Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 05:25:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327135 Posts in 13390 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Official Final Fantasy XIII Japanese Release Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: The Official Final Fantasy XIII Japanese Release Topic  (Read 24349 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2009, 07:35:29 PM »

Pretty much how I feel (or am trying to).  Right now, I'm not buying into any "X console will run it better than Y console," until a real source states it.  While I don't pay much attention to gaming sites; unless Famitsu, RPGFan, or Kotaku states that "X console is going to run it better for Y reasons," I'm not buying into the argument.

Only those sources? Seriously? When others are much more serious about spotting differences and normally provide screenshots and movies to prove it? Well, I suppose it doesn't matter anyway unless you can easily spot the difference (as the case is for Saboteur's special PS3 anti aliasing), and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see that here. Anyways the story that sparked this was taken from an interview in Famitsu, so take that as you will.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »

Pretty much how I feel (or am trying to).  Right now, I'm not buying into any "X console will run it better than Y console," until a real source states it.  While I don't pay much attention to gaming sites; unless Famitsu, RPGFan, or Kotaku states that "X console is going to run it better for Y reasons," I'm not buying into the argument.

Only those sources? Seriously? When others are much more serious about spotting differences and normally provide screenshots and movies to prove it? Well, I suppose it doesn't matter anyway unless you can easily spot the difference (as the case is for Saboteur's special PS3 anti aliasing), and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see that here. Anyways the story that sparked this was taken from an interview in Famitsu, so take that as you will.

Well, those are the only gaming sites I generally take a look at.  If a site like Kotaku or RPGFan (doubtful) would post a link to one of the type of sites you mentioned, I would more than gladly take a look at it.  I just don't want to read something by a rabid fanboy like how someone posted a link in the past that touted how the game was going to be watered down because it was being released on the 360.  The site?  Something like PS3fan/PS3fanboy/PS3central or something.  Things like that are the things I'm not wasting my time with. 

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 10:51:32 AM »

I remember some reports saying that the lighting effects were better on the 360 version (surprise surprise) and had better anti-aliasing.

Source?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 12:41:57 PM »

I remember some reports saying that the lighting effects were better on the 360 version (surprise surprise) and had better anti-aliasing.

Source?

@ Prime, I haven't read anything like that. The only Xbox 360 footage that we know of is the one from E3 2009.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 02:28:16 PM »

Source?

@ Prime, I haven't read anything like that. The only Xbox 360 footage that we know of is the one from E3 2009.

That's why I'm asking for the source. That would be some very privileged info at this point in time.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 02:37:42 PM »

*waiting for Parn to come in and say PM made up his facts again*
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2010, 03:15:26 PM »

I think I'm thinking of that site where they went through the PS3 version meticulously, and came to the conclusions of what the 360 would naturally be able to do better. No, they didn't have the 360 version. I'm not sure the link, but most will remember that posting. But I remember them mentioning that the 360 would likely have better framerate, lighting, and antialiasing at the expense of texture and poly count. I thought they had some stills or something, to compare between... but I could be wrong.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2010, 03:27:10 PM »

I think I'm thinking of that site where they went through the PS3 version meticulously, and came to the conclusions of what the 360 would naturally be able to do better. No, they didn't have the 360 version. I'm not sure the link, but most will remember that posting. But I remember them mentioning that the 360 would likely have better framerate, lighting, and antialiasing at the expense of texture and poly count. I thought they had some stills or something, to compare between... but I could be wrong.

Oh yes, I remember that...it's exactly what I thought you were talking about.  Unfortunately I don't have the link either, but whatever.  It was, as I said, 100% speculation.  They were doing a 'comparison' based on nothing.

The 360 version has yet to be shown to anyone outside of S-E except under very controlled circumstances (and not even that much was true when the article was written because it was a while ago...).  The only official statement that has been made is the bit about the compression...that's it.  I think it's a little early to be declaring a superior version...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2010, 03:33:43 PM »

Yeah, that sounds like bullshit. I wouldn't trust it until I actually saw the game out, plus there've been cases of PS3 games getting AA that Xbox games didn't, GTAIV and especially Saboteur off the top of my head.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2010, 03:40:50 PM »

Yeah, you're all probably right. And yes, we're all having to base all of this on lots of speculation. For me, it basically falls to these things for me:

1. I don't have a PS3
2. Generally, the 360 tends to do slightly better with multiplatform titles
3. Generally, the 360 tends to have better lighting and AA.

Is that enough to make a sweeping conclusion about FF13? No. Is it enough to persuade me NOT to buy a PS3 for this title? Absolutely. Is it enough for me to be able to draw my own educated guesses? Yes, I think so.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2010, 03:42:05 PM »

I posted that link. It's digital foundry. Though they are the best at this kind of thing they were only looking at the PS3 demo and SPECULATING based on the differences we usually see in multi-plat games. There was no 360 footage whatsoever.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2010, 03:52:20 PM »

Yes, we're all aware of that now. But I wi be very interested in checking them out when they finally do have a comparison between the two. The last article was one of the most interesting articles I've read on games this year.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2010, 03:54:03 PM »

Yeah, you're all probably right. And yes, we're all having to base all of this on lots of speculation. For me, it basically falls to these things for me:

1. I don't have a PS3
2. Generally, the 360 tends to do slightly better with multiplatform titles
3. Generally, the 360 tends to have better lighting and AA.

Is that enough to make a sweeping conclusion about FF13? No. Is it enough to persuade me NOT to buy a PS3 for this title? Absolutely. Is it enough for me to be able to draw my own educated guesses? Yes, I think so.

Though you are right about the AA the lighting isn't a good example. Effects that take up a lot of bandwidth (particle effects, reflections) are usually the worst offenders. It's funny though, the best console graphics of 2009 debate is reduced to uncharted 2 vs killzone 2. They are in a league of their own, nothing comes close. And if you look at the gen as a whole, the games that really raised the bar were almost always ps3 games (uncharted, MGS4, wipeout HD, killzone 2, uncharted 2) with god of war 3 (word is it blows uncharted 2 out of the water), heavy rain and gran turismo 5 set to do the same in the near future.
I guess third party developers just don't have the same budgets and time (or talent in some cases).

Anyway, there's no doubt that FFXIII is one of the best looking games this gen and I'm convinced that this will be a case of near parity. If I owned both machines I'd definitely go for the PS3 version because it's on a single disc.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »

The intended console can be one of the largest determining factors too. Just look at Bayonetta and Lost Planet, they're so much better on 360 because they were developed for that first and foremost, and similarly Symphony of the Night was worse on the Saturn despite being the 2D powerhouse.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:43:38 AM by Eusis » Logged
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2010, 12:33:47 PM »

At this stage of the game isn't it kind of silly to argue which system will run it better?  I'm sure both will look absolutely gorgeous.  Heck at this point it is less the console and more the actual setup that you have that will determine that.  I personally don't have an HDTV setup so none of that means anything to me.  But I've seen it and think that it is rather silly to get all hot over whether or not the xbox or ps3 will look better when I look at games on both on a good TV and they both look beautiful.  The only thing that would bother me is if the game actually can't run well on one, lot's of slowdown/glitches, that sort of thing.  To me the graphics argument stopped mattering once the ps2/xbox/gamecube came out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: