Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 03:29:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338749 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The obligatory Game of the Year 2009 thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Print
Author Topic: The obligatory Game of the Year 2009 thread  (Read 20778 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2010, 08:02:29 AM »

It's very possible that the groups I've been hearing are the vocal minority that hated Dragon Age, but I've seen it posted enough times that it certainly didn't feel like a minority to me.
Ever hear of the term "Hasty Generalization"?

Sure have.  Don't see how it applies here though.  I certainly didn't make one, given that I made a logical deduction from the information I've been presented over several weeks.

When all you see is negative review, it's kind of hard to say "Well I bet most people liked it!".
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2010, 08:06:53 AM »

And remember kids, it's very easy to lie with statistics. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2010, 08:08:57 AM »

And remember kids, it's very easy to lie with statistics. 

13% of all people know that.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2010, 08:33:36 AM »

Sure have.  Don't see how it applies here though.  I certainly didn't make one, given that I made a logical deduction from the information I've been presented over several weeks.
How is going from "Some people I know hated the game!" to "The game is not well received by normal gamers" any sort of a logical deduction? That's like if I said "I see a lot of people dislike Baroque, therefore everyone dislikes Baroque." You offer no proof, only some anecdotal statements attempting to apply attributes of a few select individuals to an entire population.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2010, 08:52:57 AM »

And here we get to the root of the problem; you didn't read what I said, and just assumed I said something stupid.  This is what I said, verbatim:

It's so weird to see so many regular players commenting about how boring and terrible Dragon Age is and then to see it at the top of so many editor's lists.

I see no absoultes in that statement.  I said that I've SEEN a lot of people commenting that they thought the game was boring.  Which is true, I have.  I fail to see how this translates to "EVERYBODY HATES DRAGON AGE EXCEPT YOU GUYS LOLOLOL".

Stop putting words in my mouth, thanks.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2010, 10:44:08 AM »

I visit a good amount of gaming sites and have not seem this "ordinary gamers" disliking DA thing going on. Sure, there are grumbles here and there, but the majority seem pretty pleased from my own observations.
Gen, in case you haven't noticed, you seem to have a different taste in games than the "average" gamer. You always seem to be the one defending some game/genre that others don't find quite as appealing as you do. I would imagine that you would gravitate toward others(read: sites) that may have similar tastes. This could explain what you are SEEing in contrast to what others are SEEing.

Anyway...
I realize that Rpgfan covers both domestic and international releases, but a game should only be included in the awards if a least half(or some other arbitrary #) of the staff has played it.
Honestly, I would prefer awards that only included domestic releases, but realize this may not be realistic.
Reagrdless, I always enjoy reading them, and make mental notes to make sujre I play things I missed (like Suikoden Teirkris(sp?))

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2010, 12:20:35 PM »

Grim - deciding which games to include in our awards is always a tough call.  This is especially true for platforms which not all of us have.  Given the time constraints of this being a volunteer job, though, we've had to accept that we're going to have to trust each other in areas where we don't specialize.

Fortunately, I think we've got a great staff, and I totally trust any of them.  :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Rudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2010, 12:37:25 PM »

Honestly, I would prefer awards that only included domestic releases, but realize this may not be realistic.

Did we include a non-domestic game in our Awards?  Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that all of our winners were released in 2009 in North America.  Unless you're talking about the individual editors top 5?
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2010, 12:38:17 PM »

Which would be in that case, I broke the streak being the non-import reviewer to do so. ;)

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2010, 02:57:42 PM »

Did we include a non-domestic game in our Awards?  Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that all of our winners were released in 2009 in North America.  Unless you're talking about the individual editors top 5?
Yes, the Editor top 5's are what I am referring to. References to FFXIII, ToV PS3 edition, etc. should not be part of it. Unless you want to call them the International RPGFan awards.
I realize the importance of import reviewers, and appreciate their input, but still think games only released in Japan should not be included. Just my opinion.
Like I said, my request is unrealistic.
I tend to use end of year awards as a way to remind myself of games that I missed and should have played.
edit: I forgot my other nitpick. Sorry James, but it's with you again. Fallout 3 came out last year. I realize they re-package it, add in the dlc and call it the GOTY edition, but it's still the same game. It should not be included in 2009 awards. Once again, just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:20:07 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2010, 04:06:49 PM »

I see no issue with Editors' top-fives having non-US releases on there.  The Editors' top 5 lists are individual perogative and have no bearing on the sitewide awards as a whole.  Just a "here's what we as individuals liked best."  With the sitewide awards, yes those favor domestic releases since that's what most of us played.  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 07:29:50 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2010, 04:19:27 PM »

Yeah, seconding Neal. If anything putting in such a level of unnecessary control would only make the importer lists blander, I'd save the criticism for if they actually got awards in favor of other titles.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2010, 09:55:41 PM »

Trust me. I really don't have a problem with it. I like the editor lists as much as anyone. I just think import stuff should have it's own category or "list"
I'm comparing to other sites awards, as well as movie awards and such. Import, or "foreign", stuff is pretty much always given it's own category.
No big deal. Time to move on...

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2010, 12:31:37 AM »

I see no issue with Editors' top-fives having non-US releases on there.  The Editors' top 5 lists are individual perogative and have no bearing on the sitewide awards as a whole.  Just a "here's what we as individuals liked best."  With the sitewide awards, yes those favor domestic releases since that's what most of us played.  

^ Pretty much what I was going to post, that in personal editor lists I don't see the big deal. If imports/re-packages were in the overall/category stuff then I'd understand the complaints.. but I don't think so. I say this because I used to import and would have them in my editor picks in previous years.

One year, I'll get to submit a list again :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2010, 04:47:29 AM »

Did we include a non-domestic game in our Awards?  Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that all of our winners were released in 2009 in North America.  Unless you're talking about the individual editors top 5?
Yes, the Editor top 5's are what I am referring to. References to FFXIII, ToV PS3 edition, etc. should not be part of it. Unless you want to call them the International RPGFan awards.
I realize the importance of import reviewers, and appreciate their input, but still think games only released in Japan should not be included. Just my opinion.
Like I said, my request is unrealistic.
I tend to use end of year awards as a way to remind myself of games that I missed and should have played.
edit: I forgot my other nitpick. Sorry James, but it's with you again. Fallout 3 came out last year. I realize they re-package it, add in the dlc and call it the GOTY edition, but it's still the same game. It should not be included in 2009 awards. Once again, just my opinion.

This reminds me of last year's winner on the Wii which was decided by (among other things) the fact that FE:RD only came out in America during the course of the year while the JP and PAL regions had it the year prior.

Which is silly since this means that FFXIII is pretty much out for best of 2010.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: