Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 02:48:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337999 Posts in 13837 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Sands of Destruction Release Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Sands of Destruction Release Topic  (Read 9246 times)
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 01:28:23 AM »

I'm rather enjoying it myself.  I'm already in love with Morte, sadistic streak and all.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Noobien
The Random Clueless Guy of The Forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »

How is the plot so far?

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 02:28:56 PM »

It's been fairly light-hearted so far.  Granted, I' m only a few hours in so I wasn't expecting "deep and dark" from the get-go.  Nothing special as of yet, but that only means that the shit has yet to hit the fan plotwise.  Although, seeing how they've dealt with things so far...

Early game spoiler:

Code:
For example, when Kyrie's Destruct ability triggers for the first time and turns everyone and everything in his hometown to dust (literally), there isn't a lot of time devoted to angsting over it before Morte shows up and steals the show.  The incident is pretty much glossed over after that.

I just got the badass teddy bear, Taupy, in my party.  I find it extremely amusing that someone that small has a voice that deep.  I'm loving it!

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 05:11:12 PM »

How is the plot so far?

I'm only about 4 hours in but it's very "Meh" so far.  The part that annoys me the most are the voices though.  Horrible acting and you can't turn off the voices.  Everything else is decent.

I too like Morte.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 05:48:44 PM »

I don't really think the voices are bad, the only reason they annoy me is that you CAN'T SKIP THE SPEAKING SCENE TEXT.  A line that takes me half a second to read takes the game upwards of 10 or 15 seconds to pass by itself, and it's incredibly aggravating.
ShiningHero

Lawlerabs

lightbreakerec@hotmail.com Blazeddc
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 08:01:55 PM »

Anybody else find it strange how Kyrie shows almost no emotion
Code:
after wiping out all those innocent people in the beginning of the game?
Oh, and chaining your basic flurrys at level 20 is pretty much enabling easy mode in this game...

For the most part though I am enjoy the game despite these minor problems.

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 09:04:02 PM »

I think is time for me to buy a DS...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 12:58:10 PM »

Dude! this game is good, frankly, i was expecting another generic meh rpg, but what the hell! it got me tied up from the beginning! the "quips" (or something like that) systems is pretty cool and fun xD, where the character can equip from 1 to 4 specific dialogues (you get more as the story goes on), and they can help you in battles (bonus stats, exp, money, etc) , the battles may be a little slow and the random battles may annoy you at some point, but i enjoy them, specially when i have all my combos linked and i pwn all the enemies with raining attacks, but well, there have been like 2 or 3 dungeons where the random battles made me want to cry, still, everything is worthy.

I just freaking love the soundtrack, most of the characters, (i must say morte is the soul in everything), how kylie keeps changing as the storie goes on (he is kinda annoying and a cliche main char at the beginning, but it gets better, though i still feel im starting the game, like 10 hours of gameplay, i wish kylie could get more dialogue, since he is the main char, but well, i still dont know what to expect), and of course, i like the storie's idea, still have no idea what will happen at the end.

The only things i dislike is the crappy game GC intro, well it looks crappy for me, dunno how other feels, and the voices, some dialogues are ok, specially for a DS game, the problem is the timing when the voiced dialogues change (when there is voice you cant press A to skip), the characters stop talking, and you have to wait like 2 seconds for the dialogue window to change, but well, since im liking this game, i can overlook this kind of things.
Oh also, some battles may get tedious, some bosses or monsters can like, attack 10-20 times on a row (depending if they use a moral skill) and darn, its a good while watching him hitting your characters, specially with boss with their "special attack" they take like 5-10 seconds to do it (it is just entretaining the first time) but once he goes back to his original position, he makes it again, and is another 5-10 seconds of waiting.

The skill system is interesting, and different, you can raise the att and acc of each of your attacks, once maxed you can link them, making devastating combos, but it makes the game easier (though i still had some problems with a boss battle even with a triple linked combo). Anyway, im liking this game

Anybody else find it strange how Kyrie shows almost no emotion
Code:
after wiping out all those innocent people in the beginning of the game?
Oh, and chaining your basic flurrys at level 20 is pretty much enabling easy mode in this game...

For the most part though I am enjoy the game despite these minor problems.

Yeah lol, i was like "uhh, why isnt kyrie crying because of that or something!?, he looks like the kind of ppl who would cry for that" i though he may not know, but he also mentioned it, is weird, though im still thinking he may not know if it was him, or something, if he is as airhead as he is like in the anime (though he doesnt looks like one) it may be possible.

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 11:10:40 AM »

So this is out? Because I looked for it in a couple of different stores yesterday (One EB and one indie store) and I couldn't find it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:14:37 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 12:16:13 PM »

Its been out for over a week now in the US (maybe not Canada though).

That said I've been seeing banner ads for that anime they made for this game. Has anybody watched it yet? And if so is it just generic schlock or is it really bad?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 04:39:46 PM »

Its been out for over a week now in the US (maybe not Canada though).

That said I've been seeing banner ads for that anime they made for this game. Has anybody watched it yet? And if so is it just generic schlock or is it really bad?

Yeah i've watched it, is just 13 episodes, the "end of the world" thing is the same as in the game, but most of the characters are different than in the game, specially kylie, and the dragon girl (i always forget her name) i think is lilia, Agan is different as well, he is a transporter here,... morte, the bear and the half human/beastman (still have to learn the names lol) personallities are close to what the game is, but they have like different mottos, for example the bear wants to be like a hero, while in the game is just a bounty hunter.

The anime is good, if you like the game and characters you should definitly see it, the only bad part is that kylie here is like an airhead to the extreme, and gets scared by everything (he barely makes something in a fight on the anime) but still, the main theme is different, agan and morte didnt know each other since kids like in the game, there is a "destrucction code" that seems to be the most important thing (of course is related to Kylie), and in the game we never see anything about a desctruction code (at least for what ive played), we see the reason why morte wants to destroy the world (still wondering if is the same as in the game, i dunno) the beastlords do different stuff as well...

Well, in conclusion, dont worry about spoiling yourself the game, because it has nothing to do with it, is pretty cool to see the characters "animenized" xD and is just 13 chapters with a nice twist at the end

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 12:39:10 AM »

So in other words, the anime continues the time honored tradition of game-based anime having very little in common with the games they're based on?  Good to know.

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 09:21:19 AM »

wohoa, the SoD review didnt made any justice to it, i dont know if the reviewer had a bad experience somwhere, or something, but i think it was too harsh O_O. I dunno if i love the game because i was starving for jrpg? (i surely wasnt, not with my ps2 besides my ps3). I actually though the graphics were good for the game, even better, some sprites movements were pretty detailed and made me laugh, some games dont even bother to move the sprite when the character is talking, and yes, the battles are kinda broken, but some enemies are hard, and is fun to watch all those combos... but im sure not everyone would feel this way... but yes, its forte isnt the battles, but is different, not too bad, and i like the "quips" system :D
But woa, the story did had some twists, for example

i didnt expect kylie would pwn the peace agreement that the ferals and golden lions were trying to do

Still, i found most of the characters (besides kyrie) interesting, specially morte and toppy, and the main story was interesting as well, if it wasnt because of the party members and the main story i would probably stop playing, kylie isnt any good for now, though
him falling for morte is funny
What the beastmen motivation is? some of them are more mysterious wich makes the game kinda deep, though i think most of the beastmen's motivation is maintain control?, humans were like slaves anyway. And you know how Japanese art is, they make characters with eyes closed all the time (like the cat beastlord), or with hair not letting the eyes show, like the elephant or whateva.

Well anyway, i think that review was waay to harsh, this tittle will surely go to my worthy rpg DS list with the world ends with you, DQ5 , rune factory series, avalon code, and luminous arc 2 (im probably forgetting some). the stories are just great..

Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 11:43:51 AM »

RPGFan reviews, or how the numerical score doesn't even have jackshit to do with the actual review.

Mediocre, yet 75/100? What the hell?
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 12:29:09 PM »

Isn't a 75/100 basically the equivalent of a mediocre score?  Anything below around 70 isn't worth playing, according to the scoring system here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: