Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:15:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327320 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Grandia Series
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Grandia Series  (Read 4760 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 06:35:52 PM »

My biggest annoyance with Grandia II was

Code:
when Millenia "dies" by sacrificing herself.  They have this big old dramatic scene, and then later she's all
"lolno just kidding guys i actually did not sacrifice myself at all because i am part of elena" making all that
sob story stuff completely pointless.  She ceased to be an awesome character from that point.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 07:11:59 PM »

That happened at the very end, it couldn't have possible become the biggest annoyance. Ofcourse I've heard that complaint often, but it never bothered me, nothing's impossible in a fantasy story.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 07:39:23 PM »

The main problem I had with Grandia III's story is that it had potential, but completely missed the point.  It could've been a simple, yet beautiful, story about a boy, his plane, and his dreams of reaching out and touching the sky like his hero Sky Captain Schmidt.  It seemed to start out that way and would have been really nice, thematically, but Grandia III eschewed all of that in favor of some cliched bullshit with an annoying amnesiac mysterious girl and the power of love and friendship being able to save an ailing world.  It's like a beautiful plate of french fries completely killed by a gallon of ketchup.  

Grandia II was my favorite of the series, though I will +1 what Parn said in his spoiler.  The endgame portion of Grandia II was kinda weak, what with
Code:
both the bait-and-switch with Millennia dying and Ryudo become a total bleeding heart at the end.

Grandia was good (the Nana, Saki, and Mio boss music is one of my favorite boss themes), but at times it felt like it dragged on too long.  One reviewer back in the day said it was like one spoonful of peanut butter being used for an entire loaf of bread.  

But, really, with Grandia the silver linings are always the battle system and the dinnertime conversations.  Still one of the most fun turn-based battle engines I've ever used, no matter what the Grandia game.  And the dinnertime convos flesh out the characters nicely.  It's cool to see them shed the hero-ness, sit back, and just be "normal kids" for a while.  EDIT: Special mention to the music.  I think some of Iwadare's best battle themes are in the Grandia games. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:41:41 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 07:53:35 PM »

I liked Grandia II but its "RELIGION IS EVIL" theme could have been delivered with a little more subtlety.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 08:18:54 AM »

I liked Grandia II but its "RELIGION IS EVIL" theme could have been delivered with a little more subtlety.

Are you trying to imply that there was any subtlety employed at all (or for anything within the game for that matter)?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 10:22:08 AM »

But, really, with Grandia the silver linings are always the battle system and the dinnertime conversations.  Still one of the most fun turn-based battle engines I've ever used, no matter what the Grandia game.  And the dinnertime convos flesh out the characters nicely.  It's cool to see them shed the hero-ness, sit back, and just be "normal kids" for a while.  EDIT: Special mention to the music.  I think some of Iwadare's best battle themes are in the Grandia games. 
This, a hundred times.

As for my thoughts on the series,there's not much I can really say, besides that I'm a raging fanboy for the series. :P

But as much as I loved Grandia 1, I kinda found that I didn't actually fall in love with it until disc 2 started. Disc 2 was fantastic. It was the opposite for Grandia 3. I liked how it started, but once Miranda left the party, and even worse one I hit disc 2, that game just fell apart like a stack of Jenga blocks. The only thing that really kept me playing to the very end of the game was how satisfying pulling off three air combos back to back was. I'd even leave weaker weapons equipped, just so i could keep the combos going. :P And despite all the complaints about it, I kinda liked Grandia Xtreme. Mostly for what Dincrest said. The battle system for the series will always remain as the best I have come across, for a turn-based RPG. I can't get enough of it.

As for Grandia 2 though, that game will remain as one of my favorite games ever. While I do share the same sentiments about Ryudo and Millenia as other people do, it won't change the fact that it's still one of the best RPG experiences I have ever had. It'd be neat if it ever has an incarnation with 3's air combos, and Xtreme's team skill attacks, as well as the harder battles of both. Doubt that would ever happen though.

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 11:25:20 AM »

I adore the Grandia series. I have fond memories of Grandia 1 (Played it on the Saturn first, then the PSX) and Grandia II on dreamcast. Grandia 3 though...oh god. I can sum up the game as such.

LOVE LOVE LOVE EMELIOUS LOVE LOVE LOVE EMELIOUS LOVE LOVE XOOOOOORRRRN! LOVE!

Goddamn it, Grandia 3. You had such promise in the beginning, and then the plot fell into almost MST3K riffing territory.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 11:38:56 AM »

Dizzy- thanks for reminding me about Miranda.  Yeah, that was cool how a parent was an active part of a JRPG quest.  You don't see that every day.  But once again, the plot missed the point and ditched her.

I approve of this nonsense!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 12:48:02 PM »

That happened at the very end, it couldn't have possible become the biggest annoyance. Ofcourse I've heard that complaint often, but it never bothered me, nothing's impossible in a fantasy story.

Just because you can do whatever you want in ANY story doesn't mean it should be done, or that it will be good. That was awful story telling.

Also, do you seriously want to argue about whether or not that was the biggest annoyance? Stop and think about what that says about the rest of the game if that's the biggest one he has.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 01:12:58 PM »

At least they didn't go back in time and replace her with a doll they won at the carnival.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »

At least they didn't go back in time and replace her with a doll they won at the carnival.

Though they at least put some effort there, this is just "Hi, I was here all along!"
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 07:11:36 PM »

I loathe how overused fake deaths are in media in general. But I can't get worked up on grandia doing it, because everyone does it. It's gotten so bad that my problem isn't people coming back. It's when people actually die in a game/book/anime/movie/tv show and I don't feel a thing because I assume it's a swerve.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 07:16:54 PM »

Der Jermeister:

I'll just leave this here: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3315889

Anyway, Grandia. I like how Grandia 1 is one of the few RPGs that actually took your characters position and the notion of enemies moving around to attack you... and did something with it. Like, visually, sure SoA had your dudes takin' swipes at the other dude, but it was just visual. Grandia 1 was actually BASED around that.

I guess ValkyrieProfile is sort of similar in the kind of, mm... timing issues that come up from it, and strategies, and what have you.

I always felt like a game mixing XGish comboes with Grandia's notion of charge, positioning, and movement would be really neat, especially if it incorporated some features where weak, normal, and strong attacks had different charges, so that you could, say, interrupt combos or something.

Pretty cool dungeon designs too, I thought. Never got far. Should try again.

Anyway, just wish it was less linear or something.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 07:56:55 PM »

Holy fuck, I just realised where your avatar is from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Telefrancais.jpg

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »

Grandia's one of my personal favorite RPGs, though the magic system in the game is really annoying to use now. I've never played 2 or 3, though I want to play 2. My understanding is that if you've never played the DC version of the game, you won't notice the bad porting too much with the other versions, and it still stands as a great game regardless.

I'm not at all interested in Grandia Online. The art style and tone of the original Grandia reminds me a bit of a Miyazaki film (Which was what they were going for, actually), while the MMO is trying to be like Grandia 1, except it's completely missing the point and making it a generic cutesy fantasy MMORPG. It honestly looks worse than a ton of FTP MMOs out there like Flyff and whatnot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: