Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 06:48:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334672 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The obligatory Game of the Year 2009 thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: The obligatory Game of the Year 2009 thread  (Read 20440 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »

As all of you may very well know, RPGFan's working on its Game of the Year 2009 feature.  Any speculations for what's going to win?  What would you deem award-worthy of 2009 and why?  Are you like me and are more interested in individual editors' top fives rather than the sitewides?  Will there be another contraversy like the Wii award last year?  

Discuss, rant, rave, etc.  And someone else had better make the popcorn.  I burnt it last time.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:00:20 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 05:01:09 PM »

Undoubtedly, controversy will arise. WHERE, however, is not yet known. :)

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 05:13:06 PM »

I know my RPGOTY doesn't stand a chance in hell of winning, but I'm hoping against hope that it at least make somebody's top 5 list or something.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 05:19:04 PM »

game of the year: my new bass guitar

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 05:19:40 PM »

Remind me Lord Scottish, what was your topper for '09?

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 05:26:15 PM »

This is just rpgs right?
Persona 4

Non-rpg: Uncharted 2

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 05:31:51 PM »

This is just rpgs right?
Persona 4

Unless you count the European release (given where most RPGFan staff are, unlikely) or this is counted as 12/2008 to 11/2009 then I don't think that's eligible for winning.

My favorites this year are Dragon Quest V, Half Minute Hero, and Demon's Souls, and Dragon Age is likely to join them when I put in at least as much time as I did Demon's Souls. I'd probably count one of the MegaTens too if I had put enough time into any of them (well, I did for Persona, but it's not quite as good as those four and it IS a port).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:38:30 PM by Eusis » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 05:37:15 PM »

P4 is definitely ineligible since it's a 2008 game.  It already won a couple of awards in our 2008 GOTY feature: Best RPG: Playstation 2 and Best Traditional RPG: Console.  Made a lot of Editor's top 5's as well.

And if we're talking non-RPGs, for me it's a toss-up between Retro Game Challenge and inFAMOUS.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 05:57:02 PM »

Oh well, I'm in Europe so I was thinking 2009.

OK... demon's soul wasn't released over here so I never played it. DAO didn't really blow me away. I'll have to go with devil survivor. Honorable mention for valkirya chronicles (it's 2009 right?)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:47:05 AM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 06:00:52 PM »

Remind me Lord Scottish, what was your topper for '09?

Rune Factory Frontier.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 06:06:01 PM »

Rune Factory Frontier.

Sounds like a legitimate result to me, I've heard great things about the Rune Factory series, and that the new one is good. Probably not my thing, but then again... NOTHING in 2009 except for retro ports have gotten my attention, RPG wise anyway. As for non-RPGs: AC2 is great, and Brutal Legend was kinda cute.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 07:08:24 PM »

I've heard great things about the Rune Factory series, and that the new one is good. Probably not my thing, but then again...

You know, I wasn't really sure what I'd think about them either, but darn if the first Rune Factory (the WORST of the bunch) wasn't quite a bit of fun.  I think it's a game more geared towards obsessive compulsive people.  And whoamg the nonlinearity.  If only all JRPGs could be that way.  Anyway, taking a look at the list, I'm going to have to go with Phantasy Star 0 of the ones I've played.  I'd be VERY surprised if Dragon Age didn't win though.  Most of the other games are generic at best and though I haven't touched Dragon Age yet (with the emphasis on yet), it's clearly on a higher technical level than the other RPGs last year.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 07:42:37 PM »

Probably Demon's Souls, although I thought a lot of the RPG's released this year were great.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 07:47:06 PM »

Oh yeah i love all the rune factory series, since ive been a fan of harvest moon from before,  a harvest moon with rpg elements is like a dream come true, the RF frontier was great, i loved the music, and the town was really well made, voices, characters, the only downside was the story, also i loved the fact that when the camera gets close to a white dot of snow, you can see how it actually looks like from close (like these figures http://z.about.com/d/chemistry/1/0/h/P/snow2.jpg).
Definetly this is the best rpg for the wii, for me at least. On a side note, this has been the best rune factory so far, i played the rune factory 3 (who knows when is going to be released in english), is great and lots of stuff to do, fairly superior from others, though the story seems short as well, there is like 10 girls to choose from and each one of them with like 10 personal nice side quests, so it can become quite long.

Demon souls may be there, if not the best of all, obviously the best of ps3 (there arent that many to choose from anyway)

DS ummm, i say Avalon code (great game)
PSP... i liked adventures to go but it doesnt seems to be very liked in the net, maybe FFdissidia (though it wasnt all great for me)
Ps2... mana khemia 2? i havent played devil summoner 2 though

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 07:57:37 PM »

Surprise winner: Crimson Gem Saga

Like others, my guess goes with Demon's Souls, though I was not as fond of it as others. Personally I would vote Devil Survivor because it was the most fun I had with an RPG that came out in '09. That and I also didn't really play many of the '09 RPGs anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: