Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 03:41:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338465 Posts in 13855 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  (Article)Opinion: 2009 - The Last Days of the Japanese RPG?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: (Article)Opinion: 2009 - The Last Days of the Japanese RPG?  (Read 10893 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 10:38:53 PM »

Dead horse once again.  And couldn't similar sentiments of staleness be said for other genres of games as well, that they're relying too heavily on "trite-and-true" ideas rather than pushing their respective genres forward?  Could it be said that the best examples of various genres this year were not the envelope/boundary-pushing titles but merely the ones that executed tried-and-true ideas really well?  

One of my favorite video games this year is inFAMOUS.  I think the game is fantastic.  Does it reinvent the wheel?  No.  But it is a beautifully crafted wheel.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:41:20 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 10:40:09 PM »

No no no, I want to clarify whether it's made up statistics or ones you can't trust anyway.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 10:41:41 PM »

It's very likely the former, based off of selective viewing of the latter.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »

Dead horse once again.  And couldn't similar sentiments of staleness be said for other genres of games as well, that they're relying too heavily on "trite-and-true" ideas rather than pushing their respective genres forward?  Could it be said that the best examples of various genres this year were not the envelope/boundary-pushing titles but merely the ones that executed tried-and-true ideas really well? 

One of my favorite video games this year is inFAMOUS.  I think the game is fantastic.  Does it reinvent the wheel?  No.  But it is a beautifully crafted wheel.

inFamous was one of my favorites for the year too. I think it has the best sandbox world I've played. GTA can suck it.

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 12:38:11 PM »

"Retro Game Challenge had poor sales"?  Says who? 

The US publisher said that the sales of Retro Game Challenge weren't good enough to justify doing the sequel. That sounds like poor sales to me.

Personally, I think 2009 has been one of the weakest years for JRPGs in a long time, but 2010 looks much better so I'm not too worried.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 12:44:31 PM »

But they also said we wouldn't get Fragile if the sales weren't good enough, and we're getting it.  That tells me they did just fine.

It also depends on what "good enough" means in the two cases, of course.  The game could have been a financial success, but the second game might require much more work to the tune of XSeed not thinking they could make return on investment for that game.

Personally, I think this is another case like TWEWY, where it was judged a "failure" despite the fact that it sold out everywhere, simply because it didn't reach the same sales numbers that Final Fantasy usually does.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 03:48:28 PM »

When we miss out on the sequel I can't say the sales were just fine at all. Maybe not an catastrophic failure or anything, but it's not a success when we're missing out on the sequel.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 04:01:04 PM »

One of my favorite video games this year is inFAMOUS.  I think the game is fantastic.  Does it reinvent the wheel?  No.  But it is a beautifully crafted wheel.

inFamous was one of my favorites for the year too. I think it has the best sandbox world I've played. GTA can suck it.

Thirded.  That game was the reason I wanted a PS3, and it delivered.  Not sure if it was my absolute favorite game of the year - too hard to remember everything I played - but it's way up there.  Played through it twice, start to end, and I don't do that too often.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Husk

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 04:08:28 PM »

They cited Windwaker as a JRPG

lol

And also Shenmue.
/facepalm
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 04:18:05 PM »

Alright, for those of you who are insisting that I made that up:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/home/950918.html

GameFAQs Reader Average: 8.1
GameRankings Average: 8.8

Usually this is the other way around. More often than not, fanbois inflate the rating more than critics do. However, across the board, in all 3 versions of DA:O, critics seemed to rate the game higher than readers. I'm seeing the same over at 1up, although they don't actaully post an average. Critic gave it an A, most of the readers gave it somewhere around a B.

Of course, Parn and the other naysayers will have some assinine comment to make, either about GameFAQs, or about how I shouldn't trust reader scores or something. I'll be waiting for it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 05:10:15 PM »

Considering the flurry of threads/topics like this, perhaps my newly posted editorial has a shred of relevance:

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2009/640.html

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 05:19:45 PM »

My favorite JRPG is FFL2. I think that the modern trend of having settings that make sense is ruining games.

Seriously people!!!

FFXII is an epic quest about doing epic things with politics and deifacted nethicyte and more politics and things I didn't really understand because I am illiterate.

FFL2 is about leading a party of robots and elves inside of a priestess to look for magic gems and then you shoot the bad guys with rocket launchers.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:21:18 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 05:40:41 PM »

FFL2 is about leading a party of robots and elves inside of a priestess to look for magic gems and then you shoot the bad guys with rocket launchers.

And your fist is a breakable weapon (or is that just FFL1? not sure).
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2009, 06:30:25 PM »

The sky is falling the sky is falling the sky is

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2009, 06:44:11 PM »

The two best selling games in Japan this year are JRPGs.

The genre is doomed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: