Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 04:08:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330207 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The obligatory Game of the Year 2009 thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: The obligatory Game of the Year 2009 thread  (Read 20114 times)
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 08:47:21 PM »

My speculation is that Demon's Souls, or Dragon Age: Origins will be chosen for 2009, though I am more interested in individual picks, since those are pretty diverse amongst all the editors. The editors have pretty diverse taste (At least, I'd like to think so). Plus I like reading the little blurbs that you guys say about each game.

My own personal pick for 2009 however, is Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Like I said before, it's one of my favorite games of this generation. Aside from that though, there were a lot of other RPGs I enjoyed this year, like Devil Survivor, and Magna Carta 2. EDIT: Oh, I forgot Persona PSP.

If you guys are talking non-RPGs also, I haven't really played a lot this year. The only ones I can remember off the top of my head are Metroid Prime Trilogy, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, and Pangya PSP. Any other non-RPG I got was probably released awhile ago already. EDIT: I forgot Silent Hill Shattered memories. That game was all sorts of awesome.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:08:59 PM by Dizzy » Logged

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 08:53:43 PM »

Eh... don't count Metroid Prime Trilogy. I don't really like ports/compilations being included in GOTY entries. Yes, we know they're great games (in the case of MP1, un-fucking-believable games), that's why they made a compilation. We don't need them clogging up selections for actual contemporary games. That's why I'm not including Dragon Quest V in my GOTY list either.

Plus, if we're reaching into the adventure game category, I would say Assassin's Creed 2 is too obvious to ignore. Also, from what I've heard (though I don't have a PS3) Uncharted 2 looks amazing.

I'm probably not going to even bother checking this year. Everyone's just going to go ahead an post Dragon Age: Origins. And everyone knows how much I loved that game. *groan*

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 08:57:38 PM »

Eh... don't count Metroid Prime Trilogy. I don't really like ports/compilations being included in GOTY entries.
Yeah, I didn't know whether I should have typed that in or not, for the same reason you mentioned.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 08:59:21 PM »

Dragon Quest V is a bit different though. It's a remake, but more importantly it never came out in the US until now, not even DQIV has that distinction. Besides, a lot of RPGs we get are from the year before or so, you'd technically have next to nothing to vote most of the time. This year's different in that just about every game worth considering DID come out this year on both shores, but something like FFXIII wouldn't be allowed to run for next year's award.

Anyways, as far as the thread itself goes we're just mentioning games we liked this year, so it's not like it has to be taken too seriously.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:04:49 PM by Eusis » Logged
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 09:07:48 PM »

2009 has definitely been a year for remakes and ports.  Some may have been superfluous, others less so.  I think something like the DQ5 one was valid since that game had never been released in the US prior.  I think the Persona PSP remake is valid since the original US release had a hacked up localization and half the game dummied out.  So I feel like this time, I got butter instead of margarine.  And normally, I'm meh on ports/remakes and more interested in new stuff.  But something like DQ5 or Persona's Snow Queen Quest are certainly new to me.

Of course, it is sad that some of the better releases (in multiple genres) were ports or remakes of older games.  Some of the better graphic adventures released in 2009 were remakes of classics.  Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars- The Director's Cut had some nice Dave Gibbons artwork, added some Nico scenarios, and is my all time favorite in the genre; and there was the Monkey Island redux.  But still when two of the better offerings of the genre this year were Broken Sword and Monkey Island... yeah.  

I think 2009's also been the year of the throwback RPG, what with offerings like Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled, Crimson Gem Saga, Nostalgia, FF4: The After Years, and a massive influx of commercial RPGM titles feeding the retro-trend.  I guess Retro Game Challenge could count in this trend as well, even though it was only 1/8 RPG.  EDIT: I think that's why so many people liked Half-Minute Hero.  It took throwback conventions and satirized them in unheard of ways making for a unique experience. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:19:10 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 09:09:22 PM »

Oh yeah Dragon quest 5 was just great as well.. uh between it and avalon code.... darn difficult choice D:

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 09:16:04 PM »

2009 has definitely been a year for remakes and ports.  Some may have been superfluous, others less so.  I think something like the DQ5 one was valid since that game had never been released in the US prior.  I think the Persona PSP remake is valid since the original US release had a hacked up localization and half the game dummied out.  So I feel like this time, I got butter instead of margarine.  And normally, I'm meh on ports/remakes and more interested in new stuff.  But something like DQ5 or Persona's Snow Queen Quest are certainly new to me.
Oh wow, I definitely forgot about Persona PSP. And I agree to the validity. The new localization is infinitely better, plus the soundtrack was a lot more refreshing to hear this time around. At least for me it was. As much as I liked it, pounding in 80 hours to the original, with its old soundtrack eventually got on my nerves.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »

2009 has definitely been a year for remakes and ports.

I dunno, it's more of a remake/port heavy period, although 2008 was one of the stronger ones there. Just look at RPGFan's awards last year, there was a TIE between Dragon Quest IV, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy IV for best traditional RPG, and outside of that we had Bionic Commando: Rearmed and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix on XBL/PSN. Heck, near the start of next year we're getting Lunar: Silver Star Harmony and Pokemon HeartGold/SilverSoul.

Anyways, Persona's definitely a borderline case to me. It's not fully remade like, say, Dragon Quest was, but then it's not a mostly straight port like Chrono Trigger either, and the re-localization was much more significant than it was for CT too.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:29:08 PM by Eusis » Logged
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 10:15:27 PM »

After having played both, I'd say that Persona PSP is a far better remake than DQ4 DS simply because with Persona, all of the changes were for the better IMO whereas with DQ4, it was a mixed bag (graphics were nice, but the accents made things hard to read and the difficulty was lowered far too much). With Persona, the game is sped up substantially (load times are down from like 8 seconds everytime you switch rooms or enter a battle in the PS1 version to like 1-2 seconds on the PSN version I'm playing), the music is drastically better (seriously, the original game's battle music is one of the all time worst RPG songs ever & you hear it all the time), the localization is night & day, and you get all the extra content that was cut out of the original game. And even if the main graphics aren't improved, between the interface graphic overhaul and gorgeous new cutscenes, I didn't mind that much.

Anyway, for best RPG of the year, I've gotta go with Half-Minute Hero - Innovative, fun, funny, and has a lot more replay value than your average RPG. Runner-ups would be the Persona remake & Devil Survivor. I'd probably put Demon's Souls on the list as well since I loved the King's Field games back in the day, but I sadly don't own a PS3.

EDIT: Persona (PSX) is not playable by today's standards. Persona (PSP) is. That alone makes it a worthwhile remake in my book.

EDIT: Forgot about FF4: After Years. Grindy old school fun. Torchlight was also rather good as far as hack & slash RPGs go, although I have to say, I still prefer Titan Quest. And I've heard really good things about Monster Hunter Freedom Unite as far as Action/RPGs go, although I haven't actually played it myself (tales of people spending hundreds of hours on it intimidate me).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:19:55 PM by Robert Boyd » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 10:21:19 PM »

I wouldn't vote Half Minute Hero as my favorite RPG of the year, but favorite PSP game? Well, that's kind of an easy win since the only serious competition is Persona and arguably Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (though with some of the games classified as RPGs this is really one of the least controversial examples), so I'd have to say it was also my favorite handheld RPG period.

Anyways, while I kind of expect Dragon Age to win I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Demon's Souls failed to win. John seemed to consider it more an interesting game than something he'd actually like, and I wouldn't be surprised if much of the staff didn't care about it. Dragon Age has been played by most everyone here I figure, and I can't imagine any other game hitting everyone the same way.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 11:01:06 PM »

At least Wii has Muramasa if nothing else. So no cop-outs for the Wii this year.

Eh... don't count Metroid Prime Trilogy. I don't really like ports/compilations being included in GOTY entries. Yes, we know they're great games (in the case of MP1, un-fucking-believable games), that's why they made a compilation. We don't need them clogging up selections for actual contemporary games. That's why I'm not including Dragon Quest V in my GOTY list either.

To be fair, two of those games received brand new control schemes that really change the way that both games were played.

Besides if you don't count remakes this year how would you be able to count Sakura Wars V next year?

Code:
Also I'm calling it now. The new Lufia game = 2010 Game of the Year!

Also also I'm placing Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos as my vote for PSP game of the year! Gently Caress all the haters!

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 11:53:23 PM »

Anyways, while I kind of expect Dragon Age to win I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Demon's Souls failed to win. John seemed to consider it more an interesting game than something he'd actually like, and I wouldn't be surprised if much of the staff didn't care about it. Dragon Age has been played by most everyone here I figure, and I can't imagine any other game hitting everyone the same way.

That would be a pity, because as much as I love Bioware, something isn't right about Dragon Age.  It may just be that it is too long, or that I care about the sum of its parts more than the drawn out stepping stones each quest is, but Mass Effect destroys Dragon Age in my mind.  John is obviously stoked for ME2... maybe he was as let down by Dragon Age as I was.

Besides that, I can't believe Demon's Souls is on the radar.  I couldn't be happier, and I spend most of my gaming time playing Demon's Souls.  Go Demon's Souls.

Uncharted 2 was pretty great, but I think Prince of Persia ruined western games... why all the climbing?  Assassin's Creed 2, also... wtf? 

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 12:02:41 AM »

It could go to either Demon's Souls, Dragon Age: Origins, or Muramasa.

Muramasa is good right?

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 12:04:42 AM »

My vote goes Devil Survivor or Nights In The Knightmare. My vote couldn't go anywhere else because I don't own a next-gen console and the only RPGs I've played this year have been DS games, and older PS2 games.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 02:24:06 AM »

At least Wii has Muramasa if nothing else. So no cop-outs for the Wii this year.

It also has Rune Factory.  And if Demon's Souls and Muramasa count as RPG's, then so does Little King's Story, which was amazing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: