Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 05:23:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338404 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Sands of Destruction Release Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Sands of Destruction Release Topic  (Read 9291 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 12:48:20 PM »

If anything, i thought the review was way too forgiving (this coming from someone who is generally pretty lenient with games)

-Lackluster story
-Extremely broken gameplay (I thought they were rebalancing this?).  It's either enemies take 1 damage or a ton, but usually 1.  Taupy can almost singlehandedly kill most boss in one turn (buff atk, 2 small attacks and his special will take off at least 60-80% off of every boss i've fought so far)
-Horrible voice acting
-Dialogue is incredibly lame

Personally, I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone who wasn't hurting for a portable Jrpg. 

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2010, 01:52:21 PM »

Isn't a 75/100 basically the equivalent of a mediocre score?  Anything below around 70 isn't worth playing, according to the scoring system here.

Yeah,  i've always thought is kinda weird, a mediocre could be like a 50%-60% o-o but here 75% (wich to any other person would seem an Ok value) is mediocre.

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 02:09:55 PM »

That's because most gaming review sites were designed by college flunk outs who were completely happy getting 50%s on their reports, whereas RPGFan is run by smart, attractive, successful people that do not have cocaine addictions.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 02:59:33 PM »

But a 5/10 is dead even.  Out of 100 numbers, 50 is the average, therefore 50/100 should be the score assigned to average games.  With an "everything below 70 is awful" ranking system, you only have a very slight differentiation between "good" game, but 70 points worth of ways to say a game is bad.   Ultimately, that kind of system doesn't really tell you much about games that are good, and tells you more then you want to know about games that are bad.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 04:17:56 PM »

Isn't a 75/100 basically the equivalent of a mediocre score?  Anything below around 70 isn't worth playing, according to the scoring system here.

Yeah,  i've always thought is kinda weird, a mediocre could be like a 50%-60% o-o but here 75% (wich to any other person would seem an Ok value) is mediocre.

The definition for mediocre is kind of silly. It can mean neither good nor bad, to poor or inferior.

"Oh, a hunter..."
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2010, 04:39:50 PM »

That's because most gaming review sites were designed by college flunk outs who were completely happy getting 50%s on their reports, whereas RPGFan is run by smart, attractive, successful people that do not have cocaine addictions.

Well, im not exactly talking about exactly game reviewers, percentages can be used for everything, looking at the case of academy, if you get a 50% of a test, is in the line, nor good nor bad, at least you pass, 80% fairly good, 30% sucks, thats like kind of the vision i have for that o-o, but well they all difer depending on the ppl using that system.

The definition for mediocre is kind of silly. It can mean neither good nor bad, to poor or inferior.

Personally i see mediocre something that is worst than bad, is not even worthy xD, i just used mediocre because of the post i was quoting, but maybe for other ppl that is "normal"?

Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »

Hmm, I'd like to take over RPGFan then. This way 90-100 would be good, 80-90 average and everything below complete travesty.

Kyle
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 10:12:06 AM »

75% is average. Think of it like a grade. It's a C, which is average.

And average means average. Not special. Playable, but flawed. Enjoyable to the average RPG fan.

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 03:34:07 PM »

if you get a 50% of a test, is in the line, nor good nor bad, at least you pass

Where in the world do you live where 50% is considered passing?

Personally i see mediocre something that is worst than bad

Mediocre means middling. It's a word. It has a definition. You cannot redefine it willy-nilly. Cut dat shizz out bro.

o/` I do not dream o/`

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »

if you get a 50% of a test, is in the line, nor good nor bad, at least you pass

Where in the world do you live where 50% is considered passing?

Personally i see mediocre something that is worst than bad

Mediocre means middling. It's a word. It has a definition. You cannot redefine it willy-nilly. Cut dat shizz out bro.

In my country? and we have grades from 0 to 20, with 10 you can pass the test wich is 50% of it, not from 0 to 10 or letters, if ive heard right, the ppl who use the 0-10 system pass with 5?, wich is C- i think, there is a big world outside you know, there are lots of education systems .

Words can be seen by different perspectives, ppl could see mediocre in many ways, what is worst, mediocre or pathetic?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 08:37:21 PM »

75% is average. Think of it like a grade. It's a C, which is average.

And average means average. Not special. Playable, but flawed. Enjoyable to the average RPG fan.

Alternatively, it's not average because it would be relevant to genre fans. I'd say that's the key here, the 70 range on a lot of sites (and magazines, those that are still around) shows a game is good and worth playing, but not a MUST play and possibly not relevant for people who aren't series or genre fans. A truly average game would only be moderately enjoyable to those series/genre fans at best, and as such is safe to disregard entirely.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 09:12:49 PM »

and we have grades from 0 to 20

That immediately makes me think France, and a 10 out of 20 in that grading system is not equivalent to a 50% on an American grading scale. That's more like 70% or something.

o/` I do not dream o/`

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 09:28:19 PM »

Well, a good part of south america uses that system, though ive been in schools where they calificate with letters, still, in college is from 0 to 20, if you get an average of 10 at the end of the semester you pass the grade.

Oh well, and i imagine some countrie's educational systems are a lot more developed, so it makes its grading more valuable
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:32:30 PM by WildArms » Logged

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 10:03:48 PM »

I have actively looked for this game and can't find it anywhere.

Annoying.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2010, 03:14:38 PM »

Sorta thread rezzing here, but I finally got this game via Gamefly, and im liking it so far.  Or at least im intrigued.  I still don't really understand the battle system..I need to find something online that better explains it.  I do agree with not being able to skip the spoken dialogue text..really annoying.  But otherwise its been pretty fun.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: