Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 11:21:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341218 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Grandia Series
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Grandia Series  (Read 4926 times)
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2010, 09:22:55 AM »

I played Grandia years ago on the playstation and still play it today on the ps2 while finding it to be enjoyable after all these years. Great story, music and graphics. I then got Grandia II for the Dreamcast and played it through to completion and unfortunately sold it along with the system. Years later I regretted getting rid of Grandia II so then I found Grandia III for the ps2 and I still find this an enjoyable series. Story this time around seemed much more predictable and the graphics while good seemed behind all the other series for the ps2. Still enjoyed it though. Just the other day I came across Grandia II for the ps2 and picked it up again and still to this day find it to be an enjoyable play through. Grandia Xtreme was the only one of the series I gave up on. The dungeons were awful.

Anyone know of Grandia IV in the works or any other Grandia title?
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 10:33:20 AM »

Supposedly Grandia Online is in the works, but I haven't heard anything otherwise.

I personally found the PSX port of Grandia to be incredibly sloppy, given frequent freezes and slowdown, and the awful voice acting, but then again, my discs were a tad scratched.

fates

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 02:14:40 PM »

PS2 Grandia 2 port lagged horribly...

I enjoyed what I played of it, but I just couldn't get through it with the lag.

Wonder how the PC version would run if used on a high-end rig.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 03:33:35 PM »

From what I hear, the Dreamcast version is the only good version of the game.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 03:50:22 PM »

Supposedly there's a patch that addresses some issues (I never looked for it), but the PC version is worse.  Tons of sound effects are missing, and audio can't fade in/out which adversely affects presentation.  With the way it was ported, it's as if there was only one sound channel available for music/background effects, and a second channel for sound effects or voice acting.  As an example, when approaching the fountain in the center of the village of Carbo, the background music shuts off and then you hear the fountain at full volume.  Once you start walking away, at a specific point the fountain audio abruptly stops and the background music resumes.  On Dreamcast, the sound of rushing water from the fountain is supposed to increase in volume as you get closer to it and fade as you walk away from it with the background music adjusting volume based on how loud the water is, but never shutting off entirely.

Then there's the hilariously low resolution pre-rendered videos in the game, some of which run at 160x120 or 240x160 resolution.  Can't remember which it is, but in either case, they are pixelated beyond belief.  It also doesn't help that some of the spell effect videos run at 30 FPS instead of the original 15 FPS used for the Dreamcast game.  While one might think this is better, the problem is that whomever converted the videos didn't duplicate frames in the conversion, so the spell effect videos run twice as fast.  The audio for the spells however, are still the same speed.

It's so hilarious how bad the port was.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 04:53:11 PM »

Wonder how the PC version would run if used on a high-end rig.

Unless they've updated it significantly, it wont... at all.

Back when it was released, the company that ported it had some terrinble beef with NT/XP and refused to patch it to play on anything above Windows ME. If you played it on 2000/XP it would run, but all the shadows were really messed up, and the load times were slow. Aside from that, it worked great with very little clipping or tearing (unlike reports of the PS2 version).

However, a few years later I noticed that it was on GameTap, which MUST mean that they patched it to work with XP, so maybe that's all been taken care of now.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 09:53:33 PM »

Supposedly Grandia Online is in the works, but I haven't heard anything otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandia_Online

It's more than in the works. The open beta has been running for months, and it's close to "retail release." On Christmas '09 the official two disc soundtrack was released via TWO FIVE records. It's all Iwadare, almost all new music. I will have a review of said soundtrack on the site soon. :)

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:04:50 PM »

From what I hear, the Dreamcast version is the only good version of the game.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 10:58:43 PM »

I personally found the PSX port of Grandia to be incredibly sloppy, given frequent freezes and slowdown, and the awful voice acting, but then again, my discs were a tad scratched.

Never had a freezing problem with it ever. Some of the voice acting is dodgy, but no worse than anything else of that era.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 11:14:28 PM »

I've only played II and III. Second game is one of my favourite RPGs, I've played every version of the game.  Third started out ok-ish, but then it just went from one overly long dungeon crawl straight to another, I got sick of the game and never finished it.  In between, I heard Xtreme was a pure dungeon crawl with little story so I avoided that one.  Not to excited for Grandia Online for that same reason, MMORPGs are the epitome of tedious in my dictionary. That said, if Game Arts ever releases the first one on PSN, I'll be happy to give it a go on my PSP go.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 01:36:50 AM »

The PS2 version wasn't that laggy. The only really irritating slowdowns were in some towns. In battles they were there, but easily tolerable.

And I don't know if it was just my disc, but I also came across some really fucked up texture bugs during battles, enemies or characters would just randomly become completely white for the remainder of a battle.

That didn't stop me from deeply enjoying that game though.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 04:24:16 PM »

I started with III and worked my way down with this series and found it all pretty enjoyable. I can see why people would be really disappointed with Grandia III the if they played the series from the start.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 05:08:40 PM »

Only played 2. Aside from the battle system I found it mind numbingly cliche.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 05:32:50 PM »

I've only played #3. I enjoyed it when I played it because the battle system was fantastic. I would probably still enjoy it today, but I think the story would make me groan more than it originally did.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 06:21:07 PM »

but I think the story would make me groan more than it originally did.

3 had the worst villain ever. It's one thing to have a bad villain. It's another when they actually think it's a good villain and shove him down your throat. They wanted so badly to go for the sympathetic villain thing. And I didn't feel a drop of sympathy. Just rising annoyance.

As for the other games. I don't remember too much about one besides the basic character designs, knocking shit over where ever I walked and some big wall. But I liked it.

Grandia II I just had two complaints. Ryudo's supposed to be a badass who doesn't give a fuck and he just kind of stops being one. Not to be confused with character development, he just changes for no reason. Maybe because there was a conflict with the story or something. 'Can you go to the nearby cave and save our villagers?' 'Nah fuck you buddy.' doesn't make for much a game.

Second thing being that, spoilers I guess, though we're probably past the statute of limitations..

Code:
Milenia was part of Elena. They should have combined to form a more well rounded individual. Instead they kept them apart for the sole reason of letting the player ship the hero with whichever one they thought was hotter.

I did really enjoy II though. Just more fun to rant than go 'Yeah, fun game'.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: