Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 02:52:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319227 Posts in 13034 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Masashi Hamauzu leaves Square Enix
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Masashi Hamauzu leaves Square Enix  (Read 2277 times)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:31:43 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this:

http://www.squareenixmusic.com/musicnews2.php?subaction=showfull&id=1263934146&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2&

Square Enix Music Online can exclusively reveal that Final Fantasy XIII composer Masashi Hamauzu has left Square Enix. His departure is the latest in an exodus at the company's sound team, following Kenichiro Fukui and Junya Nakano, and further departures from the remaining four composer team will occur in coming months.

During his 15 years at the company, Hamauzu has worked on titles such as SaGa Frontier II, Unlimited SaGa, Final Fantasy X, Musashi: Samurai Legend, Dirge of Cerberus, and Sigma Harmonics. During this period, he has accumulated considerable critical acclaim for his stylistic versatility and artistic impressionistic style. He has also produced three piano albums and the solo project Vielen Dank.

Hamauzu's latest score Final Fantasy XIII is likely to make him a blockbuster name in the industry and has already been subjected to rave reviews. Its official soundtrack will be released on January 27. Though he completed the music for the Japanese game last year, he has recently been involved in development of the soundtrack for the international version of the game. Hamauzu's future destination remains to be confirmed.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 10:34:19 PM »

The music forum would've probably been m ore fitting, but close enough until a moderator moves it.

I wouldn't worry too much, probably another case of where he'll do freelance work for them now that he's free. I recall a feature or interview awhile back about how the situation has changed in Japan so that most of these composers cna go out on their own rather than get a job at a company to get access to advanced sound equipment at all.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:49:50 PM »

Just saw this.

I hope he'll do fine, he's one of my favourites.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Bill

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 01:23:48 AM »

It's a logical progression. With FFXIII on his resume now, he should have no problem finding work, while retaining rights to any new music in the process.

Composers have been shifting toward freelance careers for a long time now. I doubt many game companies are even hiring in-house staffers anymore (Square Enix certainly isn't).
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 04:17:48 AM »

Yeah, that sounds like a smart move on his part. I bet he's betting on the fact that his FFXIII soundtrack was so well received that S-E will be begging for him to do more in the future, but he'll be able to negotiate more on his terms. Mitsuda did it, Uematsu did it, many others have been doing it, seems like the way to go.

The only downside is that you lose a bit of cohesion in a series having a particular composer with a particular sound. Final Fantasy music used to be a brand of its own with Uematsu heading it up, but from FFX on, it's lost a bit of that unity, though it seems like Hamauzu brought it back around with a bang with his "neo-Uematsu" styling. Then again, Uematsu himself signed on for an entire game for the first time since FFIX, so maybe S-E will talk him back into fronting the franchise for the next few outings. Either way, they're my two favorite game composers right now, so I'm thrilled to see them striving like they are.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 04:46:26 AM »

To be honest, I think going independent is also good.

Although, I dunno who suffered after going indie, Mitsuda maybe?

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 05:02:33 AM »

Mitsuda suffered because Mitsuda took a wrong turn somewhere between "Great" and "Superb" and ended up at "Repulsive". Mitsuda's fall from grace is his, and his alone. No one needs to give him any scape goats, he'd probably just rape them anyway.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 05:35:59 PM »

Mitsuda suffered because Mitsuda took a wrong turn somewhere between "Great" and "Superb" and ended up at "Repulsive". Mitsuda's fall from grace is his, and his alone. No one needs to give him any scape goats, he'd probably just rape them anyway.

You're insane. Mitsuda may not be what he once was, but "repulsive" is extreme hyperbole. Mitsuda has also been public about having chronic fatigue and other very real health issues. So quit being an ass towards him, eh?

Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 03:20:57 PM »

I do need Hamauzu in tri-Ace games. It would only be fitting. Perhaps more on anime OSTs? For example, I could imagine some Hamauzu on Ganktsuou.

As long as he doesn't fall off of the map, my world will not be crushed. I thought he was hiding after Vielen Dank Sigma Harmonics, etc and I began to see the sunlight.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 03:54:22 PM »

It makes me sad to see him leave.  Sorry for reviving an old topic but talking about Masashi Hamauzu makes me happy.  Anyways, when he was with Square, he made some of the best music for them.  Not dissing Uematsu, Sakimoto and Shimomura.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: