Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 06:26:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335293 Posts in 13728 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Blacks not looking right on TV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Blacks not looking right on TV  (Read 4790 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2010, 03:47:16 PM »

Hey, I've got a question for all of you with HDTVs. The last two TVs I've had (a 19" Samsung, and a 23" Sylvania) have not displayed blacks quite right. The moment a pixel turns black, it looks a bit brighter. So black areas in games have this weird inverted look to them. Now, I use component video because I have a splitter from my Wii/360/PS2. I really haven't noticed this much on the PS2 or Wii, but on the 360, especially on games like Assassin's Creed II, it's pretty noticeable. I've also noticed this at work on some LCDs (which are all taking composite because they're silly). Is this something in the nature of analog video, and would be rectified by using HDMI? Or is this a problem with LCD TVs or just *MY* TV?

And for all of you thinking that this post was going to be some racial comment:
"African Americans just don't look right on my TV, none, neither!" (in southern redneck voice)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 03:49:34 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 05:00:19 PM »

You'd need to post specs of your TV or at least model numbers, as well as what your video settings are for your 360.

Some people have their console's reference levels set to intermediate or expanded, which usually results in black crush since most TVs do not support full RBG (0-255).  A similar problem occurs for people who set their RGB to full on PS3.  While people claim it makes their games look more colorful, they should be adjusting their TVs color setting instead.  The RGB setting should be set to limited on the PS3, and the reference levels should be set to standard for the 360 (16-235).

Dynamic contrast can also jack with your display, which is a "feature" in some people's HDTVs.  I use quotes because I consider most of the post-processing effects to be junk and pretty much am a huge fan of viewing the natural picture (i.e. sharpness to 0, warm 2 setting, no noise reduction, etc.).
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 09:55:56 PM »

Parn hit a lot of that right on the money.  Keep Sharpness down, turn off any 120hz/240hz feature.  I disagree with the warm2 setting.  I know the "correct" one is warm2 according to NTSC standards, but I dislike the overall warmness of it.  Cool all the way for me.. but it's a preference really.

As for your question - It's LCDs in general.  LCDs (with a few exceptions like some of the really nice LCDs like Samsung's 750 series) suck serious dick when it comes to black levels.  The solution?  Plasma or LED TVs - preferably plasma.  Plasmas kick serious ass when it comes to black levels.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 07:11:37 PM »

I have seen 19 inch TV's at my work look exactly like you're describing, and it seems to be worse among the lesser known brands.  They are all taking composite video as well.  What makes me think, is that I have a 19 inch LG "monitor" that has had glorious blacks.  HDMI video is DVI, like what your computer puts out, but there shouldn't be a difference in quality between component and DVI.  Just look for the contrast ratio information for your TV... that's what this is all about, right?  It varies among LCD's already.

I have a 37 inch LCD that suffers from that a bit in the corners, but it's a larger TV.  It also dims the backlight to make the blacks look deeper... it's bullshit "feature", but it's acceptable.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 09:26:45 PM »

Just look for the contrast ratio information for your TV... that's what this is all about, right?  It varies among LCD's already.

You can pretty much throw this number out the window since it doesn't mean anything. 

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 11:46:43 PM »

I dunno about that sharpness thing..I set mine at about 3 out of 7, and I think its a noticable improvement over 0.  But yeah, really its all about the individual model, and messing with the settings to find what you like.  If you can, find out the model and look it up on google.  Depending on how popular the brand is, you can find forums where people post what they like, and you can kinda go from there.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 07:07:56 PM »

In looking some more, it's happening at the edges of the screen mostly. And then I realized that the "backlight" on the TV is really uneven, with the edges being brighter than the middle. IE: it's my TV.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: