Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 07:11:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319066 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The obligatory Game of the Year 2009 thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: The obligatory Game of the Year 2009 thread  (Read 19436 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2010, 08:42:24 PM »

It'll be even BETTER though if both DQs hit and Strange Journey is as awesome as they say. Hell, it's off to a good start with Sands of Destruction (well, maybe) and Glory of Heracles.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »

The DS looks like it is going to have a really good year for RPGs.

Just like 2009. And 2008. And 2007.

Commence the whining of people who refuse to get portable systems.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2010, 09:24:08 PM »

PSP's looking good too- Valkyria Chronicles 2, Hexyz Force, Mimana (okay that's supposedly a cliche game, but it's original and not a port/remake), Lunar...

Again, 2010 is looking to be a killer year for gaming across the board. 

Considering how long it's been in development and all the delays, Alpha Protocol could go either way: contender or disappointment.  I hope that game is good.

I approve of this nonsense!
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: January 18, 2010, 06:45:54 AM »

After trying the Lunar demo, I'm not too excited about the game. It's changed just enough to throw off my nostalgia, but not enough for it to become a significantly better game. Moreover, the loading is annoying (stopping the music every time you change screens) & they got rid of the world map.

But overall, I do agree that 2010 looks like a strong year for RPGs. The DS & PSP both should have strong lineups & the HD consoles are getting Final Fantasy 13, Mass Effect 2, and Alpha Protocol, all of which should rock.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: January 18, 2010, 10:59:05 AM »

Moreover, the loading is annoying (stopping the music every time you change screens)

Do they give you the install option in the Lunar demo?

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: January 18, 2010, 11:08:29 AM »

2010 will basically have loads of RPGs, not just the DS but the HD consoles too.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: January 18, 2010, 11:09:21 AM »

Moreover, the loading is annoying (stopping the music every time you change screens)

...The demo is a download, if I'm not mistaken.  You can't -not- install it.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2010, 11:20:24 AM »

...The demo is a download, if I'm not mistaken.  You can't -not- install it.

My apologies, I meant an install option designed to provide a smoother playing experience like with Dissidia or Mana Khemia (in theory).  Based on what I see here, I may have to cancel my preorder based on some comments elsewhere, but I'll have to take a look. :\

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2010, 12:25:42 PM »

It's not so much that the load times are really long (they aren't), but just that the music fades out every time you hit one. Exploring a town and having the music cut out every time you enter or exit a building is highly annoying when the music is as good as it is in a Lunar game.

Maybe the full game will change my opinion, but it seems like a fairly weak remake all in all. Whereas with Persona, I would have no hesitation recommending it at full price over a theoretical $10 PS1 classic port since the remake is a lot better than the original, with Lunar, I'd much rather just be able to buy the original game and sequel on the PSN.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2010, 01:17:16 PM »

It's not so much that the load times are really long (they aren't), but just that the music fades out every time you hit one. Exploring a town and having the music cut out every time you enter or exit a building is highly annoying when the music is as good as it is in a Lunar game.

Well, at least they took out the BS enemy leveling crap of the PSX remake (judging mostly by comments of how easy the import was, given that the demo just lets you steamroll enemies, which you could do in the PSX remake other than a select few bosses).  That alone makes this a lot more like the original, just without sheer one man army overpoweredness of the main character and with the shoddily ported PSX movies.  I'm also not a big fan of some of the new voices.  It's certainly not like WD's actors were the pinnacle of the crop (they REALLY weren't even back then, though Truitt brought an interesting sort of interpretation), but some of these new ones are pretty godawful, judging by the XSeed clips.  The hell happened to Nash and Nall?!?  Regardless, I'm now back on being tentatively optimistic for this game, even though like you I'm just not getting that good of a vibe from this as I did with the Persona remake.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2010, 01:22:21 PM »

Okay, they can't all be winners.  Someone has to "fail" and be disappointment of the year, right?  

EDIT: aside- for style points alone, Resonance of Fate piqued my interest. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 01:50:52 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2010, 01:31:07 PM »

Growlanser has a lock on that category if Atlus doesn't bring it over, which is getting more and more likely. :P

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2010, 01:36:11 PM »

My apologies, I meant an install option designed to provide a smoother playing experience like with Dissidia or Mana Khemia (in theory).

That, and other games with the install feature, grey it out if running off a memory stick.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: