Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 04:40:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329270 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Vandal Hearts sequel next week on XBLA/PSN - $15
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Vandal Hearts sequel next week on XBLA/PSN - $15  (Read 1825 times)
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:00:47 PM »

Taken from MajorNelson's blog, Vandal Hearts will be coming out next week on XBLA (along with Death by Cube) for 1200 MS points.

The art style looks attrocious IMO, but hopefully the game itself will be great.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:58:45 PM by Robert Boyd » Logged

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:14:09 PM »

It's also coming to the PSN next week too. $14.99.

I'll probably wait for reviews before picking up this game. It is kind of expensive.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:25:31 PM »

I'd really like to support this game.  I only worry that I'll get it and end up not playing it much because it's too ugly to behold.

Alfa System Forever
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:45:36 PM »

Well, the demo didn't seem so terrible, but I'm also waiting on a review.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 06:39:02 PM »

Hmmm...this should be I would normally review.

Where have I been?

The staff has me on White Knight Chronicles though. Maybe after that one...

JP
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 07:07:47 PM »

I'm not touching this, that's for sure. Mass Effect 2 is all I care about at the current time.

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 05:53:44 PM »

I might give this a go. I'll check out the demo and see if it's worth plunking down 15 bucks for.

erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »

IGN gave it a 7.3:
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/106/1062360p1.html

The crux of their review seems to be "should appeal to SRPG fans who can overlook the horrible art direction".
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 07:53:47 PM »

I was going to get this one last night but opted for Shadow Complex instead. It was probably for the best.  Maybe sometime down the road I'll get it but there's just WAY too much on my plate right now.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 12:43:33 PM »

I'm almost up to Ch.4 in the story.

I think Konami has been pretty faithful in adapting some of the classic "themes" from the original game. I.E. adding the town screen that lets you chose tavern to talk to people to pick up hints, shop, etc. Strategy moving mechanics are nice. I like the fact that you can highly customize a character and build up their skill level in every spell so everyone can be balanced, or equipping a "book" of spells in items to use in battle. Scrolling around the battle map is nice and doesn't chop pixel to pixel like it did in the first game. Only complaint is seeing the load screen constantly between loading world map, town, or finishing a battle.

One thing to note as well is the game is pretty easy (at least so far). I remember playing the original and getting the game over screen a few times when the enemy took out Ash because I got clumsy and forgot to protect him, so far I haven't gotten a single game over screen yet. I also like the music, it's a bit reminiscent of the original.

Ya... I was extremely annoyed with the art style when it was first previewed and thought what a crummy departure from the original classic. Crappy sprites aside... I found I was able to get into the game and move past that and focus on the game. Hopefully that helps for some people who were on the fence. And for $14.99 that's extremely cheap to me when average new PS3 games out there are going for $59.99 upon release. In this crummy economy $14.99 is a steal IMHO.

I think the reason IGN gave the game such a low score is because their pissed like all of us with the art direction. Hopefully that means Konami will listen next time if they're ever to continue with this reboot. But they definitely coined the game right with their quote from above.

Playing: Mario Kart 8 (Wii U).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: