Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 09:30:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338613 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Official Final Fantasy XIII Japanese Release Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: The Official Final Fantasy XIII Japanese Release Topic  (Read 25156 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 03:21:38 AM »

Well, the people that have the japanese version are confirming that it has 1080p videos.

Whoops, sorry about that then Hoshino. I do wonder though if that just means the videos will be 720p, depending on your setup there wouldn't be much of a difference in theory, especially with the news stories saying it's subtle.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 08:12:53 AM »

I have to say, I've been specifically trying to keep myself unimpressed by this game, but it keeps making it very hard to do so.  The last time I let myself get built up for an FF game, I got let down hard and fast (FFXII) but it keeps sounding like S-E finally learned it's lesson and started applying all the great innovations from the SaGa games to FF to make it better.

Anyway, one thing that I can't seem to get out of people is how differentiated the characters are in battle, or if they're different from each other at all.  Does the Crystalum or whatever system work like FFX's sphere grid, where everybody is really distinct early on but grows sort of indistinct later, or since all the grids are separate does it work more like FF4 where everyone remains staunchly different the whole game?  Also, how are Hope and Sahz in battle?  Those are the only two characters I really care about at this point, and nobody seems to be using them in the videos that have been releasing.  It's all just "Ohh, look at Lightning and Snow and don't they look cool?"
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 08:20:21 AM »

The Crystalum system is very similar to the sphere grid. Early on characters will have very specific roles to the point where magic users like Hope and Vanille literally cannot use regular attacks. Later on all six roles open up for everyone and there will be significant overlap. Depending on which routes you choose to evolve in the Crystalum grid first, you could end up with a lot of mages, warriors, buffers, or a mix. Usually stat differences will keep certain characters in one class - Lightning and Fang for example have an obvious bias toward melee, though Lightning learns a lot of good attack spells too.

Sazh's stats are weirdly lower than most of the other characters at this point. That's probably why not many people use him. He has a lot of HP and is sort of a jack-of-all-trades character in that he's decent with magic, has a good projectile attack with his guns, and can buff pretty well. The problem is that there is always some who can do those things better so you don't find yourself using him much.

Hope is easily the best attack mage and a good buffer. Vanille is a better healer and great at debuffing enemies and negative status magic. Snow is a big target with a lot of HP. Works great in the defender role.

My bread and butter party now is Lightning, Fang, and Hope. Sometimes I switch out Hope with Vanille and have a ladies night team.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 08:26:31 AM »

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/ffxiii-ps3-audio-and-video-uncompressed-not-so-on-xbox-360.html

If you want uncompressed video and audio and one disc, it's best to get the PS3 version. :P

The PS3 version will not have uncompressed video, and likely won't have uncompressed audio either.  Anyone who thinks it will doesn't understand the technology behind it.  I don't care what this news story says.  Uncompressed full RGB 1080p video at 24 frames per second will take over 11 GB of space for 60 seconds of video.  You would fill up a dual-layer Blu-Ray disc with less than 5 minutes of pre-rendered footage.

It will have less compression and thus will have higher quality, but no compression at all?  Don't make me laugh.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 11:05:54 AM »

I have no issue with no towns and a linear game...most RPG's are very linear and only have a false sense of freedom anyway.

Towns in RPGs for the most part are just hubs for useless NPCs who spout garbage and offer nothing to the game, cut that crap out and focus on what matters.

I'll probably be buying a PS3 for this, I already have an Xbox but want the PS3 for bluray anyway...

As far as the difficulty comments that people have made, optional and superbosses are not something I would take into account for when determining a games difficulty...they aren't part of the main game, and most of the time there is only one way to beat them through grinding or luck.

Difficulty in games is something that's very hard to nail down, too easy and gamers whine, too hard and gamers whine...but even games that are too easy are great if the story is the focus. I've quit far too many RPGs just due to a frustrating battle or dungeon because I didn't care one bit about seeing what happened to the characters or story.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 01:16:29 PM »

Sazh's stats are weirdly lower than most of the other characters at this point. That's probably why not many people use him. He has a lot of HP and is sort of a jack-of-all-trades character in that he's decent with magic, has a good projectile attack with his guns, and can buff pretty well. The problem is that there is always some who can do those things better so you don't find yourself using him much.

Actually, Sazh had his fans since hes a well rounded character. I thought orignally that he was just going to be a lame comedy character but he has some surprisingly good development.

Looks like Lighting + Fang + Sazh will be my party. That covers all the jobs I need. With Fang as Leader because her summon is  amazing.

Fang doesn't start with blaster which sucks. Having a blaster blaster blaster team is great.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 02:12:50 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 02:23:48 PM »

Well, I finally found a good video of Hope fighting, and *sigh* guess I'll be getting this one folks.  Can't resist that giant mecha summon.
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 02:26:38 PM »

Yeah, Hope has arguably the most epic summon.

And I don't mean to suggest that Sazh is useless. He works well in a group of rounded characters. I've found Sazh + Lightning + Hope works well. His summon is also killer sweet.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 02:53:45 PM »

This game sounds gold to me. I'm getting a bit irritated that games try to make themselves 60-70 hours when I don't have that kind of time. But yeah, I will be picking up the PS3 version, since it's why I bought the damn thing in the first place.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 03:05:43 PM »

The PS3 version will not have uncompressed video, and likely won't have uncompressed audio either.  Anyone who thinks it will doesn't understand the technology behind it.  I don't care what this news story says.  Uncompressed full RGB 1080p video at 24 frames per second will take over 11 GB of space for 60 seconds of video.  You would fill up a dual-layer Blu-Ray disc with less than 5 minutes of pre-rendered footage.

It will have less compression and thus will have higher quality, but no compression at all?  Don't make me laugh.

Parn is exactly right!

No publicly marketed digital video format has ever not had compression. Hell, DVDs use MPEG2 compression with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling (basically, for every 2 pixels, they share 1 color attribute). The standard for BluRay is MPEG4 / H.264, which still usually uses 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. Now, seeing that video games are data discs, they can be anything they want to be. But the requirements for uncompressed audio/video are so high that there's absolutely no way that will ever happen. Most videogame videos these days are in H.264 I believe, with AAC (MP4 subset) compressed audio. I guarantee there will be 4:2:0 subsampling (not that most people would even be able to tell the difference). Whatever compression amount they choose is up to them, but most likely, both versions of FFXIII will use the same compression format, but maybe at slightly different quality levels.

The only digital media that has ever been released without compression is the audio CD (RedBook audio), which used uncompressed audio at 44100Hz. But I did the calculation once, and found that CD audio is actually a few hundred orders of magnitude smaller than video. Standard Definition (720x480) video at 16-bits is 166 Million bits per second. Standard audio is 705,600bps. So, it's easy to see that while uncompressed audio isn't particularly large, it would be impossible to achieve uncompressed video. Most computers and harddrives don't even know how to deal with that amount of information transfer.

Basically, don't expect uncompressed video out any time soon. I would expect never, because there are is hardly any reason for it. Over half the population can't even tell the difference between HD and SD in most situations, the difference between chroma subsamplings and mpeg bitmap compressions is practically indistinguishable by the human eye, and even less so when interpreted by the brain. Most video is far about the human capacity to see inconsistencies anyways. More often than not, poor rendering, bad lighting, and low quality television sets are the cause of most people's video woes.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 03:10:52 PM »

I'm going to get the 360 version of this. I've already preordered it that way, and don't know if I'll get a PS3 anytime soon. I remember some reports saying that the lighting effects were better on the 360 version (surprise surprise) and had better anti-aliasing. Those things are a make or break for me. I actually prefer multiple discs too, for longer games. It lets me mentally break up the game into chunks. The only reason I've seen to get the PS3 version is, "I bought my PS3 for this game", which doesn't apply to me.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »

I would like to amend Prime Mover's statement:  It's not just that there is no reason to do uncompressed video (and there isn't), but even if you wanted to do it I don't think it is technically feasible.  While the massive storage requirements may seem like the most obvious drawback, they are not the largest drawback.  You start to run into issues just moving that quantity of data around.  I do not think the PS3's blu-ray drive is capable of reading uncompressed 1080p video off of the disc fast enough to play it in real time.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 03:47:41 PM »

I remember some reports saying that the lighting effects were better on the 360 version (surprise surprise) and had better anti-aliasing.

What reports were these, if you don't mind my asking?  I have not seen anything to that effect that wasn't pure speculation.  I do remember an article on some website a while back (can't remember where, though...) that was what they thought the differences might be which is along the lines of what you're saying, but they hadn't even seen the game on a 360 at all.  It was really just guesswork.

I think we should reserve judgement on this issue until there are some actual facts to go on.

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 05:39:06 PM »

I think we should just play the game and enjoy it instead of going ass-deep into what manner of quality every pixel on the screen is.

On the 360 though, because the PS3 version is for queers.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 06:11:02 PM »

-I sorta like the idea of upgrading a weapon instead of buying a new one in every town (which there aren't a lot of).  Granted it IS a video game, but I always thought it was stupid that each town progressively had better armor/weapons. Other than for progressing reasons, it makes no sense.  Generally in most games you are buying all the upgrades anyway every time you can, so instead of doing that, make upgrades more meaningful and rare and then they'll be truly appreciated. That's one aspect I enjoyed of the Digital Devil Saga series and it's an aspect I'll enjoy in FFXIII.  BUT, they better include awesome end game weapons (I'd be surprised if they didn't) that take time and work to acquire.

I guess I should be clearer.  I do agree that new towns suddenly having better weapons is pretty stupid, I mean more that weapons should change.  It's really a silly thing but I just enjoy having a new looking weapon.  I guess it's more the novelty factor than anything but I feel like as a weapon gets stronger it should look stronger.  For instance, I like FF8's weapon system, where you can't just go and buy a weapon you actually have to acquire the items necessary to make it.

I'm curious as to how exactly it is challenging.  I like longer battles that require thinking and strategy as I really hate grinding for levels and just prefer exploiting weaknesses or playing around with different statuses.  Chain break system seems like good fun.  Guh....I wish I wasn't so poor so I could afford an xbox.

Well, iirc there's no real "levels" to grind for, so good news there.  At least this way the developer can control difficulty without making people have to be X level.

I agree about the weapon part.  It's most definitely a novelty factor for me, but new/interesting weapons are always a plus.  

I think we should just play the game and enjoy it instead of going ass-deep into what manner of quality every pixel on the screen is.

Pretty much how I feel (or am trying to).  Right now, I'm not buying into any "X console will run it better than Y console," until a real source states it.  While I don't pay much attention to gaming sites; unless Famitsu, RPGFan, or Kotaku states that "X console is going to run it better for Y reasons," I'm not buying into the argument.

The Crystalum system is very similar to the sphere grid. Early on characters will have very specific roles to the point where magic users like Hope and Vanille literally cannot use regular attacks. Later on all six roles open up for everyone and there will be significant overlap.

Hopefully you can specialize certain characters deeper and deeper into classes and keep evolving said class.  I love the class system and don't want my whole party to be able to use Thundaga/Comet/etc effectively.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: