Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:23:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332910 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  DS remake recomendations.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: DS remake recomendations.  (Read 3730 times)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 08:36:43 PM »

Although Chrono Trigger was more of a direct port, it wasn't bad since they added new dungeons and a new ending.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 10:28:57 PM »

I know FF4 like the back of my hand, and even finished the original Hardtype with no problems.  FF4 DS is just bullshit.  Unless Flamedogs capable of doing 2500 damage of unpreventable damage to the whole party is somehow fair.

Knowing FFIV as it stood in the past was probably your biggest hindrance. Just IMO. Yeah those Flamedogs are cheap, so yeah you gotta get those Augments. But there are plenty you can (and I did) miss. There are just some key augments you need to use, or put the right augment combos together (auto-cover + counter on Cecil, always have him defending). Things like that. It's a very different game than the SNES FFIV, but very much in the sense that it requires strategy and learning the quirks of each boss fight.

I thought FFIV DS was awesome.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »

I can't believe I made it to the end of FFIV.  I haven't beaten it yet, but every boss battle was a learning experience with a narrow victory.  I have no idea how I'm going to get through the final dungeon(s), as the regular enemies don't seem to be getting easier as I level up.

It is my understanding that Dragon Quest games are at least this difficult though.  I saw DQ4 and DQ5 at my gamestop; perhaps I'll buy DQ5.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 07:51:19 PM »

DQ4 and DQ5 aren't even half as broken as FF4DS.

And no, the endgame enemies are part of what made me just quit and sell the game.  I was overlevelled via the old Hardtype standard and still got killed regularly in one or two attacks.  And no, forcing me to leave Cecil defending in the backrow with Cover and Counter isn't a "fix", when that's the only way to get through the game your game is broken.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 08:24:48 PM »

I can't believe I made it to the end of FFIV.  I haven't beaten it yet, but every boss battle was a learning experience with a narrow victory.  I have no idea how I'm going to get through the final dungeon(s), as the regular enemies don't seem to be getting easier as I level up.

It is my understanding that Dragon Quest games are at least this difficult though.  I saw DQ4 and DQ5 at my gamestop; perhaps I'll buy DQ5.

Nah, one of the things that really stood out to me was how DQIV was fairly fast paced even in the bonus post-ending dungeon, whereas FFIV really, really dragged in the final dungeon and most spells that'd help alleviate it either don't work or are too costly to use all the time. That's it really, FFIV just got obnoxious by the end whereas DQIV and V weren't challenging in an obnoxious, overly tedious way.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 11:09:15 PM »

DQV also has the benefit of allowing you to recruit monsters for your party. By endgame the recruitable monsters get so strong they make even the hidden boss into a joke. And even some early monsters remain relevant for the rest of the game like the Slime Knight.

As for DQIV. I haven't played that version yet, but unless bosses got stupidly strong it shouldn't be too difficult now that your main healer doesn't have to spam Twhack spells at everything anymore.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Champloo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 04:22:12 PM »

I'd take either of the DQ games over FF IV myself. They play great - if you've played a Dragon Quest game before I'm sure you know what to expect here - and they both received really solid translations, even when you take into account the removal of party chat from IV.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: