Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 07:53:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341140 Posts in 13943 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  (Article)Opinion: 2009 - The Last Days of the Japanese RPG?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: (Article)Opinion: 2009 - The Last Days of the Japanese RPG?  (Read 11089 times)
Danakir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2009, 01:32:19 AM »

Didn't you get the memo? Sturgeon's Law also applies to people.

~My melody of life, rhyming to memento mori...
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2009, 03:35:44 AM »

Prime Mover, your post is the quintessence of the "Lies, damn lies, and statistics" saying. It's like the classic comparison of saying that because one particular summer ice cream sales and shark attacks both increased, that ice cream sales caused more shark attacks. It's absurd.

In my medical statistics & epidemiology class we call this selection bias, or as my professor would put it, "fucking retarded assholes cherry picking to fake the appearance of evidence." It's flawed in the most basic level. The fact that you would follow this up with a baseless accusation - an accusation that someone is ignoring facts based on their irrational love of a subgenre, no less - makes you look like a moron and a hypocrite.

You are forgetting the fact he is Parn, he most probably like jrpg, but saying he does, wouldnt be "fun"
Do you ever contribute anything remotely resembling intelligence to any conversation? I don't mean just here, I mean anywhere. I find it unlikely.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:40:13 AM by Leyviur » Logged

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2009, 09:28:15 AM »

You are forgetting the fact he is Parn, he most probably like jrpg, but saying he does, wouldnt be "fun"
Do you ever contribute anything remotely resembling intelligence to any conversation? I don't mean just here, I mean anywhere. I find it unlikely.
No. Though there is more than one that just post to make some ppl mad :P, at least i dont start attacking just when the other person posted his/her point of view.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:30:47 AM by WildArms » Logged

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2009, 11:09:46 AM »

No. Though there is more than one that just post to make some ppl mad :P, at least i dont start attacking just when the other person posted his/her point of view.

Is English your first language?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Danakir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2009, 11:22:31 AM »

And what about it?

It's certainly not mine.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2009, 11:52:07 AM »

And what about it?

It's certainly not mine.

That would explain why some of his sentences come off unintelligent and also make Leyviur's angry outburst towards him unnecessary.

"Oh, a hunter..."
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2009, 12:14:39 PM »

It obviously isn't but he's trying to do the best he can. It's also not my first (hell, it's my third) and I hate it when people say stuff like that.
I'm not saying that you are like that but a lot of americans seem to think that the rest of the world has some kind of obligation to speak their language perfectly. Obviously he registered knowing that this is a forum where people only speak english but give the guy a break.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2009, 12:25:55 PM »

It obviously isn't but he's trying to do the best he can. It's also not my first (hell, it's my third) and I hate it when people say stuff like that.
I'm not saying that you are like that but a lot of americans seem to think that the rest of the world has some kind of obligation to speak their language perfectly. Obviously he registered knowing that this is a forum where people only speak english but give the guy a break.

Whoa haha. I think a lot of people took my comment the wrong way and assumed I was taking a negative stance. I was just curious because Leyviur was very rude to him and by reading his posts I thought, "Hmm, maybe English isn't his first language, so maybe his rudeness towards him is a little bit too much" I'm definitely not one of those Americans that thinks people should come here and have to learn English. Sorry for the misunderstanding to anyone I offended.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2009, 12:38:22 PM »

I know it's off topic, but I really don't see the harm in desiring people who live in a country to speak the country's language.  If you live in Japan, you should know how to speak Japanese, and if you live in France, you should know French.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the internet, since you can have a single forum with people from all over, but you should still know the rudimentary parts of the languages commonly spoken on the forums.  I mean, it'd be pretty hard to understand some guy who joned who only spoke German.

Anyone who thinks that people in other countries should speak THEIR native language is just an asshat though.  And that goes for all countries, as I've seen my fair share of people visiting / living in America from other countries who were astounded and angry that I didn't know Spanish or German or French or whatever.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2009, 12:51:30 PM »

Oh woa O.o, well, actually, english is my third language, and well, i know sometimes i write in english what in spanish makes sense (and it doesnt in english,... is like a direct bad translation, just changing the words from the spanish sentence im thinking) since spanish is my native language, but im trying to correct that, and forums are a nice way to practice, even if some ppl just make fun or get mad of how you speak rudely :P.
But is ok, there are always people like that in every forum xD.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:53:02 PM by WildArms » Logged

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Danakir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2009, 12:57:59 PM »

While WildArms does sound awkward he is not, however, unintelligible. Should you really feel the need to complain about his grasp of the English language, may I recommend spending some time on GameFAQs?

Back on topic though, I don't think he was all that serious about his earlier comment.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2009, 01:42:37 PM »

You know, the language barrier only excuses some of it.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2009, 07:35:34 PM »

While WildArms does sound awkward he is not, however, unintelligible.

No, for that I'll read whatever the latest MashGearFox rant is. (As much as I tend to agree with what I can decern)

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: