Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:10:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318868 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  To import or not to import? - Vesperia PS3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: To import or not to import? - Vesperia PS3  (Read 8880 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2010, 09:26:39 PM »

I have been eagerly awaiting any news about a localization of Tales of Vesperia for the PS3 and so far there have been nothing but rumours.  Do you think this is actually coming?  It would seem like a no-brainer for me since they already localized most of it for the 360 version, but then Namco Bandai does seem to make some strange decisions sometimes.

If it's going to be coming out in English at some point I would prefer to play it in a language I am comfortable with.  But if it isn't...I'd rather play the Japanese version than not play it.  Note that I have not played the 360 version before (I do not have a 360...) and I do have some basic Japanese skills but I'm still far from fluent.  From my experience with the Japanese demo I could understand most of it, and if I was really dedicated I could pause and look up what I didn't understand, but it's a bit of a pain to play like that...actually, that would be pretty good practice so there is an argument for importing ;)

The thing is, I'm actually going to Japan next week so it would make sense to pick up a copy while I'm there.  That's why I'm trying to make a decision now.  It's not like I need the game right now, though, as I have plenty to keep me occupied.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:53:34 PM »

If you imported it and did a lot of look up with the JApanese you didn't know, you'd probably get really good at reading Japanese.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 10:19:43 PM »

A lot of the appeal of Tales of Vesperia IMO comes from the characters so I'd recommend against importing it. Even if your Japanese gets good enough that you can understand it all, you have to take into account the slower reading speed. Like me, I'm fluent in Chinese, but when playing the Chinese version of Legend of Heroes 6: Sora no Kiseki, I'm going to be playing at maybe a third to a half of my normal RPG playing speed whenever I come across a story segment due to my much slower reading speed in Chinese compared to English.

So I'd say wait. Either it'll come to the US PS3 (seems unlikely) or you could pick up a 360 & the game for dirt cheap a few years down the line.

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 10:23:17 PM »

Well, rumor says it is already english localized, and the problem is that they havent decided a release date, wich, is bad for me since i want the game, but i think is smart considering all the games coming this Q1

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:14:26 PM »

I had a similar dilemma with Tales of Vesperia when it came out on 360.  I only had a Wii at the time and infinitely preferred a PS3 over a 360.  I ended up buying the game and later an arcade 360.  Before I got a chance to play it, my buddy offered to let me borrow his 360 and I accepted.  Resold my purchased 360, props to my friend.

If you're in no rush, wait it out. I'm guessing it's not gonna happen though since Namco has historically announced Tales games for localization around the time of the Japanese release and it's been nearly five months.  Namco can be as thick-skulled as Nintendo when it comes to localizing  games sometimes.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 11:31:09 PM »

Namco can be as thick-skulled as Nintendo when it comes to localizing  games sometimes.

Namco's worse really. Usually with Nintendo you can understand WHY (yes, even with Mother 3) and if a series is firmly established here they'll likely localize future titles. In the case of Namco it's a crap shot with each Tales game, and you can pretty much just give up on more niche games (especially RPGs) unless they're actually feeling nice enough to license them out to someone.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 11:49:09 PM »

Maybe you should wait awhile since there's always a Tales news every Feb-April.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 01:07:09 AM »

Namco can be as thick-skulled as Nintendo when it comes to localizing  games sometimes.

Namco's worse really. Usually with Nintendo you can understand WHY (yes, even with Mother 3) and if a series is firmly established here they'll likely localize future titles. In the case of Namco it's a crap shot with each Tales game, and you can pretty much just give up on more niche games (especially RPGs) unless they're actually feeling nice enough to license them out to someone.

Nevermind that Nintendo is actually pretty decent at localizing if they get around to it versus Namco which is pretty loving terrible at it (or inconsistent at best). Just look at ToP and the PSP LoH games (they couldn't even get the order of those games right).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 01:28:05 AM »

Admittedly I wouldn't really blame Namco on that one, the first one came out under Bandai's label and the second, I think, just after they merged. I hear 3 had a competent localization.

No excusing Phantasia though! And while Vesperia seems pretty good it sounds like it may've been a bit rushed.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 01:43:04 AM »

^ seeing as they are considering a sequel, and seeing as how the 360 owners got burnt. No surprise.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 01:53:37 AM »

I actually didn't care so much for Mother 3, never played the others.  I was actually referring to Nintendo of America and their retarded reasons for not releasing some games here.  Mixed reviews shut down Another Code R.  Poor sales in other regions for Disaster clearly meant no one wanted it in NA. They denied having publishing rights to Fatal Frame 4 then Tecmo responded saying it was their decision, no word from NoA since.  Those aren't AAA, million seller games, but core gamers unlike casual gamers anticipate games before release and when they don't come "just because".... eff off.

Sorry to go off topic.

^I'd rather have games released a full year or two before a port happens. Rumour has it that Last Remnant might actually be revived and probably improved for PS3. lol

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 02:14:11 AM »

I wonder if it might be too early for Another Code R to be written off... but maybe not, given how poorly Trace Memory sold it isn't a surprise it was passed. That's the one I find most unfortunate though, Disaster's reception was lukewarm, while Fatal Frame 4 apparently had a bunch of horrific bugs that Tecmo didn't care to address. And ignoring the pointer for aiming the flash light? Seriously? At least Shattered Memories realized the squandered potential there.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 02:57:32 AM »

Another Code R has been out since February and June of '09 in Japan and Europe respectively, I really do hope NoA has some secret delayed plan for it. Disaster from what I hear is one of those wii adventures that does too much and feels unpolished ala The Crystal Bearers. Thing is, its release time frame was around the '08 holidays when Animal Crossing and Wii Music was Nintendo's big holiday line-up so it was saddening to see it ignored and I sort of collect all things Monolith Soft... ya... As for Fatal Frame, no excuses for the bugs, could have been fixed during localization. Using the pointer probably would not have worked since horror games rely on fixed cameras and I know Fatal Frame does as well. Oh well, I lived to pass on the hate.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 03:34:06 AM »

Using the pointer probably would not have worked since horror games rely on fixed cameras and I know Fatal Frame does as well. Oh well, I lived to pass on the hate.

Maybe there's fixed angle sections, but the videos I watched had a behind the shoulders camera. If the whole game was like that then there was little excuse to have not used pointer control.

And... Geez, it's been that long since Another Code R came out? Guess it is safe to give up hope. :/
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 04:23:54 AM »

Yeah, the camera angle is fixed.  The camera will follow the player down a corridor or hallway and pan left and right through a screen, but it's not behind the shoulder style as in Resident Evil 4/5 or Fragile.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: