Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 08:19:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329981 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Superman Returns
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Superman Returns  (Read 5130 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2006, 03:58:38 AM »

The comic book fan in me loved this movie.
The movie critic in me hated it.

Kate Bosworth is the worst actress of our time.

The end.

See this movie.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 07:00:44 AM »

Bosworth was bland.

Routh reminded me of Reeve a bit in some parts; in others, not so much. But that's a very good thing!

I LOVED THIS FILM. The opening sequence got me right into it, and it carried me all the way. That's a feat, considering the film is what, 2:40?

Spoiler time:
Code:
Oh my god where to begin. FUCK YES @ OLD-SCHOOL ZOOMTEXT INTRO. They put all of the diehards in the mood instantly.

SPACEY, I FUCKING LOVE YOU. Same with Parker Posey! They were BRILLIANT in this film. There was a little too much humor at first, but the Island scene completely made up for that.

Poor James Marsden. First, as Cyclops he has no chance of matching the coolnees that is Wolverine. Then, he's a jet-flying newspaper editor who's stinkin' rich, and he has to compete with Superman. Can he get a break? heh... I'm very glad they didn't go where I thought they were with him trying to get all pissy at Supes.

All of the references to the movies and comics...so great. The meteorite chunk at the museum and Perry standing over the two newspaper headlines stick out the most as I type this.

The kid...I just hope that doesn't become a franchise-breaker in part 2 or 3.

The film got me so involved that the Island scene felt uncomfortable to watch... almost! Spacey was so cold, so ruthless in the brief encounter that you just wanted to see him get whaled on...but you knew it wouldn't happen. And the shard...well after seeing the trailer and seeing him pick it up, that was obvious, but the symbolism was great.

Bosworth of course had to be the heroine at the end of it. It's acceptable though, considering it IS Lois fucking Lane. That scene, and the one where she is telling Perry she doesn't want to cover Superman's return, are the only ones that actually felt like the real Lois Lane. She was just a freakin housewife to me every other time she was onscreen.

A kind of "temporary emotional attachment" is necessary for the characters' (and the movie's) overall "legitimacy" in the eyes of its biggest fans: Superman is a genuine hero and you want to root for him every step of the way. They captured him perfectly, IMO.

Dio

... I'm not Dead.

SummonerDio@msn.com Diobility Diobility
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 07:51:24 AM »

The movie was GREAT, especially in IMAX 3D vision!

All I gotta say is, the airplane scene... BEST SCENE EVER!!

Infinite.Bit Radio
Dedicated station to actual video game and anime music from various soundtracks. No radio show podcasts or anything like that... Just pure 100% music. Old, new and remade tracks is what you'll hear from us.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 12:13:40 PM »

Daveyboy....you hit the nail on the fucking head.

As for Brandon Routh....I really didnt expect to like him, but amazingly he did a great job! Yeah so he doesnt have the build, big deal, neither did Chris Reeve. I AM bummed Tom Welling didn't get the part, but at least we get him every week on Smallville, which I am now going to start rewatching on DVD and hopefully get through Season 4 by the time 5 comes out in September.

Oh man though, what a great fucking movie.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Dio

... I'm not Dead.

SummonerDio@msn.com Diobility Diobility
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 03:00:49 PM »

As far as the other characters, I thought Kevin Spacy did a great job as Lex, and honestly, that pretty much ends it for me. Honestly, who goes to watch a Superman movie to see Lois Lane or Jimmy Olsen? I wanna see Superman do his thing, and Lex be the biggest asshole genius he can be. :P

Infinite.Bit Radio
Dedicated station to actual video game and anime music from various soundtracks. No radio show podcasts or anything like that... Just pure 100% music. Old, new and remade tracks is what you'll hear from us.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 04:27:42 PM »

SPOILERS: My post has massive spoilers so read the coded sections at your own risk.

"Holy Shit" is about all I could say after seeing it about an hour ago. I don't even know where to begin myself! But I'll give it a shot.

I guess first off I have to say I loved this movie on multiple levels. As a fan of Superman, as a fan of movies, and as a fan of literature. Why Literature?

Simple:

Code:
Luthor set off the pace by comparing himself to Prometheus. Which is a very skewed comparison considering Prometheus was the greatest friend of mankind. All he really did that was like Prometheus was steal the fire (knowledge) of Superman (God). Though I thought it was fitting Luthor ended up stuck on a rock.

There were plenty more symbolic allusions to Greek and Christian myth. Obviously the part where Superman catches the globe from the top of the Daily Planet was an allusion to Atlas who was charged with holding the weight of the world on his shoulders. There was also the portrayal of Superman as a Christ-like Savior figure. However, the fact that Jason is his son kind of flips that on its head. Therefore Superman = God and Jason = a potential Christ. Plus the little speech that Superman gave Jason at the end.

And Yes, I know Jor-El gave Superman the same speech.

Okay, I guess you could just say I was glad Superman was finally given the myth treatment as the character has become a modern myth.

With that aside I guess I can go into my other thoughts on the movie that aren't so literary.

Code:
Brandon Routh. I was extremely pleased. I thought he'd be perfect when I saw him on the Golden Globe Awards a few months ago, but he even beat my expectations. He wasn't QUITE as geeky as Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent, but pretty close. I don't even need to go into him as Superman because he just rocked.

Kate Bosworth. Although part of me wants to agree with everyone that she didn't do that good of a job since she lacked the "in-your-face" attitude of the Lois of yore, the other part has to disagree. Lois had become a mother, and let's face it, kids change people. I thought it was only natural she be somewhat toned down and conservative. But that's just me.

Kevin Spacey. He was fucking fantastic.

Special effects were really well done. If I hadn't known better I would have been fooled.

I especially liked the "dark" crystal continent Luthor created. It was just such the opposite of Krypton and Superman's Fortress.

Though I have to admit. I seriously almost cried when Luthor and his thugs were beating up on Superman. When Luthor stabbed Superman with the Kryptonite shard I felt REAL hate and anguish. It wasn't watered down by the comfort that the movie is fiction/fantasy; it was real.

And of course, I loved it when Jason ran up and kissed Superman when he was in the hospital bed. It almost made me cry again.

I don't think I've ever been so emotionally involved in a movie, video game, or book the way I was with this movie. It was that good. I'm going to go see it again...a few times probably.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 06:16:51 AM »

Just watched the movie today.

It was really good, definitely on my list of top ten superhero films of all time. Kevin Spacey and Brendan Routh really seemed to me like they were perfect for their roles. I didn't expect Routh to be that good, but the film proved me wrong.

Nothing much I can add to what everyone above has said. :-)

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 03:56:42 PM »

Hated Bosworth, hated
Code:
the kid concept
.  Really liked the movie, and I thought it handled
Code:
the kid thing
decently.

A lot of good classic Superman moments in it.  The World's Finest fan in me got a little giddy when they mentioned Gotham the once.  

One pretty random thing that bugged me at the end:
Code:
So, you've got Superman recovering at the hospital, and Lois comes in.  She knows his powers are fueled by the sun, she's mentioned it in the movie already.  The blinds are obviously closed, and she doesn't open them.

Good movie, though.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 12:03:21 AM »

Wow, I didn't even notice that one. I'll have to go back and see it.

(YET ANOTHER EXCUSE)

White_Mage
Banninated

charlie2009kck@hotmail.com charliekc09 charlie_rpg_2009_kck
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 03:29:46 PM »

I think this will be the best superman movie to name. Im really wanna go and see this.

[img:610b75be1e]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/thedarkrider/attentionwhore.gif[/img:610b75be1e]
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 07:08:56 PM »

I didn't think it was going to be anything spectacular but I thought it was maybe the best movie I've seen all year.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 08:46:17 PM »

Fantastic visuals, great cast, and everything.  I love you rlittle referances to past books riddled throughout the film.  Brandom looks quite a bit like Reeve (and the movie was dedicated to the deceased Mr. and Mrs. if you didnt notice).
Im happy with how they changed the eye beam.  From a red laser-pointer-esque effect to an actual heat wave.
And the movie well displays his power.

Code:
I dunno....I thought the plot was a bit lacking though.
THe kid thing always plays an awkward approach in sequels, IMO.  Personally, I find it may make a scene or two feel like that kid gets in the way.  He was cute though, running around with the garbage on his head. Hehe.  IMO, they could have found someone more for the part of Lois Lane better than Bosworth.  She's hot, and looking mighty fine for a mum (and you can't go wrong with two different coloured eyes), but didn't really look like the conventional Lois... or act like it for that matter (as someone said, her atitude is gone)

I loved Lex, Spacey does some good work.  But his plot seemed a bit odd.  Sure he uses the crystals to make a gigantic chunk of land so he can build little damn resorts on it, but the bloody thing destroys half of the USA in the meanwhile the world would be in hysterics of your latest resort just destroying a piece of North America....So, yeah, lets go live there, its beautiful.  THen you got Lex and his thugs just camping out there playing cards waiting for lord knows what.

Apparently Routh is signed on to do two more, should be great. =)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 11:31:36 AM »

I only have one small complaint:
Code:
I don't think they spent enough time developing the Lex and Superman thing. I understand where this falls in the movie continuity, but for being arch nemesis it seems like it was a minor part. Ultimately, I felt they resolved the big plot by Lex way to fast.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 12:13:22 PM »

Yeah, I had a few friends who enjoyed it but hadn't seen 1 or 2, and they definitely missed some stuff.  My favorite was
Code:
Kitty's line asking Lex about whether he'd been in the Fortress before.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 08:10:28 PM »

Yeah...

Code:
Lex seemed genuinely hate-filled, but it felt like Superman had just seen Luthor for the first time. You can probably attribute it to Kevin Spacey kicking such ridiculous amounts of ass.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: