Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:54:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334788 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Are you going to upgrade your DS/DSi to the DSi XL?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Are you going to upgrade your DS/DSi to the DSi XL?  (Read 5009 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 03:35:59 AM »

You'll pry my GBA slot from my cold dead hands.

And if it was just swiped with a GB Micro?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 01:36:27 PM »

I like having both in the same place.

Why would I want to carry around two machines?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 01:38:26 PM »

My DS is a "fat" DS I bought used.  If I can afford an XL I'd want it because of the larger screen.  I can't stare at small handheld screens for long periods of time and often prefer my PSP to my DS because of the screen. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 01:40:18 PM »

The screen IS larger... but no, I don't agree with Mark but I don't think you necessarily have much to fear. Unless it's notably thicker than the Hori pen-stylus I can't imagine it seriously being uncomfortable, and like said you still get a regular stylus like the prior DS systems had. Failing all else... well, it's not like you CAN'T use the original DS stylus on it, but I think you and most anyone else would prefer the lite-style of stylus after trying it.

Having used an LL, I can confidently say that there is nothing to fear whatsoever. The larger screen accommodates for the pen grip perfectly.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 04:11:17 PM »

You'll pry my GBA slot from my cold dead hands.

'Nuff said. No fucking way I'm ditching my lite for an XL. With the larger footprint, Nintendo had the opportunity to reintroduce the GBA slot, but they seems to concerned about killing off their past generations, they didn't do it. Fuck 'em I say. I'll get a DS2 or whatever the next thing that comes out, but until then, the Lite is both my DS and GBA, and I'm not giving that up.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 08:21:29 PM »

They changed the hardware, it'd likely require another full blown revision to put the support back in. Plus the DS was about 4 and a half years old when they introduced the DSi, and the DSi XL will add another year to that; I think it's safe to drop the BC now.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »

Plus the DS was about 4 and a half years old when they introduced the DSi, and the DSi XL will add another year to that; I think it's safe to drop the BC now.

Some folks really like their backwards compatibility (at least when it's accurate).  DSi functionality really hasn't done anything to make up for the GBA BC.  It might, but nothing on the immediate horizon suggests otherwise.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 09:40:14 PM »

Oh, I do appreciate when systems have it, but there's a point where it's just not feasible or particularly relevant. The PS3 is more of a serious offender there due to how lively the PS2 still was (and to some extent is) and the price point of both systems, and even that may have been justified due to the amount of heat generated and the launch units YLODing. The DS though? Used GBA SPs are $40 with Micros at $30 if you can find them, and while there is some merit to not carrying around multiple systems... well, how often are you going to keep switching between the two anyway?
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 10:52:50 AM »

There's no real incentive to do backwards compatibility anymore, not when sales of remakes and ports have shown that consumers stuck on nostalgia are ready to put down money on games they've already played all over again.  The God of War collection did really well, and my owning a copy of the Sega Genesis collection on my 360 reveals that I am guilty as charged.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 02:53:45 PM »

There's no real incentive to do backwards compatibility anymore

I thought this was the opposite. BC didn't even come abount until the GBA and PS2 hit the market. The 360, Wii and orignal DS/DSLite added to that list. Suddenly, now, we're going backwords with dropping BC.

On one hand it's worse to drop BC with a full console because since size and form factor isn't so much of an issue, you'd think it would be insanely easy to just tack on a few mass-produced chips that include full versions of older systems. Also, since all media on consoles is optical now, you don't have to have additional hardware to read the material. So yes, the PS3 is absolutely disgraceful in this regard.

But on the other hand, it's so much more relivant to the handheld market, because then it means you're forced to actually carry multipul systems with you. I would say that about 30% of the games I play on the DS are still GBA games, so that's pretty relivant to me. And I'm not even a huge handheld player, so I'm guessing that's even more relivant to other people.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 03:57:01 PM »

There's no real incentive to do backwards compatibility anymore, not when sales of remakes and ports have shown that consumers stuck on nostalgia are ready to put down money on games they've already played all over again.

Unfortunately, that's as much of a reason as any why backwards compatibility is going to become a thing of the past.  Though not having to shell 6 AA batteries into my Nomad every few hours made the PSP compilation worth my while for some of those games.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 05:17:10 PM »

I'm going to hold off on an XL (barring some catastrophe) as I had just gotten an DSi to replace my broken DSlite.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 05:55:32 PM »

BC didn't even come abount until the GBA and PS2 hit the market.

lolnosegasayshi

ataritoo
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »

Also Yamauchi wanted the SNES to be backwards compatible with the NES (God, that would have been awesome) but it wasn't technologically feasible.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 01:41:52 AM »

I'm happy with my 2005-bought original.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: