Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 07:42:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330159 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mimana: Iyar Chronicle
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Mimana: Iyar Chronicle  (Read 6163 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:12:34 PM »

So...does anyone know anything about this game?  Supposed to be coming out on the PSP in the US in March courtesy of Aksys.  Looks like a fairly generic JRPG from the screenshots but I haven't been able to find a single preview or import review or anything...

Seems like a pretty random title to localize.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:38:04 PM »

One random guy on the Aksys boards claimed to have played the JPN release, and he said it was pretty average, but other than that I've heard absolutely nothing.  All I can say is that the graphical style looks pretty fantastic and if Laevetinn Tactics is anything to go by the translation will be really good too.
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 07:14:21 PM »

I don't know anything about this game, except that I vaguely recall seeing a few screenshots somewhere some time ago, but I am buying it just to show my support for the PSP and random JPRGs being brought over to the US.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:25:28 PM »

One random guy on the Aksys boards claimed to have played the JPN release, and he said it was pretty average, but other than that I've heard absolutely nothing.  All I can say is that the graphical style looks pretty fantastic and if Laevetinn Tactics is anything to go by the translation will be really good too.

This.

I have no reason to get psyched about the game other than the screens and the fact that I can trust the localization team.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 10:38:07 AM »

Like I said elsewhere, between this, Hexyz Force, Valkyria Chronicles 2, and others I'm forgetting, the PSP's looking to have a nice cache of original RPGs this year. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 06:02:55 PM »

And Hexyz Force sounds like it's actually good and Valkyria Chronicles 2 is going to be great. Throw in Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, and it should be a pretty good year for the PSP, even when not factoring in other titles like MGS: Peace Walker.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 02:57:59 AM »

And Hexyz Force sounds like it's actually good and Valkyria Chronicles 2 is going to be great. Throw in Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, and it should be a pretty good year for the PSP, even when not factoring in other titles like MGS: Peace Walker.

I would say that this would be the year of the PSP if the Go wasn't stinking up the place. I still have no idea as to the extent of the backwards compatibility of the Go or even if its getting any BC support at all.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 04:39:02 AM »

What the hell does it matter that there's a crappy model so long as the games remain good? Plus if the rumors of a 4000 model are true then it'll probably redeem itself.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 11:18:07 AM »

I would say that this would be the year of the PSP if the Go wasn't stinking up the place. I still have no idea as to the extent of the backwards compatibility of the Go or even if its getting any BC support at all.

You have no idea?  Really?  I didn't think there was still anyone out there stilling waiting for a BC-solution for the Go to be announced.  It ain't gonna happen.

But at Eusis said, what does that have to do with the quality of the games.  And the 3000 is still on sale, you know.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »

I'm pretty sure there's a third-party device that reads UMD's in the works for the Go.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »

You have no idea?  Really?  I didn't think there was still anyone out there stilling waiting for a BC-solution for the Go to be announced.  It ain't gonna happen.

But at Eusis said, what does that have to do with the quality of the games.  And the 3000 is still on sale, you know.

Its more of a matter of which model do I get. How many new games are Go only? How many UMD games will receive digital distribution for Go owners? How long will it be before they release the Go 2000? Will any game worth its salt come out for the Go only? And so on...

There are a couple of PSP UMD games that I would like to get sometime in the future but will there be an option for Go owners (outside of third party support)?

And while I'm well aware of the third parties stepping up to the BC challenge, they are still third parties who may or may not release shoddy products.

Also I'm not somebody who automatically dismisses digital distribution because I'm too much of a bloody kleptomaniac.

And most importantly, I'm not made of money. I'm not likely to get both unless I can come across them cheaply, and I have to work at getting some of those games too unlike some people here apparently.

Once it becomes apparent that the Go isn't some failed attempt at upgrading the system. Then I'll start looking into getting one.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 03:20:23 PM »

There is no such thing as a Go-only game.  Digital download games can also be played on a 1000, 2000, or 3000 so long as you have a memory stick with enough space on it.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 04:19:40 PM »

How many new games are Go only?

None! Like said you just need a reasonably sized memory stick to get any download-only games released, and you can get them for a decent price these days. The model question however IS legitimate, just not in the way you think. There is the 4000 all but confirmed, and for all anyone knows that could come with the onboard memory of the Go and some of its features, but with the UMD drive of prior PSPs.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 04:24:38 PM »

There is no such thing as a Go-only game.  Digital download games can also be played on a 1000, 2000, or 3000 so long as you have a memory stick with enough space on it.

Which is precisely why the Go fails.  At least with the DSi there is content specific to that system and a larger screen that you can't get with the regular DS.  Not enough at this point to make up for no backwards compatibility and an extra $40, but at least enough to make it interesting.  The Go gives you a freaking 16 gigs of RAM and bluetooth for an extra $80.  Awesome.  But hey, at least digital downloads cost just as much as UMDs and are identical except in rare cases like Mana Khemia, which of course could be downloaded to the regular PSP.  I'm going to run out and buy a Go as soon as Sony gives me a million dollars.

As far as the main topic goes, I can't say the look of the game excites me too much, but it IS an original RPG.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:22:23 PM by Ryos » Logged

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 06:04:47 PM »

At least with the DSi there is content specific to that system and a large screen resolution that you can't get with the regular DS.  Not enough at this point to make up for no backwards compatibility and an extra $40, but at least enough to make it interesting.

The resolution isn't higher, the screen's just bigger, if they did increase the resolution it'd likely wreck hell on the regular DS software. As for backwards compatibility... you know, the system had been out about 4 and a half years at that point, this isn't like the PS3 dropping BC here (though that would've probably been needed eventually simply due to the power drain and heat generated), you either likely have gotten full mileage out of GBA software or can get a GBA SP for $40 if you didn't still have one laying around.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: