critical HP and having Angelo heal me over and over.  Not that he's all that hard to beat anyways, but I thought it was pretty funny.

Fred Flintstone

Yabba Dabba Doo!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 12:48:31 AM »

Protip: Don't level up.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 01:02:42 AM »

Protip: Don't level up.

Bah, level up. Your enemies will have better magic to draw and if you know how to use the Junction system you don't have to worry about status effects and you'll be able to kick butt without much diffculty.

Honestly, all the "don't level up" advice is pointless since its not needed at all an really just makes the game too easy. Plus, I find it very annoying to have to card every enemy just to avoid exp.

This thread has made me want to play FF8 again, I think I will. Right now.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:04:46 AM by bigdeath » Logged
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 01:10:35 AM »

Honestly, all the "don't level up" advice is pointless since its not needed at all an really just makes the game too easy. Plus, I find it very annoying to have to card every enemy just to avoid exp.

Now it's been a while since I last played FFVIII, but can't you just draw magic and flee from enemies in order to avoid EXP? Plus, if you so happen to get Enc-None or whatever that junction is called, you could use that?

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 01:14:31 AM »

Now it's been a while since I last played FFVIII, but can't you just draw magic and flee from enemies in order to avoid EXP? Plus, if you so happen to get Enc-None or whatever that junction is called, you could use that?

But then you miss out on AP and exp to develop your GF. Every now and then I like to use my summons just because their fun. Its only when people think they need to use them every battle that the animations become annoying.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 02:03:58 AM »

But then you also had Cautaur Island for your AP needs anyways. Besides GFs were useless in battle after the first disk unless it was Doomtrain. Also if you're not spamming limit breaks, you're doing it wrong. Modding cards is what you use to get your stats high enough for your limit breaks to start owning everything.

My suggestion for playing the game is to play as you feel as you should for the first disk. At the first opportunity during the second disk abuse the hell out of Card Mod and Limit Breaks and don't stop for the rest of the game.

If you are a monster, you will be carded
See how I did that? I made an obligatory alcohol purchasing joke. But I mean it. Shiva has a skill that you can get that allows you to turn enemies into playing cards. Whether or not you want to play Triple Triad is irrelevant (I didn't), but carding an enemy will give you all its AP without gaining Exp. Remember what I said about maximizing your AP:Exp ratio? Well, what better way of doing that by NOT GAINING THE EXPERIENCE! You can only successfully use the skill when an enemy has been drained of about 3/4 of its HP, and only one party member will have the "Card" skill, so you won't be able to do it all the time, but even 30% will greatly increase your AP:Exp ratio, making stronger characters.

Its actually Quezacotl (the other GF you get at the beginning of the game) that has the Card ability along with the Card Mod ability.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 03:04:25 AM »

I fired up this one just a few minutes ago, and I guess I have to atone my sin of never finishing a Final Fantasy game. Anyway, I remember reading horror stories how it's possible to mess up your characters. Maybe something to do with GF's, I don't remember exactly.

So, is my memory failing me, or is there really something I should pay notice to?

statistically it's not possible to mess up your characters however if you are not careful you can miss some stronger weapons and pulse ammo for irvine.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 12:49:09 PM »

Well, if you feel like grinding on Cautaur Island you could do that. I find that boring and needless. You can just play through the game normally and gain levels and beat the game without much trouble. If you don't level then all your doing is making the game much easier than it should be.

In fact, I say its much more of a challenge to try to beat the majority of the game at level 100. Low level game is super easy mode. And very annoying to have to card all enemies or just avoid battles. Sort of boring.

Besides GFs were useless in battle after the first disk unless it was Doomtrain. Also if you're not spamming limit breaks, you're doing it wrong.

Well, Disk one is plenty of time to have fun with GFs. :) And if you level up the latter GFs they can do a lot of damage. Besides, you don't need to spam limit breaks if you don't want too. Its a single player game, your not in a competition. But I like the limit breaks in this game so tend to do so anyway. Heehee. Got to get my final heaven off.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:40:46 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 04:38:18 PM »

Besides GFs were useless in battle after the first disk unless it was Doomtrain. Also if you're not spamming limit breaks, you're doing it wrong.

maybe in an offensive capacity but dont forget while summoning gf's take hits for you.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 05:59:15 PM »

The only reason people say to not level is for the perfectionists who want to max their stats.  If you wait until the end of the game you can use the stat boosting junctions so that when you level up you get like +40% to each stat, which in the end just makes it so you can junction crappier spells to your stats in order to max them at 255.  That's probably what people are referring to when they say you can screw up your stats.

Alternatively you can just eat monsters for like 200 hours and max your stats in a very slow manner.  It's your preference.  :P

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 09:26:03 PM »

Various tips for FF8:

A) You have to go out of your way to lose.
B) You acquire a fuckload of spells quickly.
C) Learn refine item, get fish fins from that fish enemy outside of balamb, and refine them into water.
D) Just mash auto-junction constantly.
E) In battle, pretty much do whatever does damage. I think the only way you could reasonably expect to die is if you just defend constantly.
F) Once you get Odin and the thing that replaces Odin (or that Odin replaces. I forgot the order), you will literally win every random battle instantly.
G) I'm not sure that you'd ever have any reason to cast anything besides Aura, in terms of spells.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 10:09:04 PM »

Protip: Holy is the best element, but not for the last battle.  Like 99% of the enemies in the game are either neutral or weak to it, but the final boss absorbs it.  So make sure you unequip it before you go in.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 11:39:15 PM »

maybe in an offensive capacity but dont forget while summoning gf's take hits for you.

There are better ways of mitigating damage than through GFs like 100 Drains junctioned to Status Attack or the Defend command. Besides, GFs wont stop status effects which are the worst things that can happen to your characters.

Well, if you feel like grinding on Cautaur Island you could do that. I find that boring and needless. You can just play through the game normally and gain levels and beat the game without much trouble. If you don't level then all your doing is making the game much easier than it should be.

In fact, I say its much more of a challenge to try to beat the majority of the game at level 100. Low level game is super easy mode. And very annoying to have to card all enemies or just avoid battles. Sort of boring.

Well, Disk one is plenty of time to have fun with GFs. :) And if you level up the latter GFs they can do a lot of damage. Besides, you don't need to spam limit breaks if you don't want too. Its a single player game, your not in a competition. But I like the limit breaks in this game so tend to do so anyway. Heehee. Got to get my final heaven off.

The reason why playing at level 100 is a bad idea (aside from the one already mentioned) is that Lv100 enemies pack several thousand HP apiece, and endgame enemies like Ruby Dragons are rockin' a couple hundred thousand HP apiece (maybe about 300k or 400k HP) and the max damage that any one hit can deal is 9999 or slightly less than 10K (aside from Eden who can do upwards to 50K but has an attack animation that goes on for about 5 minutes a shot). At 255 strength, your characters will almost always do 9999 HP worth of damage per shot and anyone with Haste or Triple junctioned to speed will be going so fast it makes everything else they do look like they're taking forever (including summoning a GF with max compatibility, nevermind the GFs attack animation or any GF without max compatibility). At this point you start to see take fucking forever to fight and that hitting max damage isn't nearly as important as hitting multiple times in a single turn and suddenly limit breaks like Squall's Renzokuken and Zell's Duel start looking like what the developers wanted you to use from the start.

The tl;dr is that at level 100 enemies get to Yizmat levels of stupid touph and anything that isn't hitting multiple times per shot is a wasted effort.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2009, 02:25:05 AM »

Yeah, I know. Thats why I said if you want to make FF8 a challange rather than easy mode then level up to 100 and have fun. Once you are level 100 and have gotten all the GF abilites you want then you can just use Enc-None and only fight the major monsters and bosses for the challange.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 02:30:53 AM by bigdeath » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: