Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 04:09:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334409 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  XBOX 360 RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: XBOX 360 RPGs  (Read 4656 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 06:57:31 PM »

Once again, the correct answer is both because you are missing out on great games either way. I know I wouldn't want to pick between the two.

Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 06:58:59 PM »

If you're buying for the present, I guess 360 has a better lineup of RPGs available. But!

Finished RPG Count: 90
jello44

We have visitors!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »

That didn't take long.  Commence the PS3 butthurt!

It's OK.  Only reason I'm trolling is because I'm still waiting for the UPS guy to deliver my Mass Effect 2 CE.

This is why I love you... in a totally non-sexual way.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 04:22:31 AM »

Depends on how much you want it now and what games you're interested in anyway. The 360's definitely better for now, but exclusives seem to be drying up and if you're not interested in the Mass Effect series or the JRPGs currently out there might not be much reason to bother.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 09:04:40 AM »

It's hard to believe that the xbox has been around for almost 5 years, and the RPG scene is overall quite pathetic. At this point in the PS2's life it had many fantastic RPG's to choose from.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 04:32:59 PM »

I recommend:
Mass Effect
Fallout 3
The Last Remnant (though I played it on PC and recommend you do as well if you can)
Dragon Age Origins (same as the above, but I own the 360 version of this as well and it's great on the 360 too)
Blue Dragon
Borderlands
Tales of Vesperia

Ones I found semi-decent (this is in order from what I found most decent to what I found least decent):
Oblivion
Lost Odyssey
Enchanted Arms
Fable II
Eternal Sonata
Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Avoid like the plague:
Infinite Undiscovery
Too Human
Two Worlds
Spectral Force 3
Divinity II
Operation Darkness
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:46:44 PM by jj984jj » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 08:45:03 PM »

I recommend:
Mass Effect
Fallout 3
The Last Remnant (though I played it on PC and recommend you do as well if you can)
Dragon Age Origins (same as the above, but I own the 360 version of this as well and it's great on the 360 too)
Blue Dragon
Borderlands
Tales of Vesperia

Actually, that PC statement could apply to the games above too (ESPECIALLY Mass Effect, though 2 runs fine), leaving only the ones below for consoles. Even Borderlands since that sounds like it works better on the 360 over the PC/PS3.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 11:09:21 PM »

It's hard to believe that the xbox has been around for almost 5 years, and the RPG scene is overall quite pathetic. At this point in the PS2's life it had many fantastic RPG's to choose from.

That analogy isn't even close to relevant though.  The PS2 was undisputed king of the previous generation, it had more than triple the library of the other systems, probably combined.  In this gen, the 360 and PS3 are at each other's throats for every title, and most end up being multi-platform because of that.  Add in the fact that JRPG companies are moving away from systems because of the trend towards handhelds in Japan and the fact that a large number of WRPG companies are or were focused primarily on PC development until very recently, and you have a situation that isn't exactly friendly to the production of RPG's.

I mean, honestly.  You might as well ask why the N-Gage doesn't have as many platformers as the Gameboy did in as many years.

Edit: Still not seeing what was so incredibly bad about Operation Darkness.  I think a lot of the people deriding it haven't even played it.  I mean, it's ok to not like it, but to say it's as bad as Infinite Undiscovery?  That's fucking harsh man.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:11:42 PM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 08:00:53 AM »

I recommend:
Mass Effect
Fallout 3
Blue Dragon
Borderlands
Tales of Vesperia

Actually, that PC statement could apply to the games above too (ESPECIALLY Mass Effect, though 2 runs fine), leaving only the ones below for consoles. Even Borderlands since that sounds like it works better on the 360 over the PC/PS3.

Actually I would simply recommend skipping the 360 version of TLR. Its a good game (if you're into games like Ogre Battle and the SaGa series) but the PC version fixes a lot of the technical issues that plagued the 360 version along with addressing other issues like how many leaders can you make/have at one time and so on.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 09:23:09 AM »

That analogy isn't even close to relevant though.  The PS2 was undisputed king of the previous generation, it had more than triple the library of the other systems, probably combined.  In this gen, the 360 and PS3 are at each other's throats for every title, and most end up being multi-platform because of that.  Add in the fact that JRPG companies are moving away from systems because of the trend towards handhelds in Japan and the fact that a large number of WRPG companies are or were focused primarily on PC development until very recently, and you have a situation that isn't exactly friendly to the production of RPG's.

I mean, honestly.  You might as well ask why the N-Gage doesn't have as many platformers as the Gameboy did in as many years.

Edit: Still not seeing what was so incredibly bad about Operation Darkness.  I think a lot of the people deriding it haven't even played it.  I mean, it's ok to not like it, but to say it's as bad as Infinite Undiscovery?  That's fucking harsh man.

Handheld RPG's this gen are fine, but they feel like handheld games...sometimes you just need a big budget complex game.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 06:17:20 PM »

Way to completely miss the point of my post there, buddy.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 06:28:29 PM »

No, I think your point was that the PS2 had a larger than usual number of RPGs and that the PS3 and 360 don't have as many due to a shift to handheld gaming in Japan where most games are developed...I got that, I just don't care for many handheld RPG's and wish this gen stacked up to the last.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 06:52:19 PM »

Actually, while I lean towards Gen's view point here it IS worth pointing out as well that the Xbox isn't exactly Japan's first choice for consoles, and only now has the PS3 reached reasonable prices. It doesn't seem improbable that they're going to start kicking in on the PS3 now, even if it's diminished compared to prior consoles.

As for Western RPGs: really, it's been about a few juggernauts putting titles out. Bethesda and Bioware are practically the only ones putting out any worth playing, and we've reliably gotten an RPG from one of the two each year from 2006 onwards.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:54:26 PM by Eusis » Logged
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 08:42:38 PM »

Yes, I suppose you're right that the xbox isn't popular in Japan, which is why all the games are being ported to the PS3 eventually. Hopefully FF13 jump starts this gen.
professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 11:35:10 PM »

Operation Darkness is a pretty good SRPG as long as you don't try to use the camera as a 3PS camera like apparently many people tried to, and as long as you make sure to take advantage of the encumberance system.

Anyway, I'd actually suggest a PSP over a system if you want RPG's.  Handhelds are the place to go for decent RPG's this gen, and you already have the DS so you might as well go for that one.

Good post.  Good advice.

Alfa System Forever
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: