Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 04:10:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334648 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Official Final Fantasy XIII Japanese Release Topic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: The Official Final Fantasy XIII Japanese Release Topic  (Read 24985 times)
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2009, 04:55:58 PM »

Yeah I know there is another one but it's 43 pages so I thought why not make a new one in light of the new hands-on quick write-up.

I have to say that while before I was completely ignoring(rather intentionally since the only console I have access to from this gen is a Wii) any info regarding FFXIII but that short blurb just instilled in me a deep desire to get the game.  Are the Xbox360 and PS3 versions being simultaneously released?  I may just get an Xbox360 ASAP for this.  Anyway...My first impressions from that writeup are rather strong.  It looks like they are really ramping up the quality of story telling in favor of exploration.  That isn't to say I don't enjoy exploration, but I find that these days since I really can't devote an enormous amount of time to games I'd rather be immersed in a top notch story than a subpar story with a nice world.  Seems though that most people would prefer a really expansive world.  The downside for me is the small number of weapons.  That is the one element that I do like major variety in.  It just feels really satisfying getting a brand new weapon to equip in games rather than just constantly upgrading one weapon.  Anyway...I must say that I haven't been this excited for an RPG since...man I can't even remember it's been so long.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:08:25 PM by D-Rider » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »

I'm not sure we need a second topic, but I'll reply to your questions.

-Xbox360 and PS3 will be simultaneously released.
-I somewhat agree with the story over world comment.  There are a ton of games around now that have huge huge worlds and I'm sorta happy that this game is a bit more linear (I realize this isn't exactly what you said). 
-I sorta like the idea of upgrading a weapon instead of buying a new one in every town (which there aren't a lot of).  Granted it IS a video game, but I always thought it was stupid that each town progressively had better armor/weapons. Other than for progressing reasons, it makes no sense.  Generally in most games you are buying all the upgrades anyway every time you can, so instead of doing that, make upgrades more meaningful and rare and then they'll be truly appreciated. That's one aspect I enjoyed of the Digital Devil Saga series and it's an aspect I'll enjoy in FFXIII.  BUT, they better include awesome end game weapons (I'd be surprised if they didn't) that take time and work to acquire.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 05:24:03 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »

I'm in agreement with having multipul FFXIII topics... but not a second until the game comes OUT. ie: one for pre-release, and one for post-release.

Let's lock this thread, throw the posts into the other thread, and wait until March to start a second thread. But yes, 60 pages of FFXIII before the game is even released (and then continuing that thread) would be a bad idea.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:52:10 PM »

I was tentatively interested in FFXIII because Lightning had me intrigued.  The more I read, the more I'm hot for FFXIII.  I don't have a next-gen console though, so it's a matter of coughing up some extra cash...not really a big deal. :P  I'd totally buy one of those pink FFXIII PS3s if they were available here.  Yes, I am insane.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 11:59:37 PM »

-I sorta like the idea of upgrading a weapon instead of buying a new one in every town (which there aren't a lot of).  Granted it IS a video game, but I always thought it was stupid that each town progressively had better armor/weapons. Other than for progressing reasons, it makes no sense.  Generally in most games you are buying all the upgrades anyway every time you can, so instead of doing that, make upgrades more meaningful and rare and then they'll be truly appreciated. That's one aspect I enjoyed of the Digital Devil Saga series and it's an aspect I'll enjoy in FFXIII.  BUT, they better include awesome end game weapons (I'd be surprised if they didn't) that take time and work to acquire.

I guess I should be clearer.  I do agree that new towns suddenly having better weapons is pretty stupid, I mean more that weapons should change.  It's really a silly thing but I just enjoy having a new looking weapon.  I guess it's more the novelty factor than anything but I feel like as a weapon gets stronger it should look stronger.  For instance, I like FF8's weapon system, where you can't just go and buy a weapon you actually have to acquire the items necessary to make it.

I'm curious as to how exactly it is challenging.  I like longer battles that require thinking and strategy as I really hate grinding for levels and just prefer exploiting weaknesses or playing around with different statuses.  Chain break system seems like good fun.  Guh....I wish I wasn't so poor so I could afford an xbox.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 12:07:59 AM »

Considering their the same price now I'm going to get a PS3 instead.

Its very litteral (as in walking mostly foward) for the first 20-30 hours and then it opens up for the missions in pulse. And your going to need to do them and even grind because of how hard the monsters are. Plenty of the big one can one shot your characters when you get there. Other just do so much damage you can't keep up. I looks like the first hard FF in a long time.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 12:16:28 AM »

You're going to be buying these games for your kids some day.

Think about that.

And dread.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 12:18:19 AM »

Considering their the same price now I'm going to get a PS3 instead.

Xbox360s are $100 cheaper
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 12:55:57 AM »

Xbox360s are $100 cheaper

Either you missed the price drops or are thinking like a marketing executive here. Yes, the cheapest model is $100 less, but then you don't get a hard drive, something that's becoming more and more of an essential component. The 360 Elite and PS3 are identical in price and storage capability.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 01:00:15 AM by Eusis » Logged
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 01:30:55 AM »

IMHO, there is no point in buying an xbox without a hard drive in which case its just better to go with the PS3.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 01:39:49 AM »

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/ffxiii-ps3-audio-and-video-uncompressed-not-so-on-xbox-360.html

If you want uncompressed video and audio and one disc, it's best to get the PS3 version. :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 01:56:35 AM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 01:52:09 AM »

That didn't say anything about 1080p videos, nor did its source.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 01:55:26 AM »

That didn't say anything about 1080p videos, nor did its source.

Well, the people that have the japanese version are confirming that it has 1080p videos. I don't know if the xbox360 does so well just have to wait and find out.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 01:58:16 AM »

Just removed my 1080p statement just to be safe. I guess I'm reading too much on the comments. :P

Anyway, I don't see why you shouldn't pick the PS3 version of FFXIII if you own both PS3 and 360... Unless you're an achievement whore or you like swapping discs.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 02:07:34 AM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 02:55:48 AM »

I'm definitely getting the PS3 version. FFXIII was one of the main reasons why I bought one in the first place, and I'm used to playing FF on PlayStation systems anyway (and Nintendo, when it comes to pre-VII installments).

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: