Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 03:06:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329219 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FF XI realted question.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: FF XI realted question.  (Read 2093 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:42:04 PM »

i'm curious how the posters here feel about equip swaps? i hate them a LOT. at times it can look like your playing a game with no attack or casting animations. and lately i've been ridiculed for not using them wich is sad since ive seen some people do equip swaps to add 2 extra str on a particular slot. i'm also curious if others hope SE does away with equip swaps in FF14. i should say i do use equip swaps that dont flash me out(rings belts etc.) but its a massive pain in my ass to try to switch from melee gloves to temple gloves boost then try to switch back and hope an attack doesnt slip out before asuran fists. because of this i have steered clear of certain jobs i feel can't function properly without equip swaps. wich means pretty much every mage job except maybe whm.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:02:33 PM »

Hate them. At the very least I'd like FF14 to use the LotRO system of having two seperate equipment windows- one for the stats, one for looks. Swapping equipment isn't something that should be done, though. It gives more flexibility to give several different types of armor that do different things and force you to choose between one or the other, rather than making the game about getting several sets of armor so you can boost every last one of your abilities by a minuscule amount.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 06:54:37 PM »

Get rid of equipment swaps.  The supposed added "strategy" is bullshit; there is no strategy involved because you're merely going through the motions with the ideal setup for each contingency with no amount of thought put towards strengths versus weaknesses.  It also reflects poor itemization in other cases; why have eight elemental staves when one will do the same thing?  After all, equipment swapping macros accomplish the same core purpose.  It all could have been avoided by making one staff that enhances all elements.  Blinking characters would be gone, an extra line of macro code would be removed from every magic user's macros, and seven item slots would be opened up.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 03:50:16 PM »

I'll suck the dick of whomever coder can create an MMO where equipment swaps don't make you blink, or remove healer's targeting reticule from you. To me, that's the only real issue. The staves in FFXI were fine IMO, it's not like you were forced to use them. Plus, each mage only "needed" 2-3 of them. Dark being a primary for all, light for anyone who's gonna heal, and probably an ice for ele magic+ and because ice magic rocks.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 04:37:15 PM »

The fact that it would take you forever to manage equipment between classes only further reflects how much of a problem it was.  The crappy inventory management and limited space in FFXI was only made worse with equipment swapping.  When you have to have mule characters, the situation is bad.  The very idea of swapping out armor in the middle of a battle with an ancient wyrm is absolutely ridiculous.  It's one thing to be swapping weapons, it's another when you're removing, and then equipping entire suits of armor in a split second.

"Hold on mighty dragon.  Before you unleash an inferno upon me, let me equip my fire resistant armor first."

Equipment swapping is bullshit, get rid of it.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 06:13:50 AM »

I think even weapon swapping should only really be done in action RPGs a'la PSO/PSU since there's a more immediate advantage/disadvantage between weapons. In MMOs the only real difference between weapon types is delay and the ability to equip a shield.

SE needs to get better at designing armor. Half the armor in FFXI (Most of the crap off the AH) never gets used because it's vanilla gear that only gives defense.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: