Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 09:19:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318980 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Something similar to Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Something similar to Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon  (Read 5861 times)
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 09:30:22 AM »

The World Ends with You... Itīs quite enterteining.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 10:19:51 AM »

TWEWY isn't an SRPG though.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 10:51:50 AM »

TWEWY isn't an SRPG though.

Heīs playing the Spirit Tracks so Iīm guessing he just wants any Rpg title thatīs entertaining.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 01:18:27 PM »

And yeah, Shadow Dragon's definately the weakest in the series. I'd say go check out the GBA games because they're superior in pretty much every way.

I thought the gameplay was a bit better than in the other games, more streamlined. Sure, it goes back to the basics, but that makes it a game for newcomers.

Anyway, if you like Shadow Dragon, you should also consider the remake of another classic SRPG: Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon (GBA). It's not the most balanced game out there, but it's fun and easy to get into. Or just play the original on the Xbox 360 or Wii. The second game is even better by the way.
professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 03:37:38 PM »

Hey Zool!  Fire Emblem DS was my first strategy RPG, and I enjoyed it so much that I went out and bought every srpg I could get my hands on.  If you're looking for things mainly on the DS, Drone Tactics is very similar to Fire Emblem, though it has some mandatory mini-games thrown in that some (like Gen Eric Gui) really dislike.  While they are mildly annoying, I think the game is a PERFECT follow-up to Fire Emblem DS.

Rondo of Swords is pretty innovative, and well worth checking out.  I think there are some game-design flaws, personally, but there's no question that the gameplay is pretty deep.

If you want something more along the FFT model, give Luminous Arc 2 a try.  That one is really addictive-- at least it was for me.  

There's also Luminous Arc 1, FFTA2, Devil Survivor, Disgaea DS, Heroes of Mana, Front Mission, Hoshigami Remix, Bleach: Third Phantom, Valkyrie Profile, Knights in the Nightmare, and probably a few others I'm forgetting-- all on the DS.

Honestly, the situation is almost better on the PSP, which has beautiful Disgaea ports, Jeanne D'Arc, the definitive version of FFT, and on and on...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 04:42:46 PM by professor ganson » Logged

Alfa System Forever
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 04:21:46 PM »

If you have a PSP, Jeanne d'Arc and FFT are must plays in my opinion.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 03:57:13 AM »

I thought the gameplay was a bit better than in the other games, more streamlined. Sure, it goes back to the basics, but that makes it a game for newcomers.

I think you're really underestimating the intelligence of the average gamer. Fire Emblem 6 was my first experience with the series, and I had 0 problems with getting into it because it's probably the easiest Fire Emblem aside from Shadow Dragon, which ranges from a laughable easy mode to a literally impossible hard mode. It also had the whole Lyn Campaign as an introduction to how the game works.

If someone is really having that much trouble understanding it, Advance Wars is a better way to get into the basics of strategy games since it doesn't have all those levels and classes nonsense.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 04:18:32 AM by Hathen » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 04:28:02 AM »

That's Fire Emblem 7 and I doubt I underestimate the intelligence of the avarage gamer. Even some of my fellow reviewers thought it was too hard and frustrating. Don't forget that fans of particular genres (like us RPGfans) aren't exactly avarage.

If someone is really having that much trouble understanding it, Advance Wars is a better way to get into the basics of strategy games since it doesn't have all those levels and classes nonsense.

But it still has plenty to keep track of, especially the later games. Just because the concept is fairly simple, doesn't mean the game is. Also, it does have classes and stats, they're just less prominent or named differently.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 05:20:36 AM »

Er, right, 7. My bad. While I did say that FE7 was the easiest of the FE games, I certainly don't mean it's an easy game by any stretch. FE games are pretty infamous for their high difficulty. Still, I feel that the introductory stages were more than enough to introduce you to how the game works. The only thing I would accuse it of is having a steep difficulty curve. I don't think that has to do with understanding how the game works.

For comparison, Portal had some very innovative things to offer in gameplay and was designed in a way so that you would understand how it works very quickly. The first room in the game had a portal open and made you step through it so that you end up on the outside of the room, looking at where you were before with the radio in the room still playing as an audio cue. In the same way, I feel that having the Lyn campaign begin with a single enemy VS Lyn and build up from there is equally intuitive, at least for a typical gamer. If we're talking housewife-type casual gamers, that would be a very different story, heh.

As far as different units in Advance Wars goes, I think the things in there are really standard things you would find in just about every strategy game ever made. Shadow Dragon has plenty of classes as well. The only real reason it's easy is because it constantly throws you new units and almost just allows you to charge recklessly through the game. I actually think that does the opposite of learning how strategy games work, since there's that "strategy" in the name. =P
Noobien
The Random Clueless Guy of The Forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »

You still haven't really narrowed down the choices here, as there are lots of kinds of SRPG's.

I'm taking it that he's new to the genre period, so basically any decent suggestions are open game. One I'd LIKE to recommend is Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, but I'm probably in the minority of enjoying it.
I enjoyed covenant of the plume and I could have liked it a lot more if it wasn't for the motherfucking difficulty.
War of the lions was also very good.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 11:08:32 AM »

Er, right, 7. My bad. While I did say that FE7 was the easiest of the FE games, I certainly don't mean it's an easy game by any stretch. FE games are pretty infamous for their high difficulty. Still, I feel that the introductory stages were more than enough to introduce you to how the game works. The only thing I would accuse it of is having a steep difficulty curve. I don't think that has to do with understanding how the game works.

That steep difficulty curve is actually quite problematic. Difficult levels smacking you in the face while you just got the hang of the game, can be a big turn-off. Shadow Dragon is more balanced. The game is also more polished. There are more battle speed settings, the menu's are a bit easier to navigate etc.

Besides, Shadow Dragon isn't rare yet, I heard you can get it for $10 at Wal-mart. The first GBA Fire Emblem is much harder to find and more expensive. If you're new to the genre, would you track down a rare game or just buy the recent one that got good reviews as well? Well, you could cheat and use an emulator, but...

Also:

I enjoyed Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on the Ds. Can anyone suggest something similar for the DS?

Hey Zool!  Fire Emblem DS was my first strategy RPG, and I enjoyed it so much that I went out and bought every srpg I could get my hands on.

I'm not saying Shadow Dragon is the best game in the series, but it's a good place to start. This topic proves that, right?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 05:23:33 PM »

I enjoyed covenant of the plume and I could have liked it a lot more if it wasn't for the motherfucking difficulty.

The thing with CotP is that the difficulty isn't too hard so much as it is horrifically broken. When you don't hold back on sacrificing people (though you may need to be smart in making the right call on when, especially early on) you quickly gain absurd powers and become nigh-unkillable.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 02:28:51 PM »

maybe it's just because i've been playing srpg's since shining force 2 but i didn't find cotp all that difficult. usually when a srpg seems hard it's because your not abusing the mechanics of the game. like i once had a friend that was having a hard time with some of the later bosses in srw original generations,but he wasn't using any team attacks wich bypass the sheilds a lot of the later bosses have.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 04:08:13 PM »

maybe it's just because i've been playing srpg's since shining force 2 but i didn't find cotp all that difficult. usually when a srpg seems hard it's because your not abusing the mechanics of the game. like i once had a friend that was having a hard time with some of the later bosses in srw original generations,but he wasn't using any team attacks wich bypass the sheilds a lot of the later bosses have.

Don't forget about EN draining missiles. Without EN boss shields won't work.

Step 1: Drain EN

Step 2: Dog-pile

Step 3: ??????

Step 4: Profit

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 04:50:06 PM »

I heard games have text in between battles or something, that string together into some sort of cohesive whole.

To quote my GOOD BUDDY.

"FFT's like the most amazing and well-though out story ever, being written by a 16-year-old."

Anyway if the port wasn't supposed to suck so much, I'd recommend Jagged Alliance. Gog.com has the PC ones if you're interested. JA2 is a loooot more RPGish than the first, although neither of them are particularly like FE outside of the whole unit perma-death thing.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: