Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 08:06:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331698 Posts in 13580 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New Information about Final Fantasy XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] Print
Author Topic: New Information about Final Fantasy XIII  (Read 79206 times)
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #630 on: December 28, 2009, 02:36:50 AM »

Yeah, saw a video walkthrough of that area. Am I going to hell for liking that corny song?
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #631 on: December 30, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »

I just read the RPGfan FF13 impressions, and the impressions say that FF13 is the hardest FF ever...I believe that FF12 also the hardest ever but it was a cake walk...and despite the impression being skeptical of the game alienating JRPG fans I'm still sure that it will get near perfect reviews across the board yawn....
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 30, 2009, 05:04:40 PM »

I just read James' impressions, as well, and the bit on toastyfrog.  I'm quite intrigued, as well.  Sounds like I'll enjoy it quite a bit.  A couple questions, though:

- I want to know more about the overworld--or lack thereof.  It seems hard to put into words, but it also sounds a bit like FFX's.  Is this the case?  That game didn't have an overworld until way later, and even then it wasn't much of an overworld.  Though, it still didn't feel like a big dungeon.
- Does it feel like an interactive movie in the way that Xenogears did?

You got me really curious about the game--moreso than before, anyway.  Nice brief writeup.

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #633 on: December 30, 2009, 05:05:35 PM »

Then don't read the reviews?

Anyways, while I don't remember reading that about FF12, FF12's difficulty is definitely in its end game material.  Some of the extra bosses really tried my patience (Hellloooo Genji boss)

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #634 on: December 30, 2009, 05:22:48 PM »

I actually struggled more with FFIV on DS than any of the PS2 Final Fantasy games. The international version of XII has some ridiculous challenge battles, including the fight against all of the Judges at the end. Before XIII I'd never played a FF game where regular fights can kill you again and again. There are also special challenge matches you have to complete to unlock each summon and some of those are a BITCH.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #635 on: December 30, 2009, 07:43:40 PM »

I think it's interesting how such a variety of people can enjoy the same genre while still having widely different opinions on what makes games good. Like for example, I've heard several people complain about the lack of towns in FF13 and yet to me that sounds awesome - I've always hated huge towns that interrupt the story and make me feel obliged to search from head to toe for fear of missing something. Linearity? Bring it on! Non-linear games tend to have poor gameplay balance and a severe case of aimlessness.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #636 on: December 30, 2009, 08:31:07 PM »

Robert, that's a great thing to say, because I completely disagree with your actual opinion (I love towns), but I think you're completely right about how RPGs attract all different sorts.

As for linearity, my preference is for linear games that fool me into thinking they're non-linear. FF7-FF9 for example, had you travelling from one end of the globe to the other and back and forth chasing different things, but in actuality, the game lead you those places instead of actually cutting you loose to do whatever you wanted. FFX, on the other hand, was a completely straight line from one end of the contenant to the other (Besaid to Zanarkand), and you knew exactly why and where you were going from the beginning. That was a bit much for me. I prefer smaller more immediate goals, and not know exactly where I'm going to be going all the time.

When people talk of FFXIII being a "straight line" or not, does that mean that it has no branches? Because I'm fine with that... what I disliked about FFX was that it litterally WAS a straight line, with only one basic goal: get to Zanarkand... stopping at temples along the way.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #637 on: December 30, 2009, 10:06:30 PM »

Now that this game has been released, I'm officially retiring this thread.  Take the discussion here  and try to forget that we had a forty-page topic dedicated to salivating over scraps of information. :P

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: