Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 02:37:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327314 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Your Top 10 RPGs of the last decade?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Your Top 10 RPGs of the last decade?  (Read 7817 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 07:42:55 PM »

Of course it is.  I never said it wasn't, or that they should do it any differently.  I'm just saying I think it's weird to see that many games from the same series as the "best games" from over ten years.  It's like the Zelda example I just said.  Sure, maybe you REALLY like Zelda, and they're your favorite games, but it'd still be weird to see just a list of ten when ALL Nintendo games are being considered, you know?
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 07:56:33 PM »

Since Tooker reminded me of the potential RPGFan feature about this, I retracted my own list.  However, I will post one title that was one of my top games of the decade but cannot be part of the RPGFan feature for obvious reasons.  That game is Crescendo. 

Code:
Most eroge out there is garbage.  Crescendo falls into that small percentage of eroge that is fantastic.  The game is beautiful, has some truly intense storylines with memorable characters, some of the most beautiful descriptions of lovemaking I've ever read, and many endings aren't even H endings yet are still satisfying and offer closure.  This is a game that could make many people rethink eroge.

Hourglass of Summer may be my all time favorite love adventure, but Crescendo is a close 2nd. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2010, 09:33:17 PM »

However, I will post one title that was one of my top games of the decade but cannot be part of the RPGFan feature for obvious reasons.  That game is Crescendo. 

Grr, saw enough positive opinions on this that I went ahead and bit the bullet on this one.  I figure the few visual novels I've played/read in the past were pretty decent so it's worth a shot.  As I've mentioned before they depend on the quality of the writing to live or die so I'm intrigued enough despite the lolhentai scenes.  It's kind of a shame there isn't more of a game to go with said writing; if it did, the genre would have more appeal.  Visual novels in an age of rampant aliteracy are kind of like swimming upstream in a river.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 10:27:14 PM »

Does anyone else find it weird when people fill up more than half of a "top ten games" list with games from the same series?  Given that this is supposed to be the Top Ten games for ten whole years, the fact that people are listing 3+ SMT titles is kind of off-putting.  I mean, I like them as much as the next guy, but I feel like there should be some variety in a list like this.

I'm just giving an honest answer.

As am I. Nocturne and DDS both trumped most RPGs released this decade.

I consider Nocturne the best RPG ever made, even.

Why should you have to defend what your choices are?
Don't even bother.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 01:11:42 AM »

Of course it is.  I never said it wasn't, or that they should do it any differently.  I'm just saying I think it's weird to see that many games from the same series as the "best games" from over ten years.  It's like the Zelda example I just said.  Sure, maybe you REALLY like Zelda, and they're your favorite games, but it'd still be weird to see just a list of ten when ALL Nintendo games are being considered, you know?

Most of these choices are dependent on what that person has played. I myself might have listed TotA instead of ToS if I had played it, or maybe I could've included a Suikoden title in there instead. But again its about playing it.

Also, the fact that the series has been spamming releases and remakes over the last four years. Just look at Persona 3. That game isn't even four years old yet, but has seen as many remakes as a pre-VII FF title has.

The tl;dr is that the current PERSONA SPAAAMMM!!! may have something to do with it.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 09:01:24 AM »

It's kind of a shame there isn't more of a game to go with said writing; if it did, the genre would have more appeal.  Visual novels in an age of rampant aliteracy are kind of like swimming upstream in a river.

That's why I liked Fading Hearts as much as I did last year.  It had a variety of gameplay elements (including RPG style battles) so it wasn't just a straight visual novel.  It was kinda like Persona 3 without dungeon crawling. 

Hope you like Crescendo, dude. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Sir_Dekar

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 08:55:40 AM »

My list:

- Fire Emblem 6
- Final Fantasy X
- Diablo 2
- Radiata Stories
- Golden Sun
- Shadow Hearts Covenant
- Grandia 2
- Tales of the Abyss
- Suikoden III
- Fire Emblem 7
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 09:25:09 AM »

Hmmm...no order:

Skies of Arcadia
Dark Cloud 2
FF XII
Mass Effect
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Symphonia
FFX
DQVIII
Twilight Princess
Okami

I'm sure I'm missing something
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 09:28:15 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Der Jermeister

Don't Mess with Him

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 04:05:21 PM »

Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
Tales of the Abyss
Digital Devil Saga I + II
Star Ocean: First Departure
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
Suikoden V
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy IV DS
Persona 3 + 4

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »

Tales of the Abyss
Suikoden V
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy IV DS
Persona 3 + 4

... of all the Kingdom Hearts games you pick 358/2 Days.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 07:03:02 PM »

Tales of the Abyss
Suikoden V
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy IV DS
Persona 3 + 4

... of all the Kingdom Hearts games you pick 358/2 Days.

What he said.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: