Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 09:49:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335255 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Something similar to Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Something similar to Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon  (Read 6269 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2010, 04:59:29 PM »

I enjoyed Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on the Ds. Can anyone suggest something similar for the DS?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 05:03:22 PM »

Define similar. There's other strategy RPGs worth playing (like Devil Survivor), but that might not be what you want at all.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »

Get your hands on the old GBA Fire Emblems if you want something similar.  While I didn't play shadow dragon (pretty much everyone here made it sound horrid), I did love the GBA games and you should probably give them a shot.  Regular "Fire Emblem" was my favorite by far.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »

Define similar. There's other strategy RPGs worth playing (like Devil Survivor), but that might not be what you want at all.
Good point. a turn based strategy game ........ very loosely like a chess game.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 05:50:06 PM »

I hated Shadow Dragon. Get the Wii FEs, and the GBA ones as well. They're much, much better and don't require you to kill off your own party members to get new ones.

Also, as for other SRPGs, my personal favorite is Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. Definitely give that one a go.

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 09:56:05 PM »

You liked Shadow Dragon? My deepest condolences.

And FFTactics is only good if you like games with horribly unbalanced mechanisms and tons of useless classes.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 10:09:34 PM »

You still haven't really narrowed down the choices here, as there are lots of kinds of SRPG's.

For a standard Fire Emblem-style game, you can't relaly go wrong with more Fire Emblem on the GBA, as has been said already.  Rondo of Swords is also pretty close to that grouping, and you might also try the Super Robot Taisen GBA games if you like giant robots.  There's also Yggdra Union, which is like hyper-complicated chess.  For a more tactical game, you might try Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis on the GBA, or SMT: Devil Survivor on DS.  If you want a really wacky style of SRPG, check out Knights in the Nightmare.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 10:15:59 PM »

How about Advanced Wars?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »

And FFTactics is only good if you like games with horribly unbalanced mechanisms and tons of useless classes.

I heard games have text in between battles or something, that string together into some sort of cohesive whole.

And yeah, Shadow Dragon's definately the weakest in the series. I'd say go check out the GBA games because they're superior in pretty much every way.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 10:18:41 PM »

I wouldn't strictly say that Advance Wars was an RPG, but it IS closer to chess if that's what he's actually looking for.

They're also amazing games save for Dual Strike, so yes, get them anyway.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 10:21:46 PM »

You still haven't really narrowed down the choices here, as there are lots of kinds of SRPG's.

I'm taking it that he's new to the genre period, so basically any decent suggestions are open game. One I'd LIKE to recommend is Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, but I'm probably in the minority of enjoying it.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 10:27:07 PM »

Yeah, I don't think I'd suggest that to a newcomer to the genre.  It's one of those love-it-or-hate-it games, from what I've heard.
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 07:14:53 AM »

Thanks guys for the tips.  I am sort of new to the genre and I know that there are so many rpg variations. I have played  Crono Trigger, Dragon Quest, FF5,  Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Zelda hourglass and M&L Bowser inside story and partners in time.

I am three quarters through Zelda Spirit tracks and getting bored.  I have not finished any of the above but seem to enjoy Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon the most. 

I have a dsi so the game boy stuff won't work with it. I might give Advance wars a go.

I liked the look of Kingdon Hearts DSi  but it has had a mixed review.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 08:08:11 AM »

You liked Shadow Dragon? My deepest condolences.

Please don't the FFTA games confused with FFT.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 08:56:41 AM »

If you want to go DS-only Advance Wars games, go with Days of Ruin.  If the only one you can get is Dual Strike, then I guess settle for it, but understand that it's the worst game in the series to get released outside of Japan.  Days of Ruin is fantastic though.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: