Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 07:00:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338076 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Have you played Kingdom Hearts DS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Have you played Kingdom Hearts DS  (Read 1984 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2010, 07:12:29 AM »

This game has got me quite confused. I have not played a Kingdom Hearts game before but I have wanted to since it was first announced that it was coming to the DS. It is the reviews that have confused me. More than any other game I remember, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days ds has quite mixed reviews. For every good review there seems to be a poor one.

John P Hussey said in his review 'I'm just happy I'm done playing. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is one of the most disappointing gaming experiences I have had in recent memory.

Yet he scored it 81% Good - This category describes games in which most things are done right. While this game will most likely end up giving you a quality experience, it is not a true classic.

Yet a couple of other reviewers have it as one of their games of the year.

Is it good? I know all reviews have said the graphics are some of the best on the Ds, but what about the controls? This is where a lot of DS 3D games fall down.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 08:39:56 AM »

I always find it a chore to play. I really don't like how it's mission-based, and a lot of these missions have very similar objectives. I prefer the adventure from the PS2 games. The panel system is an interesting idea, but it really isn't my thing. The soundtrack is basically recycled from the PS2 titles, and dumbed down to fit DS quality. The graphics are pretty much the same deal, but they're actually pretty good. The controls aren't the best, but I suppose they couldn't do any better for the DS (3D games with a D-pad is a pain most of the time). You do get used to the controls, however.

I haven't actually gotten around to finishing it yet, but so far, I can only say that you should look for a price cheaper than retail.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 11:04:02 AM »

This game has got me quite confused. I have not played a Kingdom Hearts game before but I have wanted to since it was first announced that it was coming to the DS. It is the reviews that have confused me. More than any other game I remember, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days ds has quite mixed reviews. For every good review there seems to be a poor one.

John P Hussey said in his review 'I'm just happy I'm done playing. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is one of the most disappointing gaming experiences I have had in recent memory.

Yet he scored it 81% Good - This category describes games in which most things are done right. While this game will most likely end up giving you a quality experience, it is not a true classic.

Yet a couple of other reviewers have it as one of their games of the year.

Is it good? I know all reviews have said the graphics are some of the best on the Ds, but what about the controls? This is where a lot of DS 3D games fall down.

Thanks for reading. If you haven't played a KH game before, I wouldn't buy it. I scored it as an 81% for KH junkies. For non-junkies, you probably won't understand this one and give up after your seventh sea-salt ice cream.

JP
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »

One thing the developers need to learn is that having hour long tutorials teaching you how to jump gets boring and stupid. Starting your game off with a borefest usually leads to people not having the enthusiasm to play the freakin' thing. I know that happened to me with this one.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 01:58:01 PM »

One thing the developers need to learn is that having hour long tutorials teaching you how to jump gets boring and stupid. Starting your game off with a borefest usually leads to people not having the enthusiasm to play the freakin' thing. I know that happened to me with this one.

The worst thing is you CAN still make the game fun despite the tutorials. I played M&L3 again about when I got this from GameFly, and despite how often they pause the action to explain attacks and whatnot it was still a lot of fun to play the game. In contrast, Kingdom Hearts was just a chore to go through. Of course, it might help that stuff was actually HAPPENING in M&L3 unlike Kingdom Hearts!

This might be showing review conundrums though. Should you really rate based on what you expect the audience to want, or no? This is admittedly a positive example, but I remember Game Informer getting a lot of shit thrown at it for giving Paper Mario 2 a 6-ish score, and the reviewer said he did it because he expected it to reflect how the Game Informer readers would feel about the game.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 02:01:03 PM »

It's really not a bad game at all.  I prefer it more than the PS2 KHs, not that I ever enjoyed those.  My reasons would get a bullet to my head so I shut up now.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 02:28:55 PM »

Thanks for reading. If you haven't played a KH game before, I wouldn't buy it. I scored it as an 81% for KH junkies. For non-junkies, you probably won't understand this one and give up after your seventh sea-salt ice cream.

JP
Just got back from town this afternoon and have read your reply........................ but Kingdon Hearts was on offer so, I am now the proud owner of one Kingdom Hearts game.  Have I wasted my money?????????????????  I hope Saviour is right.

I tend not to get to involved in the story of a game if I can help it, as long as I understand the game play.  Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach and Mario goes looking for her is about enough information for me. That said I don't mind reading the text, once; as long as you don't have to scroll through it if you loose a life.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 02:37:50 PM »

I tend not to get to involved in the story of a game if I can help it, as long as I understand the game play.  Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach and Mario goes looking for her is about enough information for me. That said I don't mind reading the text, once; as long as you don't have to scroll through it if you loose a life.

Then this is perfect, because the story of Kingdom Hearts makes so little sense you can't get attached unless you're obsessive about it! And you definitely won't get anything just by diving in like this.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 02:59:10 PM »

I've been wanting to try this but I'll have to finish my backlog first.

BTW, not really belonging to this topic but Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep is supposedly the best one out there (like the MGS3 of the MGS series). Importers (from Neogaf) said it was the best, on par or higher than KH1.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »

I'm sure I'll be reviewing that one too (either me or Mr. Gann).

IMO, I think the series is getting progressively worse (moving from adventure games to cliched RPG sell outs). On staff, about 25% agree with me, and the others voted it as one of the GOTY,

JP
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 04:51:42 PM »

Then this is perfect, because the story of Kingdom Hearts makes so little sense you can't get attached unless you're obsessive about it! And you definitely won't get anything just by diving in like this.

Thats good, but I see what Eusis means when he says hour long tutorials teaching you how to jump gets boring and stupid It's been over an hour now and I am still being trained; not through the tutorials yet.

In the old days we would exit one door and go through another door to the next  level/world/dungeon, what ever.  But now a lot of games seem to be padded out with stuff between levels.  I was 3/4 the way through Zelda Spirit Tracks and got fed up with all the train rides between dungeons, so that got traded in.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 10:11:12 AM »

Yeah, I played it. Best spinoff ever. Death to all who insult this game.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: