Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 06:39:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332945 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  (Article)Opinion: 2009 - The Last Days of the Japanese RPG?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: (Article)Opinion: 2009 - The Last Days of the Japanese RPG?  (Read 10427 times)
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2009, 01:00:18 PM »

Where have the vital Japanese role-playing games gone? If 2009 was a bad year for the game industry, it was even worse for the heart-sick JRPG fan. Game Developer magazine's production editor - and committed JRPG scholar - Jeff Fleming looks back at the past year of Japanese RPG releases in North America, and finds troubling signs of a genre in decline.]

The post-PlayStation 2 era has not been kind to the Japanese role-playing game. At the start of the decade it was easy to imagine Japanese RPGs taking over the world. Titles like Final Fantasy X and XII, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Xenosaga, Shenmue, Shadow Hearts, Skies of Arcadia, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, and Phantasy Star Online were just some of the highlights of time when another new JRPG was added to the stack faster than we could play them.

Read more here.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26637/Opinion_2009__The_Last_Days_of_the_Japanese_RPG.php
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:04:37 PM by Lord Dorkus » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 01:11:36 PM »

Or here at...http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=6892.0

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 04:11:44 PM »

They cited Windwaker as a JRPG

lol
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »

Things have been looking kind of grim lately, and yet it already looks like the first quarter of 2010 alone will have more quality JRPGs than all of 2009.  Actually, I am more optimistic about JRPGs right now than I have been in a long time.  So it seems a little premature to say they're dying.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 04:32:31 PM »

start of the decade

FFXII

Release date: 10/31/06

Whut.

Also, the fact that these articles are written constantly and yet they ALL seem to miss the literal sluice of JRPG's that have come out in the past couple years astounds me.  It's like some kind of lunatic selective game memory for gamers.  Top Ten lists rarely remember anything before the last 3-4 months of a year, but THE GENRE IS DYING articles seem able to completely ignore 5 years' worth of games.

If you want to talk about a dying genre, let's talk SHMUPs or pure platformers.  Anything else can go eat it's own ass if it thinks it's a "dying genre".

Edit: And upon actually reading the article, holy shit this guy is full of it.  "Retro Game Challenge had poor sales"?  Says who?  Apparently, they were good enough to get us Fragile, and I'd say that's more than enough.  Just because a game doesn't sell into the multi millions doesn't mean it was a financial flop, most smaller companies are happy with sales in the thousands.

He then goes on to complain that too many JRPG's are on handhelds and that not enough games are on Nintendo systems.  What the hell.  The whole article is this guy complaining that things have changed from when he was 12.  Boo fucking hoo.  What an utter waste of time.

Edit: And some of the comments are just as fucking stupid.  "RPG's by definition have to be HUGE games"  No, they fucking don't, it's the gamers who fucking demand hours of pointless sidequests that make them that way.  Some of the best RPG's out there are ones that are relatively small and can be completed in sub-20 hours, like Dragon Quest, the original few Final Fantasies, and most SRPG's.  God, this is hurting my brain.  Must...stop...reading.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:45:21 PM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 05:32:20 PM »

They cited Windwaker as a JRPG

lol

You mean they have been lying to me my whole tenure here at RPGFan?! I quit...

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 07:29:20 PM »

I do think it's a good article, and it brings up some sad points. The question is, if Japanese RPGs go by the wayside, will American RPGs come in to fill in the stylistic gaps? I mean, I'm 28, I just finished Dragon Age: Origins yesterday, and I was bored to tears throughout most of the game. Funny thing, is when I check a lot of game critic sites, many wRPGs are appealing more to critics than audiences. I think a lot of wRPGs look better on paper, and in conversation, then actually playing them. When I see websites that separate audience scores from critic scores, I notice that there's a consistant 5-8% gap, with critics tending to rate the games higher than audiences. What does that mean? The games are less than the sum of their parts. wRPGs are all very alive, very really, and very... bland. They're fun to talk about, and you won't have to mince words about themes of "friendship" "unity", and "togetherness". You'll tell yourself you're more empowered because the character is one YOU created, and you got to control a lot of "cool stuff" in the game. But is the experience, in the end, really worth it? Too much control means no direction. Too much realism means no stylistic variation.

Obviously not everyone in this world (or country) wants to play photorealistic sandbox RPGs all the time. If Japanese RPGs are out, who's going to step up to the plate? Obviously not Canada. I really could care less about the actual "Japanese Aesthetic". I've never really cared one way or the other about deformed anime faces, and kinda have to close my mind off to the themes of "friendship" and "unity" when I play a jRPG. But they do happen to offer me some aesthetic, narrative and gameplay concepts that I happen to find very fun. Will an american company come in to fill the void?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 07:41:18 PM »

But the main point is, JRPG's aren't even fucking close to "out".  There's more coming out now then there ever were!  The guy who wrote the article had to ignore and awful lot of pertinent information to make his point, and it's because he HAS no point, other than that the industry has changed since he was in his teens and he can't accept that.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 08:09:45 PM »

Aren't there lots of Japanese RPGs coming out next year for consoles?

For the PS3, I know around 10 that are coming out in the first 2 quarters, 3 which are multiplatform.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »

When I see websites that separate audience scores from critic scores, I notice that there's a consistant 5-8% gap, with critics tending to rate the games higher than audiences.

Oh look, Prime Mover's making shit up again.  We sure do love our statistics!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 10:14:13 PM »

When I see websites that separate audience scores from critic scores, I notice that there's a consistant 5-8% gap, with critics tending to rate the games higher than audiences.

Oh look, Prime Mover's making shit up again.  We sure do love our statistics!

On Gamespot they are always 5-8 & higher for the audience than the critic, unless it is a game that gets a 9.5 -10.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 10:25:54 PM »

Self-selection bias is such a wonderful thing.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 10:29:54 PM »

Man, some people sure are defensive of their JRPGs.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 10:31:40 PM »

Is he basing this off of the "User Score" some sites provide? Because that's the last damn thing I'd trust, too many fanboys artificially inflating or deflating the score.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 10:34:52 PM »

Come on guys, much of his argument revolves around his made up statistics!  Knock it off.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: