Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 03:07:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329767 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Official Final Fantasy XIII Japanese Release Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Print
Author Topic: The Official Final Fantasy XIII Japanese Release Topic  (Read 24618 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2010, 09:12:29 PM »

With all of FFXIII's cut content it could go either way... or it could be cutting out chapters because they suck, then realize they could get more money by selling them separately.

Those are my thoughts/concerns as well.  They supposedly made way more content than they needed for the main story (This could be standard for every game ever.  I imagine it is like that, but I really have no idea).  I'd much rather have the other content in the game from the beginning; not because of the cost but because i'd imagine it would feel less tacked.  I'll withhold judgment until they release the DLC.  Anything else is too much speculation for me.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2010, 09:28:57 PM »

I believe about every game makes cuts of SOME sort, and more often than we'd like to think it's for the best. Monkey Island 1 was going to have some mini-game that was more stupid than anything else, God of War cut a likely irritating stage that would've had you running from an encroaching sand storm, and when I see cut scenes on DVDs they usually aren't all that great compared to the rest of the movie anyway.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2010, 12:55:33 PM »

3 discs confirmed for the 360 version.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2010, 08:03:09 AM »

Tech analysis of the final code:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/tech-analysis-final-fantasy-xiii-article

Both graphics and frame rate have improved since the demo. Native 720p with 2MSAA except for the CG footage wich is 1080p. The game seems to upscale nicely so you can watch the whole thing in 1080p.
They assume that the 360 version will have slightly lower quality CG and compressed sound, cutscenes alone take up more than 32 GB on the blu-ray, the whole game will have to fit on 3 dvds, roughly 20 GB.
As for in game, some transparency effects are still causing some slight frame rate problems wich the 360 should handle better but we'll have to wait for the game's release to see.

All pretty irrelevant stuff at the end of the day, to be honest I think gamers are just spoiled. If my 10 year old self who was playing on a commodore 64 could see me nitpick about stuff like this he would beat the crap out of me (OK, maybe not...). Anyway, we are really taking it all for granted, I don't see anyone with the ability to appreciate how far we've come and it really bothers me, old school gamers should really be able to see that instead of wasting time with stupid flame wars.

A few years ago the characters in these games were a bunch of pixels and people were fine with that. Now they look almost real but it's never good enough. Seriously, we are a hard crowd to please.

I like to think that most of the bitching comes from people who arent old enough to remember a solid snake with a flat polygon for a face or games that were so low res that you couldn't tell a crate form a rock.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2010, 09:49:30 PM »

I think most people are quite impressed with the graphic of FF13. Its simply stunning. Don't let a very vocal but very few on the internet make you think gamers are hard to satisfy.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2010, 03:49:02 AM »

PSM3 gave it a 70%.

Dante's Inferno and MAG got higher. (MAG got 73% I think and DI got 80%).

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2010, 12:01:42 PM »

Not sure if this is a bug or not but it does make a lot of the 'omg this game is hard!' claims unwarranted.

Optima Cancel - Switching to optima config #1 after charging a full bar in another optima config results in a free fully charged ATB bar.  Once you have the free bar from switching to optima 1 you can switch to another optima and utilize the free bar if needed.  After using the free bar you will have to wait to charge another full bar before switching back to optima 1 and getting a free one again.  This makes the game a lot easier overall.

Other tips..

Take charged ATB actions immediately - press triangle to immediately execute the charged actions.
Cancel queued action - Press circle to immediately cancel actions in progress.  You can use this to juggle enemies repeatedly, or go into emergency defense/heal mode.

Always scan enemies.  It makes your CPU controlled allies perform more effective attacks vs the enemy weakness.

5 star rankings are based on how fast you completed the battle.  The 5 star time limit is based on your party members highest ATK/MAG.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2010, 03:07:27 PM »

Optima Cancel is part of the game as are the other tips. They are advance tactics that you pretty much need to use unless you want to make the game quite difficult.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:13:48 PM by bigdeath » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »

Interesting interview:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/02/square-enix-talks-final-fantasy-xiii-submit-your-questions/

Code:
"When you finish the main quest there are some growth elements of the the characters which will unlock once you’ve defeated the last boss. After this is done, you’ll be easily able to return to Pulse and take part in the many missions available there. There is no way to start the game again with your current character stats, however."

I'm really happy they finally did this, now you don't need to do everything before entering the final dungeon, you can complete the story if you want and then go for the sidequests, I really like this approach, you kill the bad guy, you become stronger in the process and then you go hunt those super strong monsters.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:11:59 AM by CDFN » Logged

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2010, 07:01:27 PM »

Code:
Gee, thanks for ruining the story. Now we know that not all the characters die in the end, like is implied throughout the game. Not your fault, CDFN... the article should have spoiler warnings.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:08:36 PM by Hidoshi » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2010, 07:15:13 PM »

Code:
Gee, thanks for ruining the story. Now we know that not all the characters die in the end, like is implied throughout the game. Not your fault, CDFN... the article should have spoiler warnings.

It is? Did you really expect that to happen? That would be pretty damn tragic :-)

Why is my post in code? I need sleep.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2010, 09:35:55 PM »

Let's see it: you save the world and everyone in your party dies, no afterlife.

"Thanks for playing"

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »

"Thanks for playing"

Its called real life. :P
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2010, 10:39:02 PM »

"Thanks for playing"

Gee. I hope you didn't just spoiler the ending without making it. Or, did you?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2010, 10:41:10 PM »

Optima Cancel is part of the game as are the other tips. They are advance tactics that you pretty much need to use unless you want to make the game quite difficult.

Well that's interesting.  Do you have a source that it's not a bug?  Is it listed in a manual, in game tutorial, or developer interview?  It seems like a very unusual and hard to figure out 'feature'.  Why does it only activate when you switch back to optima config 1 and not some other config?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: