Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 06:57:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327699 Posts in 13416 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  PS3 just got the YLOD...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PS3 just got the YLOD...  (Read 3074 times)
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2009, 08:19:26 PM »

My 40GB PS3 just fell victim to the infamous yellow light of death, with my Demon's Souls disc stuck in there.

Have any of you guys experienced a similar problem before, and could give me some tips on solving this problem? Thanks in advance.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 09:24:22 PM »

You've seen my Youtube video.  You know what to do.

Alternatively there's this if you're out of warranty: http://playstationlifestyle.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2376
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 12:26:03 AM »

From all indications that won't be a permanent fix. If you do perform it then back up your data, get Demon's Souls out, and prepare to get a new PS3. If you don't mind paying the repair fee, see if they'll get your disc back or not.

By the way, the Demon's Souls data is locked to that PS3. The only way to move it to another is via the Data Transfer Utility. At least Demon's Souls has something of a legitimate use for it unlike games like Resident Evil 5 where the developers were just abusing the feature.
ShadowLaguna

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »

You've seen my Youtube video.  You know what to do.

As tempting as that may be, I actually would like to play my PS3 again. :P

Alternatively there's this if you're out of warranty: http://playstationlifestyle.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2376

I'm no good at electronics, so I'd prefer not to reassemble it myself.

So, I had another examine at the PS3, and tried it without the harddrive inside. I sigh in relief, because it isn't a problem with the harddrive (therefore I guess I can keep my 45 hour Valkyria Chronicles file). I still get the yellow light without it. I still haven't gotten Demon's Souls out of the system yet, which is a worry, because Demon's Souls isn't out here yet, and I don't want to lose it if I happen to get Sony to repair the PS3.

I'll probably give Sony a ring in the next few days to find out what they can do about it. I want my PS3 back before FFXIII!!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:43:13 AM by ShadowLaguna » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 02:00:50 AM »

So, I had another examine at the PS3, and tried it without the harddrive inside. I sigh in relief, because it isn't a problem with the harddrive (therefore I guess I can keep my 45 hour Valkyria Chronicles file).

That won't do you any good! Sony had the stupid ass idea to lock hard drives to a system, so the only way to get around it is to back up your data to an external hard drive (not enough for Demon's Souls) or to use the data transfer utility on another PS3 (will work  for Demon's Souls, but it'll overwrite the other PS3's hard drive). Also, Sony requires you to send the PS3 back WITH the hard drive inside of the system.

Of the three Sony is the absolute worst about recovering from system failure. The fact a significant number of saves are locked unlike their 360 counterparts (Super Street Fighter II HD data can be copied/moved on the 360, but not the PS3) is just salt on the wound.
ShadowLaguna

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 07:41:29 PM »

Gave Sony a ring, they helped me get Demon's Souls out of the system (so now it's nice and snug again in it's case), but now they're asking for $315 NZD (i'm sure that's way more than $150 USD!!) in order for them to repair the PS3. I'm trying to find other people which may be able to do it for cheaper, because $315 could buy me three full priced games...Sony over here are a bunch of faggots I tell ya.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 10:28:32 PM »

Actually, that's worldwide.  Welcome to next-gen gaming!

I'm actually waiting for my PS3 to fail on me.  I'm looking forward to taking a sledgehammer to it when it happens.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 10:36:25 PM »

Actually, to go further with the 360 vs PS3 save locking: I wasn't able to just copy over SSFIIHD, Street Fighter IV, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Fat Princess, and Mortal Kombat 2 data, and that's ignoring games that only lock specific files like Valkyria Chronicles's system data file. In contrast I only couldn't copy my Perfect Dark Zero save of my 360 saves.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: